Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 6, 2006, 7:24 AM   #1

Does anyone know what part of the forum was updated during the recent downtime?

What is the XML at the bottom of the page how long has it been there?

JC
nlp239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2006, 7:38 AM   #2

under your avatar/name it says if you are online or not. is that new??

roy
Old Nov 6, 2006, 8:53 AM   #3

I think so!
Old Nov 6, 2006, 8:59 AM   #4
Administrator

Yes. The Forums Software was upgraded to WowBB version 1.7, and you've already noticed some of the improvements (able to tell if a member is online or offline when viewing threads, along with an XML Feed). If you're viewing the main threads list, you can see how many guests are viewing forums via redirects from sites linking to us now, also.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 9:28 AM   #5

how does the xml feed work????

And, why don't they get rid of this ugly them and also install a PDA version of the theme/site
Old Nov 7, 2006, 9:35 AM   #6
Administrator

You can change the theme if you don't like the color scheme (My Account, Preferences). Here's a direct link:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/m..._preferences=1

I keep mine set to the "Default" theme. We set new users to the "Shades" theme by default (versus the real "Default" theme used by the software), since it more closely matches the color scheme of the main site.

As for using a PDA, feel free to try and convince the authors of WowBB to rewrite their software for it and let us know when it's ready if you're succesful. :-) I'm sure Steve will be happy to consider it then unless it's cost prohibitive. You tend to lose a lot of functionality trying to render pages on a low resolution screen.

As for XML, if your browser is "XML Aware" (as Firefox is), you can simply click on the XML button at the bottom and subscribe to new threads here. I haven't use it yet (I'm in the forums here all the time anyway). I use this feature for some sites (keeping live news items under separate bookmark headings).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 5:03 AM   #7

Actually Jim I have the default or default2 both of which are image-based as in the default wowobb greentheme and frames around the message box.

You do not have a version for slow dialup nor a text version therefore by default a pda version - although the wowbb could wake up to the 21st century.