Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 9, 2006, 11:50 AM   #1

Adorama has the Sigma 24-70mm lense for about $299 but it is an open box. According to there discrption, an open box is a display item but it does not have the box. I don't really care about the box itself, I am more concern with the glass on the lens. The price for the lens is a lot cheaper compaired to the brand new unit. Brand new goes for $429. That is about 30% off their price.

So has anyone had any experiance with buying an open box item from them? It could be lens, camera, or whatever. If so please share your experiance here.

superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2006, 2:27 PM   #2

superakuma wrote:
Quote:
Adorama has the Sigma 24-70mm lense for about $299 but it is an open box. According to there discrption, an open box is a display item but it does not have the box. I don't really care about the box itself, I am more concern with the glass on the lens. The price for the lens is a lot cheaper compaired to the brand new unit. Brand new goes for $429. That is about 30% off their price.

So has anyone had any experiance with buying an open box item from them? It could be lens, camera, or whatever. If so please share your experiance here.

I think you have less worry about paying open box item as it is still under warranty. What you should worry is about the compatibility of Sigma lens with newer version of K100D or K10D or K? in the future.
They are all reengineered for each mount (Canon, Nikon, Sony/Minolta) and Pentax happens to be the least numerous of all.
Make sure it is of the latest chips available.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:32 AM   #3

That is good to hear that I dont have to worry about the product being open box. I got the email from them and they said that it is a demo unit from their own store. I never been to there store before so I dont know how they keep the demo unit on the floor. I hope that it is behind the glass at all time and only taken out when requested. Also since it is a kinda pricy peice of glass, only people who really wants can touch it not some stupid kid with sticky fingers.

I never heard of the issue of sigma lense not working for future camera. I will look into that.
Old Nov 10, 2006, 2:20 PM   #4

superakuma wrote:
Quote:
Adorama has the Sigma 24-70mm lense for about $299... Brand new goes for $429.

As an FYI, the one they offer for $299 is the discontinued (about 18 months ago) version of the lens, not the current version that you compare it to.

Research this lens. You'll see complaints about the older version and mixed opinion on the current. In terms of differences (besides the rubber grips), Sigma told me they are identical except for the coatings. In spite of the EX DG moniker on both, the current version has 'digital' coatings.

I'm taking a chance withthe current model for my DL. Initial shots of a test card weren't encouraging, however when I retested (with better care), the results were improved. I need to shoot real pictures with it this weekend.

Good luck.

CMotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 11:15 AM   #5

I couldnt find any info on what you just said. How do I know that it is the older version when I get it?
Old Nov 11, 2006, 12:12 PM   #6

superakuma wrote:
Quote:
I couldnt find any info on what you just said. How do I know that it is the older version when I get it?
Model 546109 is old - 548109 is current. You can verify this with Sigma, though you'll find nothing on their website about the 546. Both can be seen on Adorama's or BH's sites.

Considerable discussion is here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/s...=37&page=1
CMotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 9:37 PM   #7

The link to the one that I ordered is not longer there but I believed that I might have got the newier one. When I ordered the unit I notice that there was two different open box unit that I could pick from. The difference that I noticed between the two open box was that one of them was labed EX aspherical DG DF and the other one did NOT say DG on it, it was just EX aspherical DF and both were the same price. So I bought the one that said DG because hey they are the same price and so why not get the one with more markings right?:lol:

According to adorama, the 548109 is the one that has the DG label
http://www.adorama.com/SG247028NPX.html
(I know this is the link to the NEW unit, its because they dont have the link to the open box anymore)

While the 546109 is the one WITHOUT the DG lable
http://www.adorama.com/SG247028PXAD.html

Same thing goes for bhphoto.com
With the DG lable 548109
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

WITHOUT the DG lable 546109
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation

I notice that on bhphoto.com's site the new DG 548109 also says MACRO on it while on adorama does not say macro. I wonder why. The magnification on both lense are the same at 1:3.8.

Thanks for the heads up. I beleive that I bought the newier version of it, but if I didn't I don't think the "digital" coating will be worth $100+ for it. Heck all my lense except the stock lense are the lense made for flim camera without the digital coating and they are really great.