Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 11, 2006, 7:59 AM   #11

Extremely nice, from a gorgeous part of the world. Besides the potential of producing excellent images, I am finding that the "process" of creating HDR is very addictive for me, from setup through to all the post processing. Thanks for a high standard to aim for.
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 10:20 AM   #12

nadnerb wrote:
Quote:
Those are really great!

Whenever I've tried HDR the results have been either really poor, or just fake looking.
Your shots look great and very realistic though!
Thank you. I use Photomatrix to make the HDR file and save it. ThenI use Photomatrix' Tone mapping function or Ulead Photoimpact to make a usable image out of it and save it as TIF 16 bit. (It really depends on the Image - both will give totally different results).

Then everything else is is done in PSP. There is usually a lot of noise to remove and sensor dust.

On this particular series I tried something new (experimental) and made myself a Polarizer script, where I enhance and brighten yellow/greens and enhance and darken blue tones.

There were no filters used when I took the pictures.

PS: I didn't thing these looked very realistic, but I managed to get rid of this "halos" that you can always see in HDRs
HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 10:23 AM   #13

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
Sigh... No more comments needed. Keep on posting. Did you ever think ofcompiling a book? Or have you already done that?

Kjell
Thanks for the compliment. The Idea with the a book has entered my mind occasionally, but I cannot see myself ever really doing it.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 10:24 AM   #14

Ritro wrote:
Quote:
I really like that HDR stuff! Still planning to try it myself. I Wonder, what happens when you print them on photograpic paper ? Do you lose a lot ofthe HDR or not ?

Richard.
Hi Richard. I have never tired to print any of those HDRs. I don't even have a color printer.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 11:57 AM   #15

HogRider schreef:
Quote:
Ritro wrote:
Quote:
I really like that HDR stuff! Still planning to try it myself. I Wonder, what happens when you print them on photograpic paper ? Do you lose a lot ofthe HDR or not ?

Richard.
Hi Richard. I have never tired to print any of those HDRs. I don't even have a color printer.
Hi Will,

I've tried the first one, of course, a bit dittering because it's only 0,3 Mp, but it looks quite promising. I know that a printer can do a lot more than just sRGB so, when the sunshine comes in, I'm gonnna try it myself. (Nothing so spectacular as your view here around but it is as it is.)

Richard.

Ritro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 7:15 PM   #16

Those are really great. I am not ready to try HDR yet, but I can certainly see the advantages. The second shot especially is really well composed and the colors in the first one are excellent.

Tim
NonEntity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 8:22 PM   #17

Will

Your HDR technique is fantastic, your shots show a huge range of detail. Like nadnerb I have had little success in HDR imaging, and I do not think that software alone will change that, it is after all only the tool. Give me a better brush and I will still be a bad painter, my strokes may look better but the visionwill still be fuzzy.

Keep up the good work.

Ira

Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 10:51 AM   #18

Thanks and BTW - I used Ulead Photo Impact to blend the Images in this post, not Photo Matrix. Some on the gallery were made with Photo Matrix and you can actually see the difference in color, contrast and then This Tone Mapping function of Photo matrix produces Halos around trees and I think that looks really bad on some Images. On many other Images Photo Matrix is better. I sometimes end up doing both and then decide which one to use.

I will post a few example about that in a seperate thread in the near future.
Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:13 PM   #19

Great shots!! I really like that first one.

Would you be able to share any of them in HDR format?

I would love to be able to use the first image in HDR format for lighting 3d scenes in Maya.

bslayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 1:40 PM   #20

HogRider wrote:
Quote:
Here a few sample pics from a day trip to Northern Arizona.
In a word - OUTSTANDING
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote