Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 7, 2006, 4:01 PM   #1

I don't expect it to perform it's best regarding optical quality at F/1.4, however, I am concern whether would I be able to get decent results when using it wide open (F/1.4). :-)

What is your opinion about this prime lens? Can I get nice bokeh whenusing it wide open?

BTW, I am already quite interested in the PENTAX K100D because it has a nice range of ISO levels (ISO 200 - ISO 3200), and the groundbreaking S.R.!! (2 stops of handheld advantage am I right?)

Instead of using ISO 1600 when without S.R....I heard that with the S.R., I can be using ISO 400 instead!

Coupled with the not bad high ISO performance of the K100D, things does look good! (Very good indeed!!)

Regards.

:|

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 7, 2006, 11:02 PM   #2

I've heard that Pentaximproved the optics when they did the F and FA models (maybe the A, not sure). I have the M 1.4 and find that at 1.4 its quite soft. When I've taken sunrises with this lens I've used 1.7 or 2.0without any problems, though the DOF is very small.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 6:27 AM   #3

Alright, thanks for your opinions. :-)

Anyone else have anything more to say about the lens?

Regards.

:|
Old Nov 8, 2006, 7:19 AM   #4

I have the M version (the old SMC 1.4) and it performs quite well at 1.4 especially in lowlight, although depth of field makes it very difficult - I would assume the same difficulty with the FA although having autofocus may be an advantage

I wouldnt expect super perforamce in very bright light but you wouldnt be shooting at 1.4 then anyway
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 8:37 AM   #5

OK thanks, it doesn't sound that bad.

More opinions would be welcome.

Regards.

---
Old Nov 8, 2006, 1:23 PM   #6

FYI. I'm currently trying to purchase this lens but cannot find it anywhere. Everyplace has it "back ordered." I even called Pentax customer service and they couldn't give me an estimate on when it will be available again. On ebay these used lens are sometimes going for higher then a "new" price...if you can find one.
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 2:05 PM   #7

I'm yet another person with the M version and I find it pretty soft wide open, but excellent stopped down to f/2... I'm almost positive I read that A and later(F, FA) versions were sharper wide open though, but the M has the better bokeh. I only have experiance with a rather beat up old M version though so I cant really say.
SelrahCharleS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 2:56 PM   #8

OK, thanks for more opinions. I know that you guys used the manual version, but Ican expect them all to be rather similar optically wide opened.

I just hope that the lens is still selling. (Not one of those phased out lenses!)

Regards. :|

From what I can see, it is a very great lens in terms of price, looks, apparent optical quality, apparent build quality, and speed! (BOKEH should be good)

---
Old Nov 8, 2006, 3:02 PM   #9
TC3

I think it does ok wide open. I love this lens but have no 1.4 pics to hand but can show u these and the first is at f2

TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 3:08 PM   #10

Those are really not bad.

The 50 mm F/1.4 is certainly a creative lens. (Essential for my comingphotography school next year)

Regards.

---