Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 13, 2006, 4:54 PM   #1

Now that the new K serie is out, what do you think about the possibility of having further updates of the firmware of the *istDS ?
Will Pentax invest in further improvements of this camera or will leave it as it is ?
All forecasts welcome.
Ciao.document.write('[img]/forums/images/emoticons/confused-smiley-017.gif[/img]');
dam59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2006, 5:08 AM   #2

Not really sure what else they could update to now that the latest version accommodates 4G SD Cards.

Personally, I would like to see the ISO warning indicator functionall the time so that it's there when it 'kicks in' under low light - presently, the ISO is incremented to the maximum value as set in the options but there's no indication, so you'releftslightly in the dark (no pun intended).
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 8:10 AM   #3

dam59 wrote:
Quote:
Now that the new K serie is out, what do you think about the possibility of having further updates of the firmware of the *istDS ?
Will Pentax invest in further improvements of this camera or will leave it as it is ?
All forecasts welcome.
Ciao.document.write('[img]/forums/images/emoticons/confused-smiley-017.gif[/img]');
The *ist DS latest firmware supports SDHC cards and it has 99% of the features of those of the K100D softwarewise. So, what "improvement" you still want to have? :-)

Do note that the real performance improvements come from hardware upgrade, but not via firmware patch.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 8:18 AM   #4

Catbells wrote:
Quote:
Not really sure what else they could update to now that the latest version accommodates 4G SD Cards.

Personally, I would like to see the ISO warning indicator functionall the time so that it's there when it 'kicks in' under low light - presently, the ISO is incremented to the maximum value as set in the options but there's no indication, so you'releftslightly in the dark (no pun intended).
Are you sure about this? On my DL, I can set ISO warning indicator to ISO 1600 and whenever the camera reaches ISO 1600, the light goes off. But I don't let the auto ISO go over ISO800. Hence, not much chance for me to test it and the ISO warning light is so easy to ignore

I wish K10D could have numeric ISO value display in the view finder.
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 9:51 AM   #5

Foxbat121 wrote:
Quote:
Catbells wrote:
Quote:
Are you sure about this? On my DL, I can set ISO warning indicator to ISO 1600 and whenever the camera reaches ISO 1600, the light goes off. But I don't let the auto ISO go over ISO800. Hence, not much chance for me to test it and the ISO warning light is so easy to ignore

I wish K10D could have numeric ISO value display in the view finder.
Quite sure.

In the menu - ISO sensitivity warn display I've set the warning to 3- ISO 800 which will display a warning if the ISO value is manually set to ISO 800 or higher when Fnis pressed to select the ISO speed.

In this setting the ISO warning is displayed in the viewfinder if ISO 800 or higher is set.
In the menu - ISO correct in auto I've set it to 4 - ISO 200-3200 which will correct sensitivity automatically in the range of ISO 200 - 3200 when Fn is pressed to select AUTO.

In this setting the ISO warning does not come on the viewfinder - the only indication that you have is when the exposure settings start to 'flash' indicating that you are outside a valid exposure setting.
I mentioned this to Pentax UK who informed me that they had no intention of changing this which is quite a shame as it would be quite a useful feature.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 12:26 PM   #6

I guess that makes sense in certain perspective since those auto-iso setting are only temporary. BTW, I only make mine 200-800. Anything over that I need to carefully consider if it is worth it to take such a noisy picture. Hence maual selection on ISO 1600. I never use ISO 3200.
Foxbat121 is offline   Reply With Quote