Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 10, 2006, 8:01 PM   #1

I'm looking to buy 2 UV filters (52mm & 62mm). I don't want junk, but I also need to keep it as inexpensive as possible. I can get Hoya Pro1 filters new on ebay for around $30 to $40 each including shipping. Are they worth having? Anything else out there for the same price range that would be better? Thanks.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2006, 8:48 PM   #2

i've always been happy with their HMC model. you can hardly see it when it's mounted.. 1/2 the price also.. think it's the silver package. i recommend them..

roy
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:07 PM   #3

I've bought both the basic and the SMC Hoya UV haze in recent weeks, both do an equallygood job at cutting through UV. I wish I'd bought the basic and saved the extra bucks.
ozbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:20 PM   #4

Thanks guys! That's good to know. I certainly don't mind saving the money. :-)
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:50 PM   #5

if you really want to save get the filter that fits your biggest lens and the use step up rings so you so you can use the same filter on all your lens. be sure to get a lens hood for the large filter also.
http://www.camerafilters.com/pages/cg.aspx

roy
Old Nov 10, 2006, 10:54 PM   #6

Wow...That site has some great prices! Thanks!
Old Nov 10, 2006, 11:47 PM   #7

Quote:
if you really want to save get the filter that fits your biggest lens and the use step up rings so you so you can use the same filter on all your lens. be sure to get a lens hood for the large filter also. http://www.camerafilters.com/pages/cg.aspx
roy
I did something similar for my FA 50mm, 49mm diameter (as with many other Pentax primes): got a 49-to-52mm step-up ring for a 52mm polarizer I already had. The other thing to remember when using step-up rings is that you might need a different hood/cap.

I had gazzilion of combinations in my mind for my 3 different lenses and two filters: what step-up ring for which lens/filter with what hood that would allow rotating a polarizer (see rubber hoods - but do they have a filter mount)?

Be aware that while cheap you get what you pay for. My step-up ring paint looks like it was applied on a Friday night after the sixth beer with a broomstick.

DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 6:46 AM   #8

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
I can get Hoya Pro1 filters new on ebay for around $30 to $40 each including shipping. Are they worth having?
I bought one to use with the DA 18-55mm & can honestly say that there is not that much of an improvement over a 'bog standard' UV filter bought from Jessops.

Yse it did reduce glare when tested against the Jessops but it really isn't worththe cost - UKĀ£30.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 6:50 AM   #9

For the price of the Hoya, I would rather get a B+W MRC which is the perfect protective UV filter I have ever used. As a cheaper alternative, consider the Nikon NC (Neutral Color) which is also quite good.

Hoya HMC / Kenko Pro filters look good when new but they are very very difficult to be cleaned once got dirty. When you have been able to clean it, the multi-coatings will look more "shinny"!

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
I'm looking to buy 2 UV filters (52mm & 62mm). I don't want junk, but I also need to keep it as inexpensive as possible. I can get Hoya Pro1 filters new on ebay for around $30 to $40 each including shipping. Are they worth having? Anything else out there for the same price range that would be better? Thanks.
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 10:50 PM   #10

robar wrote:
Quote:
if you really want to save get the filter that fits your biggest lens and the use step up rings so you so you can use the same filter on all your lens. be sure to get a lens hood for the large filter also.
http://www.camerafilters.com/pages/cg.aspx

roy
I don't mean to hijack the thread but how good is that site that you just posted? I am searching for a place to buy some filter and I notice they sell some other stuff for a pretty good price!
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote