Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 29, 2006, 11:25 AM   #51

Welcome Nick,

You can photoshop what you want/like. I think the only rules now are

A:. It has to be taken with a Pentax (Not wit ha Kodak as I did with the beer bottles)

B:. You must make it for this competition, now "archive" photo's.

I will be corrected when I'm wrong.

Richard.

p.s. That first first one is a very nice shot!

Ritro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 1:37 PM   #52
TDN

and 1 entry/person

Cool shots, but I think a monotone background would have worked better...
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 2:51 PM   #53

TDN schreef:
Quote:
and 1 entry/person
Quote:

Tom,

Look at point 3!

Richard.

Hi everyone,

my proposal for this month shootout would be: "Glass of wine".

It can cover everything related to wine (glass, grapes, lighting/shadows, vineyards etc.) as well as to other beverages- so everyone can shoot in-and-outdoors all around the clock- every input is appreciated- and freedom to move around on both hemispheres.
As our first initiator TDN's poll figured out:
1. Images accepted until Nov 30th;
2. We still vote for the best pic;
3. Number of shots limited by self-critique... (Was 1 but changed on Nov 18th after considering pro et contra plus reading posts in this thread. Main goal was to encourage creativity- and IMHO it is best done by posted samples, otherwise many of us may hold back hoping something "super" coming out next (or next...) day)
4. Results will be available on Dec 5th- but how it will be figured out yet :-)

Sorry for some kind of delay- was too busy with non-photographic stuff for couple of days...

So, happy shooting and waiting for ideas/images etc.
Best, JR

Laatst gewijzigd op Zat nov 18th, 2006 11:58 am door Reps
Old Nov 29, 2006, 3:05 PM   #54

On your second one - you might try flipping it, so that your diagonal line goes from top left to lower right (example: \ ). Someone who went through the Navy Photographers course told me that most people like that diagonal linebetter than one going fromtop right to lower left (example: / ). I've found that for the most part, he's right (though certain pictures are better with the angle you chose for this one because it adds tension or something like that). In my opinion (and that's all it is - one so-so amateur photographer's opinion, we all see things differently) doing it the way you did with your particular subjectis too extreme/disturbing. I prefer your first picture, even if it is more of a classic type, and would be interested to see your second one flipped.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 4:00 PM   #55

Sarah,

I think that the preference has to do with being left- or righthanded, don't think the navy count the lefthanded in. Or they did as the righthanded outnumbers the lefthanded ofcourse. I'm lefthanded...................

Nickjust being curious, you ?

Richard.

Old Nov 29, 2006, 5:23 PM   #56

Ritro wrote:
Quote:
Nickjust being curious, you ?
Funny you should ask... I am actually right handed, but due to a lazy eye I do a lot of things aslefties would.

Here's the picture flipped... to me, this looks off, I'd be interested to see what others think.
Attached Images

inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 9:29 PM   #57

Doesn't make a difference to me - I give up! Either way it is an interesting picture.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 9:52 PM   #58

I'm not sure why, but I prefer the top left to bottom right. (I'm right-handed, btw) Maybe it's because we read in that direction. It's just easier for me to comprehend what is in the photograph that way. The first one I keep looking at the right side that is in focus, but being drawn to the left side to see what I missed.
nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 10:13 PM   #59

nhmom wrote:
Quote:
I'm not sure why, but I prefer the top left to bottom right. (I'm right-handed, btw) Maybe it's because we read in that direction. It's just easier for me to comprehend what is in the photograph that way. The first one I keep looking at the right side that is in focus, but being drawn to the left side to see what I missed.
Yeah, I kinda see where you coming from... thanks for bringing that to my attention... I too, am drawn to the right, then check back to see what was missed. Great observation!
inneyeseakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 10:15 PM   #60

How about margarita glasses.

As I go against what I just said and submit a photo that slants the other way! This was taken this summer when I'd only had my K100D for about a week and was experimenting. These were part of the centerpieces we madefor myparent's 50th wedding anniversary party.

I couldn't seem to get the whole top of the glass in focus the way I wanted.

Photo to follow. I can't get it to attach to this message.

nhmom is offline   Reply With Quote