Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 10, 2006, 2:16 PM   #11

Quote:
The Sigma is a longer replacement for the shorter DA 18-55mm. Nothing more.
I am shocked at the almost non-existent difference in frame size when moving from 100mm to 125mm.
i have a sigma 28-200mm; i thought about getting a longer zoom to complement it, like a 100-300mm or something but decided to try and find a fixed tele instead. picked up a 400mm vivitar on ebay monday (they didn't ship until yesterday, i wanted it today for the weekend!!!!). 400mm is only a doubling of 200mm, so if i need to get something far away, i'll just pop that lens on. i figure for $48 it is worth a try :-). the sun is already peeking through here, i doubt your snow to the south will stick around for long!
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 2:42 PM   #12

Quote:
i have a sigma 28-200mm; i thought about getting a longer zoom to complement it, like a 100-300mm or something but decided to try and find a fixed tele instead. picked up a 400mm vivitar on ebay monday (they didn't ship until yesterday, i wanted it today for the weekend!!!!). 400mm is only a doubling of 200mm, so if i need to get something far away, i'll just pop that lens on. i figure for $48 it is worth a try :-). the sun is already peeking through here, i doubt your snow to the south will stick around for long!
We got 6 inches already but it is slowly melting. Too bad it will be dark when I get home. The evergreens are loaded.
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 8:04 PM   #13

I wouldn't mess with the white balance of your snow shot - it looks like a really early, cold, still snowingmorning, and probably the snow/sky and lighting was really that grey. This is one of those times when that grey conveys the right mood to me (says I who's anxiously waiting for the tempertures to go down so I can try taking pictures of frosty pine needles).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 9:02 PM   #14

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
I wouldn't mess with the white balance of your snow shot - it looks like a really early, cold, still snowingmorning, and probably the snow/sky and lighting was really that grey. This is one of those times when that grey conveys the right mood to me (says I who's anxiously waiting for the tempertures to go down so I can try taking pictures of frosty pine needles).
mtngal,
You are 100% right: it was exactly like that.
Kind of depressing yet the kids were thrilled. Sorry I did not elaborate before.

I do believe thou that in other snow related instances I will need to work on the white balance.
The other thing is that in the winter we get lots of sunny days and I have to wear polarized sunglasses especially while driving. I will try some circular polarizer filters as well on the lens and see what works best in different snowy circumstances.

I really appreciate your shrewdness:-)

Old Nov 11, 2006, 9:41 AM   #15

Here is another one from this morning (before the kids go at it):

Old Nov 11, 2006, 11:00 AM   #16

Nice! So clean and white. I love new fallen snow.

DigitalAddict wrote:
Quote:
Here is another one from this morning (before the kids go at it):

royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 11:22 AM   #17

DigitalAddict wrote:
Quote:
I woke up to this (DA 18-55mm @ 23mm F8 ):

Compare that with this one from Wednesday (72F vs. 28F) taken with my new Sigma 18-125mm @23mm F11:

Now, where is that sealed body when you need it :-)
I love the sight and feeling of the first snow fall of the season. We still have not had one yet. By around Jan we will have different feeling

Great shots. Thanks for posting

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 5:30 PM   #18

That's an impressive amount of snow, by our standards. Really nice (we've had a bit of rain finally, not much, and the temps are in the 40s. So autumn might be finally here!).
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 6:39 PM   #19

Love it. I have not seen snow in fifteen years, my kids have never seen a single snowflake. I have GOT to get them to snow before they are too old to be excited by it.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 7:29 PM   #20

"No, not snow, please not snow!!!". We have thankfully been spared so far this year but the white **** will eventually find us.

This was last February.

Ira
Attached Images

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote