Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 12, 2006, 6:53 AM   #1

Looking at samples from online reviews, including this site, colour saturation and contrast with the K100 seem to be very high - producing what look like slightly garish images. But many sample people post here have much more natural colours and contrast. What seetings are you using, are you using manual whitebalance and turning the contrast and saturation right down?

Can anyone post a sample with saturation and contrast turned right down compared to default values?
beethovenspiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2006, 9:52 AM   #2

Part of the confusion might be the fact that by default camera comes set to Bright mode. Apparently, the reviewers use whatever the default is (makes sense to some extent since they go for the lower denominator in terms of users abilities). Pentax made a mistake in my opinion on this default choice. I remember reading that they changed that in the upcoming K10D.
Most of us here, have it set to Natural. I for one have it with sharpness +1 as well. Look through various threads and you should see lots of pics.
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 11:45 AM   #3

I usually adjust the contrast/saturation to my taste when I post process in ps based upon each individual pic. I tend to favor more contrast/saturation in general, but that's just me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/royce10...7594242702790/
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 12:00 PM   #4

I don't have a K100, but my DS is set to the default setting, with no sharpening done in camera. I like images with contrast (not too much) and I do all my post processing in CS2 and am very happy with the results such as in this image with nothing done other than slight USM.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 12:12 PM   #5

Like DigitalAddict said, the default camera settings for JPeg is Bright mode that exaggerates satuation and contrast.

I shoot RAW exclusively and these settings does not impact RAW at all. If you are picky about picture quality, you should stick with RAW as well.
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 1:14 PM   #6

The default bright colors are especially bad with indoor shots, where they amplify the slightly-yellow cast of the K100D into something which is sometimes ugly.

K100D, bright colors, Sigma 18-125:

The wall and ceiling were supposed to be white. White balance was set to default, which in hindsight was a mistake.

The good news is, the problem disappears if you set the camera to natural colors, and maybe tone the saturation down one level.

K100D, natural colors, contrast -1, saturation -1, Pentax 50-200:

I boosted the saturation a bit in Paint Shop X, so this is probably closer to what would come out of the camera with Saturation set to zero. But definitely no yellow casting or no garish colors.

--Brett Turner
BrettTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 1:29 PM   #7

FYI. You are comparing two different lighting settings. Indoor tungsten/flourescent vs natural daylight. The example you give shows the difference in white balance which really is a separate issue from contrast/saturation. Indoor lighting is always funky. All digital cameras will perform poorly in indoor lighting when set to auto. For indoor lighting I recommend manually setting the white balance or shooting in RAW.

BrettTurner wrote:
Quote:
The default bright colors are especially bad with indoor shots, where they amplify the slightly-yellow cast of the K100D into something which is sometimes ugly.

K100D, bright colors, Sigma 18-125:

The wall and ceiling were supposed to be white. White balance was set to default, which in hindsight was a mistake.

The good news is, the problem disappears if you set the camera to natural colors, and maybe tone the saturation down one level.

K100D, natural colors, contrast -1, saturation -1, Pentax 50-200:

I boosted the saturation a bit in Paint Shop X, so this is probably closer to what would come out of the camera with Saturation set to zero. But definitely no yellow casting or no garish colors.

--Brett Turner
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 2:11 PM   #8

Auto white balance in both pictures. But you're right, an outdoor environment is different from an indoor one.

Same room as the first picture, later the same day, still auto white balance, but after I set the camera to natural colors:

Sigma 18-125. Still no yellow casting. The room has no windows so it wasn't a direct sunlight problem.

I know the autofocus went a bit long on this one---it's posted here to show the contrast with the yellow casting in the first picture.

As long as you don't set the colors to bright, the colors on the K100D are wonderful. Noticeably more dynamic range than on my S1-IS.

--Brett Turner

BrettTurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 4:00 PM   #9

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
I usually adjust the contrast/saturation to my taste when I post process in ps based upon each individual pic. I tend to favor more contrast/saturation in general, but that's just me.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/royce10...7594242702790/
it's not just you royce. me too. here's a little action i wrote for PS to enhance saturation. the last step lets you set the opacity of the layer before you flatten the image. i also will us the eraser tool on the saturated layer so parts of the original background don't get saturated at all. unpack and load it into your action pallette..

roy
Attached Files
File Type: zip Saturate.zip (409 Bytes, 35 views)
Old Nov 12, 2006, 5:45 PM   #10

BrettTurner wrote:
Quote:
Auto white balance in both pictures. But you're right, an outdoor environment is different from an indoor one.

Same room as the first picture, later the same day, still auto white balance, but after I set the camera to natural colors:

Sigma 18-125. Still no yellow casting. The room has no windows so it wasn't a direct sunlight problem.

The yellow casting are stickly related to the auto-white balance issue of the camera, nothing to do with Bright or Normal setting. Bright mode only amplifies the issue but it is not the cause. As mentioned above, not all pictures shoot indoors will have yellow cast. It's a complex problem and RAW is thesolution for this issue.
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote