Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 13, 2006, 2:07 PM   #1

Anyone have any experience or know which is the better of the 2 lenses?
Budget is sort of tight and I figured these 2 lenses match my budget.

Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO
http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/len...mp;navigator=3

or

Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro 1:2
http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/70300_di_a017.asp
jmack100d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2006, 9:34 AM   #2

No hands-on experience with the Tamron, but I do have the Sigma (70-300mm APO DG Macro). Bottom-line: good bokeh (background blur); dislike the macro, as I can never get the lens close enough; fairly sharp at 300mm, with stop down a bit (aperture at f8, rather than wide open at f/5.6). Pretty much a joy to use overall w/my k100d. (The macro hassles will be resolved later, via Tamron's 90mm.)

Caveat: if you're trying to snap a small bird or the like, be sure you do NOT have autofocus-continuous selected. The constant hunting will drive ya nuts. Oddly, in such situations, the single auto-focus is a no-grief experience-- just the opposite of what I expected. Go figure, eh?!

I'd buy it again, in a heartbeat. Grabbed it from B&H for $219. They have an ok return policy, which is why I purchased there. Happily, it's proven to be a keeper, and is now my most frequently used lens.
TreoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 9:47 AM   #3

I've looked at both as well, and I've decided to get the Tamron. I don't really have any solid reason as to why since both are so similar. For some reason, I just like it better. If you are interested, you can get the Tamron from ebay (brand-new w/warranty) for $149.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tamron-70-300mm-...QQcmdZViewItem

Also, I was told by a sales person at a Ritz Camera store that their "store brand" Quantary lenses are made by Sigma. I don't know if that's true, but if it is, it would be a way to save some money on the Sigma version. They have it for $149 also.

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/251666111.htm
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 10:06 AM   #4

Anybody can compare any of these two lenses with Pentax DA 50-200mm in terms of image quality?
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 10:20 AM   #5

DigitalAddict wrote:
Quote:
Anybody can compare any of these two lenses with Pentax DA 50-200mm in terms of image quality?
I've never seen a direct comparason between those lenses. I was very interested in the Pentax but it's more expensive (even with the rebate) and I already know that I want the extra reach of the 300mm. I have seen various photos posted by owners of the Tamron, and it seems like it should serve me well. Especially for the price!

Old Nov 15, 2006, 10:39 AM   #6

Here is the Tamron 75-300 using my favorite test subject:

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 10:49 AM   #7

Those look great. Nice and sharp. Maybe it's just me, but I kind of expected there to be a bigger difference between the 75mm shot and the 300mm shot.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 11:14 AM   #8

Set it up and dialed 300 and then 75 and that is what I got! I thought they were pretty good for a lens I paid almost nothing for and is very light weight.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 11:25 AM   #9

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
Set it up and dialed 300 and then 75 and that is what I got! I thought they were pretty good for a lens I paid almost nothing for and is very light weight.

Tom
Yeah, that's the other thing I like about them...they don't weigh much. I know many people will turn up their noses at a Tamron or Sigma (usually those who paid way too much for a different brand) but I think they perform quite well. Huge bang for the buck!
Old Nov 15, 2006, 12:48 PM   #10

i have the tamron 70-300 and it takes fabulous pictures. i have used the macro at 300mm, but needed a tripod to do so otherwise the slightest shake can be noticed in the picture. it can be a little tricky switching from macro back to normal, but once i figured out todial into 180mm first, then switch out of macro, easy enough from that point on.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote