Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 17, 2006, 12:55 PM   #31

Quote:
bill, watch out-- another 111 pix and you cross the 1000 shot threshold

roy
Is this bad?

I just like to practice.
billkater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 1:13 PM   #32

billkater wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
bill, watch out-- another 111 pix and you cross the 1000 shot threshold

roy
Is this bad?

I just like to practice.
doubt it..
i probably have about 2000 saved and half++ of those mean nothing to me and i'll hit 12,000 this weekend probably. aint it fun??? i'll shoot 150 shots just to ck a lens out and delete them all..

what software do you have available?

roy
Old Nov 17, 2006, 1:26 PM   #33

Photo shop 7.0
ImageReady 7.0
Pentax Photo Lab and Browser

I am having fun, just trying to learn

Bill

What are some of the others I should use? What should I use to edit RAW photos?

Anywhere to go to see alist?

Thansk

billkater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 1:31 PM   #34

bill , here's the first one after a little PPing.
Attached Images

Old Nov 17, 2006, 1:58 PM   #35
PDL

Back to focus.

Why not just use use the shutter button and then turn AF off?

The OK button is always there, no need to flip a switch. Even if you feel the need to modify the focus manually after the AF quits - at least on my Pentax lenses when the focus is set or I am not pushing the OK button - the lens/AF clutch is disengaged. I can manually move the focus around as much as I want.

Also, as I mentioned in a previous post, the flat ground glass screen has no "old timer" focusing aids - fine focus detail is not there. AF does a good job - at the distance that these images are taken at - manual focusing is not going to provide additional detail. I have also set the camera up to use only the center focus element - I point the camera at the "thing" I want in focus - press the OK button - frame the image and use the thumb wheel to change the aperture to get the shutter speed/depth of field I can. (I shoot AV 99% of the time)

Since is cloudy up here (NW USA) most of the time - I usually shoot wide open. I really need to hit the pawn shops for a 50mm f1.8. I hate flash and just love available light.

The K10D has a AF button on the back - since I will not be able to think about getting one until late spring (northern hemisphere) - I have not pursued looking into its actual functionality.

PDL
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 2:43 PM   #36

billkater wrote:
Quote:
Photo shop 7.0
ImageReady 7.0
Pentax Photo Lab and Browser

I am having fun, just trying to learn

Bill

What are some of the others I should use? What should I use to edit RAW photos?

Anywhere to go to see alist?

Thansk
adobe has ACR as a plugin from v8, CS. that's what i use. i also have raw shooter premium which is no more as adobe bought them out. a few here have that the newer version of pentax raw is pretty good since they bought silky pix. ACR is what i'm use too so that's pretty much what i use. google 'raw converters' and see what you get.

roy
Old Nov 17, 2006, 3:02 PM   #37

here's the last one. the original would do much better.. in these varied ligting situations shooting in raw is best.

harriet, kodak makes a nice little gray/white card it's around 4.5x6. it goes real nice in the back of my bag..

roy
Attached Images

Old Nov 17, 2006, 4:38 PM   #38

i'm just a fng, but i do both what BrettTurner and PDL do.
The reasons are the same as both have stated previously.

i think, the reason for the AF shift to the OK button is one of speed.

while i did do the half shutter button release, focus, and switch to manual, simply hitting the OK button is faster rather than the time taken for moving my hand to roughly the right spot, or feeling around, and sliding the button from AF to MF.
thats a long time for me.
[shifting left hand around is slower than shifting my right thumb to the ok, or a little further now because of my sg1 grip in portrait orientation]

not long ago i almost gave up on AF and simply used manual lenses [50/1.7 28/2.8 etc] or my one or two AF's on manual all the time instead.

recently got another bunch of AF's [sigma 28-105/2.8 and sigma 50/2.8 ex dg] so i'll see how i go again with AF's whatever does the job quickly i guess.

zoikzoik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 10:33 PM   #39

Definitely think using the OK button would be faster, but you'll need to make sure your lens has a clutch. My Phoenix does not, so any time you have theswitch set to AF, you can't manually focus at all - the ring won't turn and the instructions warn you not to try it, or you can damage the AF mechanism.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 12:05 AM   #40
PDL

Score one for Pentax lenses. That said, I do turn AF off when I use my mid 70's Vivitar 300mm telephoto. (bought a K mount adapter - took me weeks to figure out how to get it to work) I do hold in the OK button to have the little green hexagon in the viewfinder tell me when the "thing" is in focus. Whatever floats your boat.

I basically decided to use the OK button when the instructors in a photo workshop said they used it (Ni*on and C*non users) suggested that "the photographer should be in control". While I like autofocus - I hate the idea of always having to "correct" what the camera thinks is the best "thing" to focus on. I try to use the other computer behind and above my eyes.

This leaves me with the task of composition - the main component of photography these days. Something of a dieing art - with focus and exposure being measured by the "thing" dead center of the frame. 700 years of "rule of thirds, golden triangle, balance etc" down the tubes - slaves of the machine.

PDL - I digress - and - apologize for getting off subject.
PDL is offline   Reply With Quote