Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 7, 2006, 2:20 PM   #11

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

HogRider wrote:
Quote:
Funny - when I read Cricket season in the subject, I instantly thought of Bug spray.:lol:
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2006, 11:35 PM   #12

Darren, no negativity allowed. Been waiting for this all year. Mytickets arrived in the post yesterday!

Only a few more days untilFreddie and KP are hooking Bing Lee into the stands & Harmy is let loose on Ponting and co.

I have a good feeling about this series. Will be taking the K100D up to Brisbane to capture the action.
bobinoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 5:04 PM   #13

comon barmy army,,, dont give those ozzie fans a chance to cheer
Red Royalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 12:57 AM   #14

Hi Guys, Still alive and just finishing my training. Got a couple of days off and popped out to a place called Cockington just out side of Canberra, ACT, Australia.

Miniature village, so does this count?
Attached Images

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 1:59 AM   #15

I visited their some years ago and it is a fantastic piece of work.

A pity about the giants on the right.

philneast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 7:28 AM   #16

philneast wrote:
Quote:
I visited their some years ago and it is a fantastic piece of work.

A pity about the giants on the right.

nah, he took this with a long tele. perspective is compressed..

roy
Old Nov 9, 2006, 7:29 AM   #17

Red Royalty wrote:
Quote:
i play cricket regularly ... great game /..... england for the ashes:idea::idea:
ashes??? explain Ashes, please..

roy
Old Nov 9, 2006, 6:21 PM   #18

Welcome back crash. You've been missed.

Roy, the Ashes is a 5 match cricket series played between England and Australia every 2 years. It's been running for over a 100 hundred years and, probably due to its longevity and history, is generally considered as the most prestigious cricket event on the calendar. Australia had won every series since 1989 until last year when England, playing at home, won a hugely competitive and exciting series on the last day of the last match (each match is 5 days long - 2 innings per side, a bit like baseball). Fierce rivalries emerged and heroes were born.

It generated unprecedented interest in cricket in England and was generally seen as relaunching a game which had seen interest waning. The impending series opens in Brisbane on 23rd November and concludes in Sydney on 6th Jan. There is huge interest among cricket fans - 40 000 * 5 days of tickets for the Sydney test sold out within 1 hour of going on sale.

For an English cricket tragic living in Australia this is the ultimate. I am literally salivating in anticipation and keeping everything crossed that England can reproduce the fireworks of the last series and topple Australia, clearly the worlds best side, one more time......

bobinoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 11:10 PM   #19

Bob

I am not back, just apssing through :lol:

The reason it is called the ashes.....
The Ashes is a Test cricket series, played between England and Australia - it is international cricket's oldest and most celebrated rivalry dating back to 1882. It is currently played at approximately two yearly intervals, alternately in England and Australia. The Ashes are "held" by the country which last won a series and to "regain" them the other country must win more Test matches in a series than the country that "holds" them. If a series is "drawn" then the country holding the Ashes retains them. The last Ashes series was played in England in 2005 when England regained The Ashes after a gap of 16 years by winning the series 2-1. The next Ashes series will be in Australia in 2006-07 and the next series in England will be in 2009.
The series is named after a satirical obituary published in The Sporting Times in 1882 following the match at The Oval, in which Australia beat England in England for the first time. The obituary stated that English cricket had died, and the body will be cremated and the ashes taken to Australia. The English media dubbed the next English tour, to Australia (1882-83) as the quest to regain The Ashes.
A small terracotta urn was presented to the England captain Ivo Bligh by a group of Melbourne women at some point during the 1882-83 tour. The contents of the urn are reputed to be the ashes of an item of cricket equipment, possibly a bail, ball or stump. The urn is not used as a trophy for the Ashes series, and whichever side "holds" the Ashes, the urn remains in the MCC Museum at Lord's because of its age and fragility. Since the 1998-99 Ashes series, a Waterford crystal trophy has been presented to the winners.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ashes
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 11:49 PM   #20

I am constantly amazed at all I learn here on this board, and not all of it about photography. Thanks for this thread and giving me a glimpse of an interesting piece of sports history. About all I know is that there are bats made of willow and there are batsmen.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote