Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 12, 2006, 6:56 PM   #11

But I dont wan't to have to post process every picture or shoot everything in RAW, thats practically a full time job, and I dont have photoshop.

How are pictures with contrast and saturation tunred down to their lowest setting?
beethovenspiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 7:12 PM   #12

beethovenspiano wrote:
Quote:
How are pictures with contrast and saturation tunred down to their lowest setting?
try it and find out... film is cheap and reusable.

also setting a custom WB takes about 30 seconds. try it...

roy
Old Nov 12, 2006, 7:18 PM   #13

I don't have this camera yet.
beethovenspiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 7:57 PM   #14

dah ????
Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:18 AM   #15

I just use the natural setting, and leave everything else at default. I find the colors just about right. I prefer to adust sharpness (if any is required) during pp - I find that different lenses have different sharpness and think the camera can oversharpen some of them. Lenses will also affect the color of a picture, too - I find the same settings will give slightly different results depending on the lens.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:59 AM   #16

beethovenspiano wrote:
Quote:
In natural color mode, with contrast and saturation at their default middle setting, colors are absolutely fine out of the camera. I like them better with contrast and saturation set at -1 each, but that is a matter of preference. I tried saturation at -2, contrast still at -1, but it was too bland and I was adding a lot of saturation in post-processing. If you do no post-processing, and shoot JPGs out of the camera in natural color mode with saturation at 0 or -1, you will be very happy with what you get.

You do not need to shoot RAW in order to get wonderful pictures from this camera. People with very high standards will tell you that, and from their vantage point it is true, but their vantage point is not for everyone. If you shoot only JPGs and post-process rarely or never, you can still get wonderful pictures out of the K100D.

If you tell us what what camera you are using now, someone may be able to compare it to the K100D. My experience is that in natural color mode, the colors are generally similar to what I had with my two Canon Powershots, the S1-IS and the A300. But there is much more dynamic range, and the colors are noticeably brighter in lower light, as you would expect from the larger sensor.
BrettTurner is offline   Reply With Quote