Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 6, 2006, 1:21 PM   #1

Just thought I'd share with you all the fun week we had here in Joplin Mo. as candidates paraded through to curry voter favor. A little background: Joplin and Southwest Missouri is heavily Republican. The last time a sitting president made an appearance here was GWB's father in 1992. GWB actually made a campaign swing here in 2000. The race between Republican incumbent Sen. Jim Talent and Democratic challenger Claire McCaskill is neck and neck. Despite this area being between 60 percent and 70 percent Republican, McCaskill has made four trips through here, including one last week. Also through here was Sen. Bill Frist, Republican majority leader. I was at a bunch of events last week with my DL covering them for my newspaper and here are a few photos.
Attached Images

jhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 6, 2006, 1:25 PM   #2

the opposition
Attached Images

Old Nov 6, 2006, 1:28 PM   #3

The big cheese himself George W. Bush. A friend of mine was there with a Pentax K100D shooting this same event (I had recommended he buy that about two months ago and he is thrilled with it) and I'll tell you, what I wouldn't have given for his shake reduction at this event. The lighting was poor and I was shooting at 1600 speed to get 1/90 second shutter speed with a 300 mm lens.
Attached Images

Old Nov 6, 2006, 3:08 PM   #4

jhacker wrote:
Quote:
The big cheese himself George W. Bush. A friend of mine was there with a Pentax K100D shooting this same event (I had recommended he buy that about two months ago and he is thrilled with it) and I'll tell you, what I wouldn't have given for his shake reduction at this event. The lighting was poor and I was shooting at 1600 speed to get 1/90 second shutter speed with a 300 mm lens.
All 3 shots are simply amazing shots part. the last one. The first two actually had some overexposed area. The last one was perfect lighting wise. I cannot commend on the complexity of Yankee politics and looks like the Red crowd would be quite agreeable to this shot.
Lately I have done a bit of work on these type of candid tele shots with no tripod (which I hate) and low light . And with a long tele like 300mm!
No wonder your friend is thrilled . He maxed out on getting as much light as possible (1600 iso and 1/90s) and has reason to be proud of these shots.
S R has really open up some new photo option which otherwise would have been impossible

Daniel

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2006, 7:39 PM   #5

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Great subject on # 3...how far away were you from W?
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 12:01 AM   #6

People and street shots aren't my thing at all, but having said that, I like yours. Don't know if you meant them this way, but they seem to be a bit tongue in cheek (except for perhaps the last one). I'm not sure if you are laughing at the politicians or your fellow photographers, but that's the way they come across to me.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 1:44 AM   #7

I was a little more than the length of a basketball court from Dubya. I think a basketball court is about 90 feet. As for being toung in cheek, yeah I was a bit. It's interesting watching the political process move, especially in a mean election season such as this, mtngal. I'm not sure if you are referring to my commentary or pics, I'll tell you except for the being a touch overexposed, the pics are the best I could get in confined quarters with lots of yelling people all around. The first shot was in a small grassy plaza in a business office building with about 150 people crammed around me. The second was in a small building with about 150 people crammed around me. I think I used fill flash in both casas The thirs was in a big gymnasium, way too far for flash, so I.m handholding a 300 mm lens on the DL at about 1/90 second at 1600 speed. It was fun though.