Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 8, 2006, 6:47 PM   #1

Just havingupdated all my lenses to Pentax M's, I decided to compare them side by side. I sold my 4 screw mounts on Ebay and bought 3 M's, an M28, M50 and M50 Macro. I did all 4 shots identically on a tripod, using the 2 sec timer. That way, I'm out of the loop. I started with my DA18-55mm and used the same aperture and speed setting on all the others. Notice there is some variance in exposure even at the same aperture and speed. I did no post processing other then resize and one hit on the sharpening. I did the same on each one. Maybe someone considering any of these will find this helpful. These were all *** jpegs. Not a lot to take pictures of this time of year - Bruce

This one is with the DA18-55mm kit lens, 55mm, F5.6 and 250s. I did use auto focus on this one and used this same exposure on all the rest.

This one is the M50-f1.7, f5.6 f250s. This is one of the infamous fast 50's, a very nice prime.

This is an M50-f4 macro, F5.6, 250s. This lens I do most of my wildflower pictures with.

The last image is an M28-f2.8, f5.6, 250s. This is a pretty good normal tolight wide angle and very sharp.

To my old eyes, it looks like the M50 is going to be hard to beat - Enjoy
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2006, 7:38 PM   #2

thanks bruce, all 3 shut down the 18-55.. i've got the m50 f1.4 and may do this also. the m28 f2.8 i have also and it's a dream..
Old Nov 9, 2006, 12:04 AM   #3

Nice comparison shots. The 50mm's definitely dobetter than the kit lens, but what surprises me is that there isn't MORE difference. The kit lens held up pretty well, considering the fact that its an inexpensive zoom, not a prime.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 12:23 AM   #4

Just goes to prove it's not to bad a kit lens for what you have to pay for it, but then again the FA50-f1.4 is pretty inexpensive with the rebate. I did this test as a spur of the moment thing and I think if you took a little time with the manual focus lenses, you could get more out of the primes. I think the point I was trying to make is the primes give that little extra that oftenmake the pictures snap. I also feel pretty good about my Ebay purchases. They seem to work fine. Now, I'm stillhoping to get the DA50-200mm to finish out. I did mention it to Santa Claus, err I mean mrs Claus- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2006, 8:08 AM   #5

Mrs Claus is very important. i'm still a little in the dog house because of the 500mm. but fortunatly life goes on.. for now....

roy
Old Nov 9, 2006, 6:57 PM   #6

It's a good thing the *60-250 isn't out yet. That would definitely be trying the patience of Mr. Santa Claus.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote