Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:21 PM   #1

I just want to let everyone know that the Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4 is back in stock. I know this lense has been out of stock for a while due to the last rebate they had. I've been waiting for this lense for about a month now but it seems to be more like a year because I keep checking everyday.

For any pentax owner wondering about if they should get this or not, just get it. Get it while you still can because they are out of stock just about everywhere.

They have the lens at adorama for $209.95 and with the pentax $50 rebate, it makes it only $159.95.
http://www.adorama.com/PX5014AFA.htm...&item_no=1

Adorama also have the listing at amazon.com. If you don't have a amazon credit card and don't mind signing up for one. You can get another $30 off if you qualify for the card and use it to buy the lens.
http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-SMCP-FA...;s=electronics

Within this week I just spent close to $600 just buying lenses/filter for my Pentax DS. Last Friday I bought the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG for about $350 with a hoya filter and now I just spent $250 on the Pentax 50mm and filter. Talk about a bad case of LBA!
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:32 PM   #2

I put my sights on either a Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 going for $350 or Tokina/Sigma in the same range (cheaper for sure).
They seem to cover a lot of the primes range: normal to portraiture.

Let us know how the zoom compares with the prime. I hope that at F2.8 is good enough.

DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 2:12 PM   #3

Nice! I am interested in seeing pics taken with that lens.

I can't wait to see your shots.

bslayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 2:40 PM   #4

Thanks for the information but its arrived a little late. I got frustrated waiting for the FA 50 1.4 so went out and bought a M50 1.4. A great lens and shooting manual has been a pleasure. I have not regretted my purchase
Spinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 3:07 PM   #5

superakuma wrote:

"Talk about a bad case of LBA!"

That's not so bad a case at all . . .:-)

I had a two month period last winter when I found "too good to pass" deals on:

A LN Tokina 80-400 AT_X Pro AFII
A LN A*200/2.8
A E++ A*300/4
A E FA*300/4.5
A E++ PF 1.7x AFA
A E+ Vivtar 2x MFTC
A LN Tokina 80-200/2.8 AT-X Pro AFII

. . . and then Pentax announced the first of their now continuing lens rebates. . .

Looking back, I really didn't need that car, and well. . . food isn't THAT important -- I needed to lose some weight anyway. . .:shock:

. . . but I've got some great lenses!!! :-)

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 4:27 PM   #6

Just checked, they are out of stock!

I am glad I got my copy in. And I was going to ask my gf first to see if she would get mad at me for buying it. If I did, I would have to wait until the next time they get in.
superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 8:11 PM   #7

Well I placed my order at my local camera store about a month ago. I hope to have the FA 50 1.4 soon. I'm getting anxious to see how sharp this lens actually is
Spiritbro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 8:28 PM   #8

I could not wait any longer as we head north first of Dec. Put it off, waiting on K10 in Oct. Now it seems will be Dec. As for the 50mm f1.4. I ordered it from Adorama and Norm said they had one left. That was around 2PM. Most of the primes were on backorder at both B-H and Adorama. K100D with kit lens, 360 flash, 12-24mm f4, 50mm f1.4 and a Sigma 70-300mm APO. Sigma on backorder, but I can wait for that.

Broke my Sony in St Louis for a wedding. If I hit it just right it works for a few pics.

48 hours and counting.

Rebates should be back about the time the new lens types are available in Feb.

So the rebates will be late, so will the new lens!

Nick.
flabuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 3:13 AM   #9

Hrm. It seems like there is a supply issue with current lenses for pentax bodies. I guess since there are so many new pentax dslr users with recent sales of the DL and K100D, we have decimated the available supply like a swarm locusts.

With all of the holiday parties and get togethers coming up, I really wanted a fast indoor portrait lens asap. Not having the patience to wait for the backorder of FA 50mm 1.4 lens to be restocked, I went searching on ebay. I bought a smc-f 50mm 1.7 lens (mint) for $159.

Here's a sample shot (with this lens on my k100d) of my wife under bathroom lighting.

Xmas is coming early for me this year because I also won another auction bid just today. I got the sigma 70-300 apo dg macro (mint condition) for $145.

So for all of you who are frustrated with the backorder status of your particular lens, give ebay a try.

(FYI: My wife is 4 months pregnant, not fat. She wanted me to explain that...lol:lol
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 6:03 AM   #10

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
FYI: My wife is 4 months pregnant, not fat. She wanted me to explain that...lol
We'd never have guessed!!

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote