Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 11, 2006, 5:35 PM   #1

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I'm looking to use an off camera flash cord with my DL. I've looked at the various Pentax accessories (hot shoe & flash adaptor & sync cord combo) which seems like it would run about $100 total. I then ran across the Pro Master Pentax TTL Off Camera Cord which is available for about $50. Does anyone know if the Pro Master cord will work in a seamless manner with the DL? My sense is that it will, however, I am most concerned with the compatibility of my Sigma 500DG Super flash and the DL's P-TTL capability. Would appreciate any input.

Thanks! Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2006, 5:44 PM   #2

I got the Pentax cord and shoes, but as long as Pro Master has the correct number of pins that match the shoe on the camera then YES it will work.

I am sure I have heard of ther guys on the forum state that they use the Pro Master and it does work.

Crash
Peacekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 6:14 PM   #3

i've got the penyax cord and shoes also. email promaster and get it in writing that their cords will work with P-TTL before you purchase. the DL does not work with TTL conections. this is a pentax sore spot in my side.. i mean, why eliminate TTL support. even the k10d does not support it. SHAME ON YOU PENTAX!!!!!!!
oh, got my rig on ebay for 50usd.. best $$ i ever spent..

roy
Old Nov 11, 2006, 7:06 PM   #4

robar wrote:
Quote:
i've got the penyax cord and shoes also.roy
Roy & Crash, thanks for your input. Do you have the Pentzx F5P cord and the Hot Shoe & Off Camera Shoe Adaptor (s) "F"? If so, according to the description of the items at B&H, it refers to "TTL" capability. No mention of P-TTL. Check out the reference here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

If either or the both of you are using the above cord, I wonder if the true compatibility issues is with the the flash unit vs the cords & adaptors :?

In the mean time. I have e-mailed Pro Master separately with my question.
Old Nov 11, 2006, 8:36 PM   #5

5p (5 pins, 5 wires ect) are all fine for both TTL's. 4p are for old fashioned TTL. The 5th channel is the digital (dadt) channel for p-ttl ect.
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2006, 9:09 PM   #6

Your not alone in this but for now I've partially retracted my stance on it due to the AS and the engineering contraints created by it and the ever changing reflective characteristics of the AA filter. TTL flash was the selling point that pushed me into getting my first NEW Pentax body (Super-program). Was hard to find alternative (cheaper) flashes back then (TTL flashes)as well.... Then again looking at a recent cat "winkie" picture taken w/ the on board flash makes me cringe.
As to Promaster, I originally bought what must have been the forerunner (not even sure it was a "promaster") to it (4 wire of course) for about the same price as they are going for today. Lasted about 3 months before it fell apart.. Now the current one's do not look identical and I am rather hard on equip so I I'm not judgeing the current incarnation.

robar wrote:
Quote:
i've got the penyax cord and shoes also. email promaster and get it in writing that their cords will work with P-TTL before you purchase. the DL does not work with TTL conections. this is a pentax sore spot in my side.. i mean, why eliminate TTL support. even the k10d does not support it. SHAME ON YOU PENTAX!!!!!!!
oh, got my rig on ebay for 50usd.. best $$ i ever spent..

roy
Old Nov 11, 2006, 10:23 PM   #7

Hi Guys,

I have a Promaster cord and it works fine for with my DS + and AF200T, AF280T, AF500FTZ in TTL and AF360FGZ in P-TTL. I have heard that the Pentax shoe adapters and cord are not only more expensive, but are also of less robust construction and you have the added potential of losing one of the pieces.

I use mine mostly with a bracket, so length isn't a problem.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 7:13 AM   #8

Thanks for the contining input to my question. Scott, based on your endorsement, I will try the Pro Master cord. Good point about the 1 piece vs. 3 piece set.

A follow up question based on Oreo57's comment about 5 Pins...I checked the terminals of the DL and there are only 4 pins (matches the 4 contact points on the Sigma 500DG Super (P-TTL). There is a spot for a fifth pin on the DL, however, it is currently empty. So I wonder what the 5 Pin vs. 4 Pin issue is with regards to TTL/P-TTL?:? Jay
Old Nov 12, 2006, 8:06 AM   #9

4 points plus the side rail contact.......
Old Nov 12, 2006, 3:50 PM   #10

jelpee wrote:
Quote:
robar wrote:
Quote:
i've got the penyax cord and shoes also.roy
Roy & Crash, thanks for your input. Do you have the Pentzx F5P cord and the Hot Shoe & Off Camera Shoe Adaptor (s) "F"? If so, according to the description of the items at B&H, it refers to "TTL" capability. No mention of P-TTL. Check out the reference here:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

If either or the both of you are using the above cord, I wonder if the true compatibility issues is with the the flash unit vs the cords & adaptors :?

In the mean time. I have e-mailed Pro Master separately with my question.
that is exactly what i have but i have the 3m, 9' cord. and advantage if you don't want to use a bracket. altho i use it on my macro bracket 95% of the time. the other 5% is handheld.

roy