Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 13, 2006, 1:25 PM   #1

Hey everyone.. Im relatively new to this forum, havent posted much but have been lurking and viewing some amazing photos that you guys have posted. Im stuck with a little bit of an issue that I am not sure how to fix. Im not actually even quite sure that it is a problem although I assume that it is. I went to the Museum of Natural History in New York City this past weekend and brought along my *ist DL equipped with my new 35mm f/2.0 lens. I was taking several shots and was relatively pleased, and then decided to switch to Manual mode (usually im in Av priority or even Tv priority) and to my dismay, realized that the exposure compensation was at -3.0 and blinking.. Also disturbing was that I could not change that to 0.0

I realize that in manual mode you cannot change the exposure compensation but How do I at least get it out of -3.0?? I could not take properly exposed shots with that sort of exposure compensation.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks!!

By the way, I just picked up the Pentax 35mm f/2.0 lens this past week and I highly recommend it to anybody even remotely interested in the lens.. I love it!!

Again, If anyone knows how I can solve this issue or shed some insight that I may be missing, I would really appreciate the help!
PanagiotisDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2006, 1:40 PM   #2

Hi PanagiotisDJ,

The flashing -3.0 isn't exposure compensation in manual mode. It's a reading of relative exposure value -- in other words, the settings you had for ISO, shutter speed and aperture were yielding an exposure that was more than 3 stops underexposed. If you drop your shutter speed and open up your aperture, and maybe even increase the ISO, you should see it change. When the meter reads 0.0, it's about at where you want to be exposure-wise. You then have to decide whether the combination of settings is what you want for the subject. You can raise the shutter speed and open up the aperture to stop motion better, or close the aperture and slow the shutter speed to get more DOF. If that's not enough to achieve your purposes, then play with the ISO to get the combo that you need.

Scott
snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 1:54 PM   #3

snostorm wrote:
Quote:
Hi PanagiotisDJ,

The flashing -3.0 isn't exposure compensation in manual mode. It's a reading of relative exposure value -- in other words, the settings you had for ISO, shutter speed and aperture were yielding an exposure that was more than 3 stops underexposed. If you drop your shutter speed and open up your aperture, and maybe even increase the ISO, you should see it change. When the meter reads 0.0, it's about at where you want to be exposure-wise. You then have to decide whether the combination of settings is what you want for the subject. You can raise the shutter speed and open up the aperture to stop motion better, or close the aperture and slow the shutter speed to get more DOF. If that's not enough to achieve your purposes, then play with the ISO to get the combo that you need.

Scott

So I guess this is the time for me to smack myself for not paying attention to the manual... lol Well, Thank you for your input

Boy do I feel silly lol...
PanagiotisDJ is offline   Reply With Quote