Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 12, 2006, 9:18 PM   #1

I'm just wondering what your photography timeline was. At what age did you think photography was for you? Also if you dont mind if you can highlight some of the keypoints of you life that has to do with photography. Like your first camera, or your first paid work or something. I know there are some of you that have been shooting for over 50 years and have a lot to say but try to highlights the major key points.

The reason why I posted this question was just to get a feel of wearing a shoe of a photographer and to get to know you guys better. Since I will be posting here for a while why not get to you some of the pentaxian on this board since we are a rare breed.

I'll start it off.

My name is Chris S. I am 24 years old right now and I just started to get serious into photography about a year ago when I decided to pick up a new hobbie. My first camera was the Fuji S5200. It was a great camera but I had it for only 3 month before I traded it in for the Pentax DS. I am much more happier with the Pentax now. Everything that I know about photography I taught myself. I wish I could take a class but I dont' have the time or money to do so.

This is an expensive hobby but I really enjoy it, I just wish that I started it eariler in my life.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 12, 2006, 9:22 PM   #2

I have had camera equipment for 45 years or more but I only got really interested at age 59 when the digital SLR came along!
John Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 10:15 PM   #3

ummmmm

tomorrow

Gumnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 11:50 PM   #4

Chris - I bought a Pentax Spotmatic ll, when I was 25, about the same age you are now. I always had a little snapshot camera, but the Spotmatic was a whole different ballgame. I remember I paid $147 for it with the f2.0 lens at 47th St Photo in NY. They had an ad in they back of Popular Photography.I just sold it this Spring on Ebay for $53 and it still worked great. It was with me for a lot of miles. You might say we grew old together, as I'll be 60 next month. Before getting my DLlastSpring, I had a digital Fuji S602Z for 3 years. It is still a pretty good camera and works great. My wife uses it nowwhen we go out picture taking. She just puts it in auto and can't go wrong- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 5:30 AM   #5

superakuma wrote:
Quote:
This is an expensive hobby but I really enjoy it, I just wish that I started it earlier in my life.
Every hobby has the potential to be expensive, it just depends how how much you get sucked in to to the notion that owning a large number of attachments & lens makes you a better photographer.

I've been interested in photography from my early teens but it wasn't until I started earning reasonable money that I could afford a SRL; my first a Zenith, then a Practika and my pride & joy, a Pentax K2. Interest wained after a while & it was a Canon APS compact that go me back into it followed by digital when the price ofmy first, a Fuji 409, dropped to U£400, then a Fuji S602 & currently my Pentax *istDS.

I just wish that digital, at today's prices, had been around when I was using my Pentax K2 (long since departed) & loads of film with associated developing costs which to a large extent, are a thing of the past with digital.

I'm extremely pleased with the results that I get from the *istDS - not necessarily 'straight out of the camera' but once post processed, the shots can really 'look the business'. As for lens, I have the Penax DA 18-55mm &Pentax 50-200mm which I use most of the time. I also have a Pentax M 100mm Macro which doesn't really get used (a legacy from my K2 days) and a Sigma 28-135mm Macro Zoom which stays indoors most of the time as it's not up to the performance of the 2 Pentax lens.

I would only like 1 more lens - an 18-200mm at the same quality as my 2 Pentax's but that's something in reality that will probably never happen.

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 7:14 AM   #6

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
superakuma wrote:
Quote:
This is an expensive hobby but I really enjoy it, I just wish that I started it eariler in my life.
Every hobby has the potential to be expensive.......
You got that right! Just about every hobby I've ever gotten involved in has been expensive. Hunting/target shooting, computers, photography...they all have endless lists of "must haves".

I've always been interested in photography but I didn't really make the investment in good equipment until recently. When I was a kid I had a few low-end 35mm cameras. Later on I got lazy and bought anice point-n-shoot 35mm. When digitals came out, I got a decent p&s Fuji digital. That dealt a fatal blow to film in my world. After the Fuji came a super-zoom digital with limited manual settings. Now at 40 years old, I just recently bought my first serious camera. I have a Pentax K100D DSLR and I love it. It's not something your going to see on the sidelines of the Super Bowl with a 3 foot long lens, but it will more than suit my purposes. I look forward to learning more about photography. This forum is a HUGE bonus!
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 7:20 AM   #7
TDN

I started to get into photography about 2 years ago. I was 17 at the time. My first camera of my own was a Panasonic FZ-3.

But it was only until the beginning of this year, when I participated in a contest for young artists, and won the local round, that I really got serious at it.

By winning that round (I didnt win the entire competition, for the record) my price was a workshop of a week in Antwerp, where all winenrs of each province worked together with a professional photographer on a small project.

By doing that, I got to know a lot of people, who were involved in other organisations, and that way I got one oppurtunity after another

then about 6 months ago I saw a great deal on a nearly new *ist DL, and decided to buy my first DLSR, and havent regretted it since.

Now photography covers a pretty large part of my life, and I hope to get more oppurtunities to get deeper into it
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 8:41 AM   #8

I was interested from about 12 or 13 years old but couldn't afford more than an instamatic until I had a job. Bought my first SLR at about age 23 in 1978, first Pentax in 1980 and have been involved ever since. There were years when the hobby faded due to expense and apathy but the past 10 years has been a real revival. Bought my first "capable" digital camera in 2004 (a decent Pentax Optio 3.3Mp p&s), bought my first "serious" digital camera in 2005 (a very impressive Fuji Finepix S7000 now used primarily by my wife, she loves the super-macro mode), and last Christmas my wife surprised me with a *istDL. Digital has definitely taken this hobby to a new level for me because I can now afford to experiment.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 8:51 AM   #9

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
Now at 40 years old, I just recently bought my first serious camera. I have a Pentax K100D DSLR and I love it. It's not something your going to see on the sidelines of the Super Bowl with a 3 foot long lens, but it will more than suit my purposes. I look forward to learning more about photography. This forum is a HUGE bonus!
Two things I would like to add to this statement:

1- I think Pentax is a brand that says something simple about its owners, they recognise that quality can be affordable and these are "serious" cameras.

2- I think it also reflects a satisfation in knowing that "amateur" is not a bad word, it implies a love of the medium, not a lack of knowledge. I know several "pro" photographers, a couple of them come to me when they have a question since they know that what I lack in experience I make up for in knowledge. I supply them with technical info and they give me hints on posing and lend me lighting equipment. A good deal for all. BTW much of that technical kowledge has come from this forum.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 9:15 AM   #10

I'm not serious about photography at all. I have no desire to do more than take pictures that please me, and have no desire to become a professional. I find the photos I take "on order" to be not very good. Photography is my way of being creative and requires inspiration for me, not the pressure of money and struture.

In fact, I was perfectly happy taking snaps with instamatic cameras until my boyfriend at the time bought me a Pentax ME in 1980. I still don't know why he bought me one - I hadn't asked for a camera - but I think he was trying to impress me. Since I suddenly had this SLR camera I decided to figure out how to use it, so got some books about photography and have forever enjoyed photography. I think that boyfriend has regretted buying me that camera, since its led into several other cameras (both the DS and the K100D this year) and a number of lenses. It's still a cheaper hobby than the horses I once owned whenwe lived in Texas!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote