Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 8, 2006, 4:38 PM   #1

sunday i thought i'd bid on a 2X converter and got it. it was a tamron and i'd seen good reports on it. anyway it only cost me 10.57usd. it was not described well. i got it today and happily i found it was the auto focus newer model that sells for just un 70 at B&H. i have never been quite happy with 2X converters but think i'll keep this one.. here's some test shots. what do you think?? i tried to keep these the same size when you view them. first set is WITH the 2X TC. the top shot is f4.5, then f8, f16

the second set of pix is WITHOUT the TC. cropped to about the same size as the full framed test.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2006, 4:39 PM   #2

without the TC.. all shot with the 500mm f4.5
Attached Images

Old Nov 8, 2006, 5:03 PM   #3

thre's more red fringing with TC but apart from that they are very good, not much difference in shapness and colors IMO. looks like a keeper.

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 5:08 PM   #4

Roy, you are letting the side down. I thought TCs were only good to make extension tubes out of. LOL

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 5:13 PM   #5

Dal1970 wrote:
Quote:
Roy, you are letting the side down. I thought TCs were only good to make extension tubes out of. LOL

Darren
most all of the ones i've had before were like that. best i'd had before was a 7 element rmc tokina. it was not as sharp as this one. lets see,, a 1000mm f8.?.. i think i can accept that. the fringing is easy to eliminate.. i know the price was right..

roy
Old Nov 8, 2006, 6:09 PM   #6

robar wrote:
Quote:
sunday i thought i'd bid on a 2X converter and got it. it was a tamron and i'd seen good reports on it. anyway it only cost me 10.57usd. it was not described well. i got it today and happily i found it was the auto focus newer model that sells for just un 70 at B&H. i have never been quite happy with 2X converters but think i'll keep this one.. here's some test shots. what do you think?? i tried to keep these the same size when you view them. first set is WITH the 2X TC. the top shot is f4.5, then f8, f16

the second set of pix is WITHOUT the TC. cropped to about the same size as the full framed test.
Roy,
They look very decent .
I think I have the same Kenko (actually made by Tamron ) marked Teleplus MC7.
I have a full size pic of it paired with FA135mm2.8 compared with A*300mmF4.
See http://www.pbase.com/danieltong/test
The pict are degraded somewhat. After I have got the 300mm I hardly use it.
I paid KEH around $80 incl shipping. Yours is likely of better deal .
I do not have anything at 300mm to be paired with it. So I would not know how it performs.

Daniel
p.s. another full pix at f.5.6 of it paired with FA135mm 2.8 handheld indoor shot http://www.pbase.com/danieltong/image/61592444/original
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 6:32 PM   #7

these seem to be pretty decent daniel. your's is the upgrade model, costs twice as much but to tell you the truth this is the best i've ever gotten from a 2X. i'll try it on the 300 tomorrow.. i'm waiting on the 1.4.. if the 2x is like this then the 1.4 should be alright too..

roy
even wide open i don't see much difference
Old Nov 8, 2006, 7:00 PM   #8
TDN

I'd say for having a 1000mm range I think the little sideffects are a small price to pay!
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 7:19 PM   #9

bye bye fringing...
this is with the TC. same pic, fringing removed.
Attached Images

Old Nov 8, 2006, 7:23 PM   #10

I can see some softness in the TC, but not much, so it looks like something you could use when you need the extra reach.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote