Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 15, 2006, 8:33 PM   #21

flabuckeye wrote:
Quote:
Received shipping notice from Adorama this morning. The 50 f1.4 is on the way. Sigma 70-300 is not. I can live with that. Guess I got the last 50mm they had.

What will be interesting is what will be available when the K10D starts shipping.

36 hrs and counting.

Nick
UPS tracking had the pkg. arriving Miami at 6:15 AM. On the delivery truck at 7:52. Has been a long day!

Quit counting at 6:45 PM EST today. All the Pentax items I ordered arrived including the 50mm f1.4. Now to read the books and charge batteries.

Luck to those waiting. Nick

flabuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 8:37 PM   #22

DigitalAddict wrote:
Quote:
I put my sights on either a Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 going for $350 or Tokina/Sigma in the same range (cheaper for sure).
They seem to cover a lot of the primes range: normal to portraiture.

Let us know how the zoom compares with the prime. I hope that at F2.8 is good enough.

I haven't used the lens to which you refer, but the FA50/f1.4 is really hard to beat. I'm constantly amazed that I took the shots I did with this lens. It's WELL worth the money.

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 8:46 PM   #23

Quote:
I haven't used the lens to which you refer, but the FA50/f1.4 is really hard to beat. I'm constantly amazed that I took the shots I did with this lens. It's WELL worth the money. Russ
I have the FA50mm F1.4 myself as well. Just trying to see if I can shoot 2 birds with one bullet. Basically, it would be much cheaper to get a fast and relatively fast lens than a number of expensive primes.
No way I can afford the FA77mm or *85mm for portraits. I am a lot interested in the performance wide open at the long end, i.e. 75mm.
That will be my only chance to get F2.8 at that focal length without getting in trouble. Sleeping in an unfinished basement in Minnesota during the winter ain't fun if you know what I mean:-)
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 10:20 AM   #24

For what it's worth, my 50mm 1.4 arrived yesterday, it sat safe and sound in a UPS-provided plastic bag on my stoop in the pouring rain just waiting for me to come home from work.

I only took a couple shots but so far, it's very nice. I didn't find the DoF to be as much of a problem at 1.4 as I feared, but of course, it hunts a little for focus in the dim light on my DL, so I'll probably end up having to manual-focus it when the lights get too dim and I am shooting a moving object.

Damfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 1:52 PM   #25

DigitalAddict wrote:

"I have the FA50mm F1.4 myself as well. Just trying to see if I can shoot 2 birds with one bullet. Basically, it would be much cheaper to get a fast and relatively fast lens than a number of expensive primes.
No way I can afford the FA77mm or *85mm for portraits. I am a lot interested in the performance wide open at the long end, i.e. 75mm.
That will be my only chance to get F2.8 at that focal length without getting in trouble. Sleeping in an unfinished basement in Minnesota during the winter ain't fun if you know what I mean:-)"

__________________________________________________ ______________

I don't know if you'd consider this an alternative, but if you want a fast @75mm portrait lens, you might consider using your 50/1.4 with a good 1.4x or 1.5x TC. It would give you an f2 70mm or 75mm lens. I've found that a good TC in this range gives minimal image degradation, especially when you pair it with a great lens. This would obviously cost less than the Tam zoom. BTW, I have the 28-75/2.8 XR Di. . . and it's a great lens, but if money is an issue, the Tamron 1.4x AF TC @ $60 might at least give you close to what you're looking for with a minimal $$$ outlay, and it would make for a lighter bag -- all the fast 28 to 70ish zooms are pretty heavy.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 3:31 PM   #26
TC3

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
DigitalAddict wrote:

"I have the FA50mm F1.4 myself as well. Just trying to see if I can shoot 2 birds with one bullet. Basically, it would be much cheaper to get a fast and relatively fast lens than a number of expensive primes.
That will be my only chance to get F2.8 at that focal length without getting in trouble. Sleeping in an unfinished basement in Minnesota during the winter ain't fun if you know what I mean:-)"

__________________________________________________ ______________

I don't know if you'd consider this an alternative, but if you want a fast @75mm portrait lens, you might consider using your 50/1.4 with a good 1.4x or 1.5x TC. It would give you an f2 70mm or 75mm lens. I've found that a good TC in this range gives minimal image degradation, especially when you pair it with a great lens. This would obviously cost less than the Tam zoom. BTW, I have the 28-75/2.8 XR Di. . . and it's a great lens, but if money is an issue, the Tamron 1.4x AF TC @ $60 might at least give you close to what you're looking for with a minimal $$$ outlay, and it would make for a lighter bag -- all the fast 28 to 70ish zooms are pretty heavy.

Scott
I also like the fa50 1.4 with the Tamron tc....works very well
TC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 4:16 PM   #27

snostorm and TC3,
Thanks for the tip. I never thought of it. I see that the Tamron teleconverter 1.4 eats one stop: not an issue with FA 50mm 1.4:-)

This will really be a cheap alternative to longer primes.

One question: loss of one stop results in coresponding DOF increase?
In other words, if I dial F2 (one stop slower) with the TC 1.4 on, will I get the same DOF as with F2.8?

This assumes that the increase in focal length gets compensated by the distance to subject, i.e. keep the same frame size of the subject.
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 5:07 AM   #28

No. DoF stays the same. Only the relative DoF changes - i.e. loss of light.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 8:09 PM   #29

flabuckeye wrote:
Quote:
Received shipping notice from Adorama this morning. The 50 f1.4 is on the way. Sigma 70-300 is not. I can live with that. Guess I got the last 50mm they had.

What will be interesting is what will be available when the K10D starts shipping.

36 hrs and counting.

Nick
re Sigma 70-300. I can NOT live with that. Called Adorama and they have no idea when itwould be in. Cancelled and ordered from BH. They have had them for over a week. UPS said itarrived in Miami about 4:30 today. Another long day ahead waiting. Nick
flabuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2006, 10:10 PM   #30

Wow you brought my thread back from the dead huh.
:-)

Just to update everyone, on Monday this week I got another email from adorama saying that they shipped my lens. I should get it this friday, I can't wait.!
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote