Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 14, 2006, 7:01 AM   #11

Quote:
So for all of you who are frustrated with the backorder status of your particular lens, give ebay a try.

Oh I have, believe me. After waiting this last month, and hearing it could still be a while on backorder, I've bid on a couple F and FA 1.4's and 1.7's to no avail. I maximum bid 180us on a used FA 1.4 this week and got outbid for 205 or so. The prices have went through the roof on used F's and FA's. Some are going for close to or more than the price brand new. Anyone want to part with one for a decent price let me know ok? lol
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 7:49 AM   #12

Received shipping notice from Adorama this morning. The 50 f1.4 is on the way. Sigma 70-300 is not. I can live with that. Guess I got the last 50mm they had.

What will be interesting is what will be available when the K10D starts shipping.

36 hrs and counting.

Nick
flabuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 8:06 AM   #13
TC3

It is a fine lens

TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:11 AM   #14

Why couldn't I have seen this yesterday
Supa Lao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:31 AM   #15

Coincidentally enough, I myself placed an order for it with Adorama yesterday at around 3, not having seen this thread. It was listed as out of stock but I finally decided "heck with it, let me at least get in line."

Earlier yesterday, I visited the local photo consignment shop for the first time in probably 10 years. I ended up with a Promaster circular polarizer for $19, a genuine Pentax M42 adapter for $23, and a Vivitar 400mm 5.6 M42-mount for $89. Not stellar prices but not terrible, and they're in decent enough condition. (Actually the polarizer looks to have a little grease in the inside but I don't think it will show in actual photos - need to take some test shots, I have 10 days to return if I'm not happy. The Vivitar seems to work OK, a tad soft but not too bad, with pretty good color - but it wobbles a lot on my puny tripod. Sigh, I guess I need a sturdier tripod, one more thing to buy! It did work well on the bigger tripod I tested it with at the store.

Err, yeah, the point was, he had a 50mm 1.4 M42 mount for around $50... so if I get really desperate, that was an option, but I used my Sigma 28mm 2.8 manual-focus a lot on a recent trip and focusing was a real bear in low-light conditions, when you need to focus well to overcome the narrow DoF, so I think autofocus is import. A different focusing screen would help too, but one thing at a time!

I did notice yesterday that BH Photo did list the 50mm 1.4 on their site, which I don't think they did a few days before. They were getting $10 more for it, though, so I went with Adorama. That New York State tax is killing me, but what can you do? Hopefully Adorama will get some more in soon, I really hope to get mine before our vacation at the end of the year.

Damfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 12:30 PM   #16

This will not be much help, but I purchased a nice M50-f1.7 on Ebay last month and had to pay $58 for it. Even the older lenses are not going for the $30 they use to. I wanted the manual focus version and was lucky to get one in very good conditon. I have used a Spotmatic most of my life and so the M lens is a natural for me. It has that feel I'm use to.

TheA50-f1.7's were going for about $30-$50 more and the FA50-f1.4'swere going for more then the new price.The f1.7 is a super lens and I wouldn't hesitate getting a nice one instead of the f1.4. You really don't gain that much with the f1.4. That's the price we pay for Pentax getting popular again. What goes around, comes around, enjoy- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 8:24 AM   #17

I got a shipping notification from Adorama this morning, so I guess they got enough in stock to fill my order that I placed on Monday. It'll arrive tomorrow - I guess that's the advantage of them also being located in NYS.

Now my wife's ready to kill me for buying ANOTHER lens especially after coming home with the comically big and heavy Vivitar 400mm on Monday, but she'll get over it. I hope! :?
Old Nov 15, 2006, 1:14 PM   #18

Damfino wrote:
Quote:
I got a shipping notification from Adorama this morning, so I guess they got enough in stock to fill my order that I placed on Monday. It'll arrive tomorrow - I guess that's the advantage of them also being located in NYS.

Now my wife's ready to kill me for buying ANOTHER lens especially after coming home with the comically big and heavy Vivitar 400mm on Monday, but she'll get over it. I hope! :?
That is good news for you but bad news for me. I just got a email from them saying that the item is out of stock and they will ship it as soon as they get it. I placed the order on Monday at 8am or so and get the shipping notice from then that afternoon. Kinda strange that it took them 3 days to reply back to me. Kinda pissed too.:sad:
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 3:50 PM   #19

An automated email or one written by a human? I never saw it as anything but "out of stock" on their website.

Actually, I think when I ordered it, I didn't notice the usual backorder warning on the description page, but putting it in the cart did show the message that it was backordered.

Hopefully it's a case of the right hand not knowing what the left one is doing, and your lens is going to ship or has. It looks like you said that you did get a shipping notification on Monday? The one I got included the UPS tracking number, which is as much proof as I need (I was able to see where it was and when it was scheduled to be delivered.)

Old Nov 15, 2006, 5:17 PM   #20

I got the shipping notication without a tracking number. I think the mistake that I made was ordering it through amazon.com via adorama store. I ordered it through amazon.com because I wanted to save an extra $30 on the lense but I guess my cheapness cost me the lens.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote