Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 5, 2006, 9:30 PM   #1

The pics I'm posting here were taken this morning just after the sun came up. I had the cam set for -.5 ev compensation, contrast and focus normal and bumped up the saturation. There was a reasoning to my madness on the ev compensation and saturation but the photos early this morning came out a little dark and over saturated. I was mildly surprised because the area is pretty start and sometimes photos look too bright and washed out. Perhaps I should have started out with everything set to normal. I am hoping to get some feedback about what settings I might try to get improved results.

I have to confess I had to straighten about 95% of the shots I took today. These have been straightened, slightly lightened and 1 pass sharpening. All comments and suggestions are most welcome.

Scovern Hot Springs. This area is protected and cannot be developed. The town of Lake Isabella is actually on the other side of the main road behind me

I found 3ravens lined up on the wooden fense posts earlier. We also see redtail hawks and an owl now and then. I already know I'm going toNEED a longer lens. :|

Maw Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2006, 10:35 PM   #2

Hello Maw. I like these photos, but I agree with you the settings are a little off. Personally, I like landscapes that are well saturated too. But when shooting landscapes, you usually have to bump up the ev to maybe +.5 or even +1 sometimes. The camera's meter gets fooled on those sunny bright days with lots of blue skies, and will usually underexpose. Try shooting in RAW, and boost the EV to the higher ev settings, and see how the results turn out for exposure. If you are a little overexposed, shooting in RAW will let you back off the exposure to a desireable level without losing a great amount of detail, where as jpg might not be able to handle it. Or if you shoot in jpg, try bracketing at 3 different levels, and see which works best for you. Keep experimenting with exposure. I'm constantly checking my camera's histogram to make sure I'm within my desired range of exposure. I used to always underexpose so as to save detail, but I've learned it's much better to try to achieve correct exposure of even a little bit overexposed (if shooting in RAW). I used to introduce noise into underexposed photos when processing, where as it's the opposite if you overexpose and back off the ev in processing...Hope this helps a little......cheers.....Don
thekman620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 8:10 AM   #3

Pentax cameras do tend to underexpose (the K100D a little less so than the DS), so I've been leaving the Ev to "0" with better results. Otherwise, I like your photos, the yellows and browns right now are so warm!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:09 AM   #4

Maw - What I do is set up the camera to show the histogram as part of theinstant reviewbefore it saves it. That way I just glance at the screen and can instantly tell if I am within range on the histogram. Ifthe histogram isa little left or right, I adjust and take another shot.

This setting is in the Custom Setting menu and is marked "Instant Review Dsply". I have mine set to 2. Also in the Rec Mode menu, I have "Instant Review" set to 3 sec. Maybe this will be a help to you. The histogram can be a powerful tool when it comes to getting the correct exposure. I have a DL, so the settings on the DS may be a little different, I'm just not sure- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:33 AM   #5

hey,

nice pics of an interesting part of the country.

read somewhat recently about "shooting to the right" with a digital camera and have been trying it ( as best as i can). just set the camera to review each shot with a histogram and keep the right side of the histogram filled without running off the edge (or maybe just a little if you've got some specular highlights that you don't mind beingburned out). as don said it's easy to darken a picture but hard to brighten very much without introducing noise. i mess with myexposure compensation button constantly (i shoot primarily in aperture priority) as conditions change. it does use batteries up faster reviewing each picture buti like the results.

apparently (going by what i read since i'm no expert) digital cameras use the brightest stop on the histogram for half of the recorded data, half of what's left is in the next brightest stop, half of what's left in the next, etc. so if you leave the right side empty you arelosing an awful lot of information. (if i've got that wrong somebody please correct me.)

all the best, eric
ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 1:10 PM   #6

Ok, Harriet and Eric, the saturation and ev are going back to normal/zero. It's all starting to sink in.

Bruce and Eric, I have the histogram display on, but I just don't know how to interpret what I was looking at. Most the information was recorded in the middle, and I'm talkin it was "bunched up in the middle. I tried a couple of different settings with aperture but really hadn't remembered that I had set ev to -.05 till I downloaded my picts. As I said it's all sinking in now, (or starting to).

-Ok so exposure settings on normal for normal daylight dusk to dawn right???

-For each type of lighting situations check histogram and make changes. And from what I shot yesterday I would want to see a more flattened histo with a healthy bias to the right (the light). Correct???

This discussion really leads me to my next question. That of aperture settings and how they also relate to focus, and what type of focus method to use. I believe the camera was set at auto (vs. multi segment or spot). In vast scenes like the 2 above, do you use different range of aperture and also different focus method vs shooting a smaller scale scene like the one below?

Thanks for taking time to look and comment. You all are very helpfull

Old Nov 6, 2006, 1:46 PM   #7

This last picture is really to my liking!

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 3:13 PM   #8

That last one is really nice! I use spot focus (center) because that's what I'm used to and I have a number of manual focus lenses (they are always center focus, center exposure). Though today I was having a problem with the "focus-half-press-reframe" - the K100D wouldn't maintain the focus lock (not a big problem - just change it to manual focus so it takes the picture anyway).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 4:09 PM   #9

Pardon me for being a little dense, but I'm trying to understand...

A: is spot focus is a good thing while taking photos of vast landscapes?

B: is there any benefit to multi segment focusing in a large landscape like my first 2 examples?

C: is spot focusing only when you want to isolate an object in a vast landscape and have it stand out in the picture?

C: all of the above???? Or none of the above?

Old Nov 6, 2006, 4:13 PM   #10

I mean D: all of the above:roll:

kjell thanks for looking and commenting.