Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 14, 2006, 7:51 PM   #1

so tell me what you guys think. i took this picture at the concert this past weekend. the stage had some red lights shining down on to the stage to give it that red effect. took this handheld at 1/6 of a second with my istDL and FA 50mm 1.4. should i adjust the white balance a tad, or leave it as is?

i think it came out pretty interesting to say the least.
Attached Images

ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 14, 2006, 8:00 PM   #2

i adjusted the white balance to show a comparison between the two. i dunno, the first one looks kinda exciting to me and leave a little more to the imagination in my eyes. what do you think?
Attached Images

ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 8:28 PM   #3

The first one looks better to me. You might be the one to know what the mood was at the time the pic was taken. If it was that red I would live it as is.
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:43 PM   #4

Another vote for the first one. It's obvious that its stage lighting. By changing the wb, the feeling of the stage isn't as strong and it accentuates the little bit of camera shake there is in the picture (not noticeable in the first one - can't believe you handheld a DL that slow - I sure can't!). It's not like you are trying for a factual rendition of a bass, is it? Go with your instincts, I think your first one is more interesting.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 7:06 AM   #5

1st one
Old Nov 15, 2006, 11:24 AM   #6

Stage lighting has alway been a pain to me since the lighting is almost always very uneven and with multiple colors.

It seems to me that is you are taking shots portions of the stage, then the lighting like the first one is what you want. If you are trying to get shots of the entire stage, when you would want to change the WB to get the final image you are looking for.

The last shots I did for the local stage group were a real pain to try to get the lighting even over the entire stage because of the serious hot spots and the lack of DR in digital imaging. They always turn out much better if I use my MZ-S and film, since it (film not the camera) can deal with the lighting far better than digital does.

Long story short-I like #1

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote