Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 12, 2006, 5:48 PM   #1

Just gota manual M135mm3.5 at a price too low to mention. Let me say it is only 10% of the cost of an FA135mm2.8 at KEH.I just love the ever addictive feeling of the focus and aperture ring.

I did a comparison of it with FA135mm2.8. All shots were made at 4.5 (of both).

See http://www.pbase.com/danieltong/135mm35vs28

The lens is definitely a keeper . It is only 7 cm or 3" in length as you can see.

To what extent it is below that of FA135mm2.8? Need some input. I am toying with the tyrannical idea of trading my beloved FA135mm for the upcoming K10D of course with some extra cash.

Gee what am I talking about? Trading the foolproof FA135mm2.8!!:?

Daniel

Attached Images

danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2006, 6:55 PM   #2

Daniel,

The older f3.5 135mm and 28mm M series lenses are among the sharpest lenses Pentax ever produced but... they are rather slow (small aperture) compared to other prime lenses. I don't think you will find a significant difference in image quality but you will want the extra speed occasionally.

Tough call.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 8:01 PM   #3

Daniel - One of the lensesI recently sold on Ebay was an M42 - 135mm, f3.5. It was a super good lens in almost perfect condition. Not a scratch on it or speck of dust on the glass and it went to someone in Taiwan for $27. He got a steal considering the condition of the lens and case. I had to swallow hard to part with this lens. It was in the best condition of all my screw-mounts.

You will find that if a lot of your photography is outdoors, you will do fine with anf3.5. Originally, the 135mm was a very popular portrait lens in films days and very sharp. With the digital crop factor, it gives over 200mm, a little to much for most portraits. I assume your M135 is very similar to the M42-135 I had. You will like it and the focus is a breeze on them - Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 8:25 PM   #4

Monza76 wrote:
Quote:
Daniel,

The older f3.5 135mm and 28mm M series lenses are among the sharpest lenses Pentax ever produced but... they are rather slow (small aperture) compared to other prime lenses. I don't think you will find a significant difference in image quality but you will want the extra speed occasionally.

Tough call.

Ira
When you have 2 lens of the same performance with one just slightly faster. which one you are to put in your camera bag when you head out in the morning? The faster one.

There have been some discussion in the other forum about using the M135mm3.5 on its merit. It lags behind its very prominant brother FA135mm2.8 by just half a stop and it is manual focus. A lot of us just put it away as it does not hurt and you do not get that mucheven if you sell.

I am sure this lens is stellar in performance when stopping down to 6 or 7 or outdoor.

Well we are spoilt.

Daniel

Old Nov 12, 2006, 9:32 PM   #5

I watched recently a number of auctions of the 135mm lenses (both M and A) and I was almost ready to go for an A lens. I hesistated since I am not 100% sure what a prime lens at this focal length will bring extra than let's say a zoom.
Can you ilustrate some? How would compare, in real life the DOF at F3.5 at this focal length?

I happen to have a Pentacon 135mm F2.8 (long story) which I tested on a "handhold mount", i.e. holding it with the left hand against the mount of the camera and triggering the shutter via remote control switch (body on tripod). That is because I do not have a Pentacon-to-M42 adaptor. Anyway, I did it so I can evaluate the F2.8 at 135mm. But I eventually grew tired of the masochistic approach.

In case I was not obvious enough, I might need to add that at this LBA stage I am into fast lenses:-)

Here is a shot with Pentacon 135mm @F2.8 - no processing (this lens has 15 blades!):

This is a crop of it:

And here is the culprit:

DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 9:50 PM   #6

This is very sharp at 2.8 if you did not do any pp.

Definitely a keeper. But in real situation, it takes a couple more precious seconds for precise focusing which is why FA135mm sells so well. And I am sure the new DA*50-135 mm2.8 will sell well too if priced right

Daniel
Old Nov 12, 2006, 9:56 PM   #7

I did not touch a thing on that image other than resizing.
I keep the lens more as a collector item. Actually, I do not dare to sale it since it came from my in-law along with a Praktica camera:-)

Inside of the lens looks really bad. It probably has enough of everything: dust and fungus galore. But I couldn't believe my eyes that it does not show up in the pics.
Old Nov 12, 2006, 10:37 PM   #8

DigitalAddict wrote:
Quote:
I did not touch a thing on that image other than resizing.
I keep the lens more as a collector item. Actually, I do not dare to sale it since it came from my in-law along with a Praktica camera:-)

Inside of the lens looks really bad. It probably has enough of everything: dust and fungus galore. But I couldn't believe my eyes that it does not show up in the pics.
http://forum.pentaxfans.net/showthread.php?t=37612
There are some pict from Pentax Taiwan's site about the screw mount [M42] Pentacon 135/f2.8. They were made in G D R - former East Germany

Some interesting reading material in Eng if you feel like reading
http://www.kievusa.com/kepplerarticle.html

For Pentax dslr, not all the parts of the lens is used because of the crop factor.

My Zenitar 16mm has some very interesting story behind it too. For N Am users , they are outlandish and outdatedbut great lens if you manage manual

Daniel
Old Nov 14, 2006, 8:03 PM   #9

Still have no luck with any outdoor shots given the poor weather

http://www.pbase.com/danieltong/image/70190067

Indoor of a F4.5 shot of M135mm3.5

Decent one . I am tired of finding any difference between the two other than that it is just 1/2 stop slower

Daniel
Old Nov 14, 2006, 8:53 PM   #10

Well, now you know. So, whould we get to see a FA135mm on eBay soon? :-)