Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 6, 2006, 4:53 AM   #1

hi, i want to get a filter, these are my choices and i have a k100d with the 18-55mm kit lens.

anybody have any experience with the below uv filters together with the pentax 18-55 lens?

i've read some threads saying that UV filters dont work on DSLRs? and pointless to get...

i'm looking for something to protect my lensandnot interfere (bad) with the outcome...pls help

"hoya hmc uv filter, hoya super hmc uv filter, hoya pro1d uv filter"

ryan
ryanmkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2006, 6:35 AM   #2

I have a Hoya Pro UV Filter & 'cheapo' UV filter from Jessops - price difference about £20.00 in favour of the Jessops filter.

I can honestly say that there is virtually NO reduction in glare when using the Hoya Pro filter over the Jessops filter - so I would advise buying the Hoya HMC UV Filter.

YES. I would advise putting a UV filter on the fron of each & every lens to protest it from dust, grime, salt spray etc. A filter costs less to replace than a lens.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 7:16 AM   #3

i use the hoya HMC (o). they are in the middle of the quality range. i think it's the silver package. be sure to get the (O) rated filters as the (N) is not optical glass.

catbells, with the new 500mm i need a 112mm filter. do you have one laying around??

roy
Old Nov 6, 2006, 7:47 AM   #4

robar wrote:
Quote:
catbells, with the new 500mm i need a 112mm filter. do you have one laying around??
That'll teach you to have such a large piece of glass.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 7:53 AM   #5

don't get jealous about it.. lol
it'll be awhile before i can get one, if at all..
got a few days off and all it wants to do is rain.. oh well....

roy
Old Nov 6, 2006, 8:44 AM   #6
TDN

I just always use one on all my lenses, even if it is a cheap one.
Rather scratch that than my glass...

On my 50mm I even use an old sky filter all the time. Probably sinning against every rule in the book with that, but I haven't gotten to buying a UV for it, and I don't want to risk scratching this great lens.
Haven't seen any negative effects btw...
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 9:46 AM   #7

hi,

i use hoya hmc uv filters (on the 18-55 and a sigma 70-300) and like them. good value for cost which matches the kit lens for sure. still need to get one for my 50mm 1.7 and will likely stick with thehoya hmc.

all the best, eric
ejbrusselsprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 9:47 AM   #8

I agree with what has been said here and here is a link with lots of filters and good information. I have used them before and they seem to be good people.

http://www.2filter.com/index.htm

While we are on the subject of protecting and cleaning. How many of you like to use a lenspen, instead of the wet method of cleaning filters and lenses? I have used one for years and they seem to do a good job. I use the one with the brush built in, so you can brush off the dust first. I don't know whats in the cleaner felt, but it works. I still use the wet method first if the lens is really dirty, then finish up with the lenspen- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 8:20 PM   #9

Thank you for your replies, in summary, should i get a top of the range UV filter (Pro1D) in comparison to the mid priced Super HMC or the lower priced HMC? The Pro1D is like double cost of the HMC. I'm not sure if it works better in reducing glare, but in terms of protection, it'll be the same for any filter that is....

ryan
ryanmkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 6:37 AM   #10

Some facts:
- the best protection for a lense is a lense cap;
- with cheap filters you'll get flare much more often than with a really good ones.
- UV filters on digital camera do not enhance image quality (sensors are not sensitive to UV light).
- Hoya filters are hard to clean, their multicoating is quite sensitive.
Edvinas is offline   Reply With Quote