Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 7, 2006, 11:25 PM   #1

I dont think I can wait for the Pentax 50mm f/1.4 anymore. The pentax lense is the one that I really want but I think I might have to buy something else they dont make some more witin next month.

Another lense that I been eyeing on is the Sigma 28mm f/1.8 EX DG Macro. I can get it for about $270, about $100 more then what the pentax would cost me after the rebate.

I just want to know if anyone has this lense or not, I need to buy a nice fast indoor lense. The other lense that I was looking at was the Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX Macro for $150 or so, but I dont think it is fast enough for indoor use.

I am not really concern about the focus speed, I just want a nice peice of glass.

And Manual Focus is out of the question. I have 3 really great manual prime lense that I am having trouble with.

Also I have a question with reading reviews on lense. Is it OK to read reviews on the same lense but on a different mount? I notice that not many reviews are made by pentax user, but mainly the other big 2.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2006, 6:06 AM   #2

is 28mm going to be long enough? What are you photographing indoors exactly
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 1:00 PM   #3

I will be going to the CES show in Las Vegas in 2 month. Yea, 28mm should be fine. I think a wider lense would work to my advantage because the convention is somewhat crouned. I hate having to stand 10 feet back just to take a picture of the WHOLE car. Its not easy doing that when you have 50 people who are trying to walk by. I will be taking pictures of new electronic products, cars, tvs, and stuff like that. While it is in door, it isnt really that dark. I still want a bright lense because I dont want to bring a tripod with me.
Old Nov 8, 2006, 1:21 PM   #4

I was in the same scenario as you looking for an indoor lens. I looked everywhere for the Pentax and couldn't find one anywhere. Thought about going the manual route, but wanted to try and stay with a F or FA lens if I could. I searched for about two weeks and I finally picked up a brand new Pentax FA 50mm 1.4 off eBay just last week. They are out there, you just have to look in everywhere for one so it seems. I have not regretted the purchase one bit, it is a FANTASTIC lens!
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 1:04 PM   #5

I too was in the same situation. I was also looking for the smcp-fa 50mm 1.4. I tried all the usual online and local camera shops but everybody was backordered. I even called Pentax headquarters in colorado in order to get an estimate on when the next shipments will go out but the customer service rep didn't know. Grrrrr. That's when I started searching on ebay. You can still find FA 50mm 1.4 however it seems like the price on those babys are going up up up since the new ones are currently not available. I actually lost a bidding war this weekend on that lens and it eventually sold for $245, which is actually higher than the price of a new one since you cannot use the $50 rebate on used lenses.

An alternative is to get the smc-f 50mm 1.7. I have heard very good responses from other pentax users of this lens and it can be bought much cheaper. Anyways that's another option for the type of lens you are looking at. Search ebay. It seems like one pops up for sale about once a week.

After you suggested the sigma 28 f1.8, I researchedit on the internet which included reviews and sample pictures on flickr/pbase. Honestly I wasn't that impressed. Alot of the canon users had alot of problems with it front focussing. Also I didn't like the bokeh with this lens. Anyways just my opinion without any realexperience with that particular lens.

Good luck with your search. If you do get the sigma 28 f1.8, please post pics.

royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 1:32 PM   #6

I've decided NOT to get the Sigma 28mm f/1.8. For my situation, I don't think that a prime lens will suit me well as far as the angle coverage. I would love to have one though, but I don't want to spend that kind of money for something that I won't use as much. But I wouldn't mind getting the Pentax FA 50mm 1.4 when ever they decide to make some more.

I've decided to get a GOOD zoom lense instead because it would be more usefull. Something like the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8. I know it is not as bright but I would use it more often then the 28mm prime.
Old Nov 9, 2006, 2:22 PM   #7

Hey I was just browsing ebay and found a smc fa 50mm f1.4 on sale for $245. Supposedly the box has not been opened. Just thought I'd let you know if you are still interested in it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Pentax-SMC-F...QQcmdZViewItem
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 2:38 PM   #8

Thanks for the find on ebay, but I am going to pass on it. I do plan to get the pentax fa 50mm 1.4 but not at that price. I will wait for pentax to release some more so I can take advantage of the rebate. Since I don't need that lense as bad as I thought that I needed it, I can wait.

Old Nov 11, 2006, 6:38 PM   #9

I have Sigma EX 28-70mm f/2.8 and Sigma EX 24mm f/1.7 macro prime and I find they are very good.

Attached Images

Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 10:04 PM   #10

That is very good to hear. I was going to buy the 28-70mm f/2.8 EX DG for $330 or so on bhphoto.com but I saw the 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG of it for $299. I thought that the extra 4mm wider lense will work out a little bit better for me.

I can't for the unit to come in next week.