Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 8, 2006, 5:12 PM   #1

Hi folks

Well this is my first post up and...I have a feeling I'm about to be jumped on from a great height by lots of irate folk or if I'm lucky.....not.

I really hope this hasn't been asked before or...its simply a crud stupid question to ask.. but (hang on a tad we're getting there) but, is it generally known which Flash gun will fit the K10? I'm getting mine in December all being well and would like to start off with everything I need. I have my lenses sorted it's just a few of the ancillary items I need to sort out.

I wondered if the Pentax AF 360FGZ might be compatible? I guess that maybe, it's going to be more a case of , wait and see?

Anyway, I'm off I reckon, fingers crossed I'm not to be too humiliated on my first trip out.:-)

Pj.

its_pj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2006, 6:08 PM   #2

Hi PJ,

I just got back from a long weekend away and I am trying to catch up on forum posts. I have only had my K100 for a few months but here is the rundown as best I understand it:

The current production Pentax D-SLRs use P-TTL based flashguns. This limits choices to a handful as older TTL flashguns are not fully compatible. Sigma makes two models, something like a 500 and a 500 Super that come in P-TTL models. Pentax, of course, has their models. I seem to remember that there are a couple of other companies at least ADVERTISING a P-TTL flashgun, but, as far as I know, Sigma is the only off-brand used by anyone on this forum.

According to Amazon, the Pentax AF 360FGZ is P-TTL, so I would assume it would work. Hopefully someone more knowledgable about this will chime in. I am currently researching my choices for a flashgun as I don't have one yet.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:28 AM   #3

Hi PJ,

I try to keep up with the flash compatibility thing as I'm thinking of getting another flash unit when I get my new K10D.

To get all the bells and whistles (and perhaps a lot of features that you don't really need), you'll have to spend some money. The choices are the Pentax AF540 FGZ @ $340, Pentax AF360FGZ @ $195, or the Sigma EF500 DG Super P_TTL @ $230. The features include (I'm doing this from memory so I might miss some) high and slow speed synch, front and back curtain synch, strobe effect, contrast control, wireless remote, optical slave, AF assist, . . . well you get the idea. The Pentax 540 and Sigma 500 have more power and the heads tilt and swivel. The Pentax 540 will also take a high speed external battery pack.

Down a step are the Sigma EF500 DG ST P-TTL @ $150 and the Promaster 5750DX (with the digital Pentax module ) @ $170 which lack many of the features of the hi-end models, but are powerful and tilt and swivel.

There's at least one -- the Digital Concepts which claims to be P-TTL compatible, but I think the jury's still out on this one -- I think that it sells for something like $135.

These are the only flashes with the latest automation -- you pretty much just mount the flash, turn it and your camera on, and start shooting, almost regardless of any settings on the camera.

The other automated flash units that can be used are non-dedicated"Auto" flashes -- You set the power range on the flash, set your aperture and ISO to the settings indicated on the flash, set the shutter speed to 1/180 then within the working range of the unit, the sensor on the flash will shut it down to give you a reasonable exposure. There are many such flashes available from a number of mfgs and they can be inexpensive. This is a real alternative for most flash users, but for some reason, most people want the more sophisticated units. I would definitely consider a high-end used Auto flash as an alternative.

Obviously, you can also get a fully manual flash and do the guide # thing.

You might also want to check out Sarah's Flash Thread :

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...=80&page=1

Hope that might help

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 11:07 AM   #4

OK, I'm also kinda clueless when it comes to flash equipment, and also have questions.

I currently have a DS with a couple different lenses, but have had to rely on the pop-up flash for indoor/low light shots. I'm looking at the Pentax 360 FGZ Flash as my next purchase, but don't know what other parts I'll need to buy.

What I'd like to be able to do is:

a) use the 360 flash on the camera, as either a more powerful straight flash, or as a ceiling bounce

b) Use the flash as a side-light, flashing some distance (maybe 6-10 feet?)away from the camera. It can beworkedeither wirelessly, or by a cord? (this is where my knowlege dries up quick)

Am I correct in assuming that a) will not need any additional purchase? What would I have to get to make b) work?

Thanks a bunch, -mutty
mutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 4:26 PM   #5

Hi mutty,

a) use the 360 flash on the camera, as either a more powerful straight flash, or as a ceiling bounce

The AF360FGZ will work fine for this as is. The Sigma EF 500 DG Super P-TTL and Pentax AF540FGZ are both more powerful and in additon to a ton of features, offer tilt/swivel heads for more versatility for bouncing (you can bounce off walls to either side or in back of you, and you can orient the flash easier for portrait oriented shots). The Promaster 5750DX with the correct module or the and Sigma EF 500 ST P-TTL will also give you tilt/swivel, but with less features than the Pentax 540 or the Sigma Super.

b) Use the flash as a side-light, flashing some distance (maybe 6-10 feet?)away from the camera. It can beworkedeither wirelessly, or by a cord? (this is where my knowlege dries up quick)

With just one external flash unit, you'll need a flash cord with 5 contacts for P-TTL compatibility. Pentax makes hot shoe adapters (you'd need 1 ea adapter FP and 1 ea adapter F and a F5PL (9 ft) cord to connect them). If you can get by with less length, Promaster makes a TTL cord for the Pentax that will work, but it's only 3 ft long, and it's coiled, so for practical use, it's probably not long enough. I imagine you could daisy chain a number of the Promasters to get the length you need also.

You can get 2 360FGZs, 500 Supers, or 540FGZs (or any combination of 2) and use wireless remote P-TTL. or. . .

Get a relatively inexpensive DIGITAL slave flash (which will fire on the second flash) and trigger it with either the onboard flash or any of the external P-TTL flashes mentioned. This takes a little setup to get the right exposure, but will work fine, and will cost much less.

Take a look at Sarah's Flash Thread to get ideas. The link is in my previous post to this thread.

There are a lot of alternatives if you don't need or want full communication with the camera, but it would probably only confuse the issue here.

Anyway, hope that helps some.

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote