Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 6, 2006, 9:17 AM   #1

I've always been a film SLR guy. My film SLR days were the Pentax K1000, Minolta XG1, and the Pentax MZ-M.

I've finally done the transition to DSLR. So these are hand picked from a bout 300+ shots I took. I took them in RAW and quickly just converted them to JPEG's and resized them for easy viewing online. Other then the resizing, these are untouched/uneditted.

Hope you enjoy them. By the way, these were taken at the Rosetta McLain Gardens and Edward's Garden in the Greater Toronto Area.

http://www.jmeelo.com/gallery/Rosetta/rosetta.html
http://www.jmeelo.com/gallery/Edwards/edwards.html

jmack100d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2006, 9:29 AM   #2

welcome to the board.
some nice shots in there. aren't you glad you didn't have to wait for processing??

roy
Old Nov 6, 2006, 9:59 AM   #3

Oops double post
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:00 AM   #4

Another Torontonian . Welcome and you have come to the right venue for obtaining Pentax info. You must be experienced with older lens. How do they perform with your new dslr?
Your gallery is beautifully done.

Daniel
Old Nov 6, 2006, 10:28 AM   #5

Roy, I'm definately glad I didn't have to wait for processing. However, it's been awhile since I actually took out the SLR's. I've had so little time since the wife and I decided to start a family. Primarily it's been the Point and Shoot for quick shots of the family and baby. Previously I was getting my shots processed and taking my original negatives and scanning them. I love shooting in RAW and having full creative control.

Daniel, nice to see another Torontonian here as well. I actually was browsing the forum before buying my K100D. I've always been a fan of the Pentax cameras and I just wanted real life reviews, info, and sample shots and this forum seemed to have all the info I was looking for. I know the K100D is an excellent DSLR to get started and as soon as I get the hang of it all, I believe I will be going to the next step and acquire the K10D. However, I can't forsee that happening until next spring or summer. To be honest with you I haven't tried any of my older lenses in great detail. However, I did take a couple of shots and I must say that I'm greatly impressed by the optics and quality that my older lenses are capable of. Pentax thought this one through and are brilliant on continuing on with the K-mount and making the K100D/K10D compatible with older lenses.

The two lenses I have for my K100D is the 18-55mm smc Pentax DA kit lens, which I must say is a very good lens considering it's a kit lens. The other one I use is the Sigma 55-200mm F4-5.6 DC. I wasn't too pleased with this lens but its decent for what I paid for it.

Daniel, I saw a bunch of your shots with the Zenitar and I'm really impressed on the capabilities of that lens. I might consider picking one up. May I ask where you purchased the Zenitar lens? I've seen a couple of online retailers but my main concern is shipping and customs fees.
Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:45 AM   #6

jmack100d wrote:
Quote:
Daniel, I saw a bunch of your shots with the Zenitar and I'm really impressed on the capabilities of that lens. I might consider picking one up. May I ask where you purchased the Zenitar lens? I've seen a couple of online retailers but my main concern is shipping and customs fees.
There have been extensive discussion about getting Zenitar in these two forums

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=20125334

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=102067&forum_id=80&highl ight=16mm+victor

I think of all the people who bought, I knew of only one has to pay duties/custom in Europe. Not in N Am. And there are quite a few of us in these two forums who have bought. I got mine $160 Cdn ( shipped and all inclusive)

Daniel, Toronto

p.s. a couple of Zenitar shoots here at
http://www.pbase.com/danieltong/zenitar
Old Nov 10, 2006, 11:11 AM   #7

Thanks Daniel. I think I'll be purchasing the Zenitar really soon! Those references really help!
Old Nov 10, 2006, 11:45 AM   #8

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of LBA(lens buyers addiction).

Nice shots on your site! Very colorful. Thanks for posting.
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 5:43 PM   #9

jmack100d wrote:
Quote:
Roy, I'm definately glad I didn't have to wait for processing. However, it's been awhile since I actually took out the SLR's. I've had so little time since the wife and I decided to start a family. Primarily it's been the Point and Shoot for quick shots of the family and baby. Previously I was getting my shots processed and taking my original negatives and scanning them. I love shooting in RAW and having full creative control.
jmac, i put down the camera for almost 20 years. digital woke me up again. i just so happy that i remembered all the technical details from before. that's what really blows the newbies minds.. like exposure, it's just an interrelated set of three numbers but coming with no background you don't see that iso200 f8 1/500sec is the exact exposure iso200 f5.6 1/250i may have cot thiw . just had a viv, si1 2.8-4 20-210 FROM KOMINE delivered . no aA stitting but lens it like new..got to try it..

rof.