Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 15, 2006, 9:55 AM   #1

Anyone here use a mirror lens with their K100? I have a 500mm f8 Russian lens, not sure what make though.

I'm wondering how easy or hard they are to focus? As the K100 still provides focus confirmation for manual focus lens do you find them fairly easy to use? I did get quite a few out of focus shots with my old K1000 film SLR, but hopefully that wouldn't be to common with the K100.

How well does the K100 focusing system handle these lenses?
beethovenspiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 15, 2006, 10:43 AM   #2

I have use a couple, a Celestron 1,200mm and a Pentax 500mm and found them to be kind of a pain to use since they are both very sensitive to even the slightest movement. Also they are fairly slow (understatement) and can only be used with the best lighting.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 10:49 AM   #3
TDN

Also know that mirror lenses have a very particular, "donut-like" bokeh, which a lot of people find ugly. (so do i)

Here's what I mean: http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?o...article=103006

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 12:59 PM   #4

Hi beethovenspiano,

I have a DS, but that shouldn't make any difference to the subject of the post. I recently bought a Tamron SP500 f8 mirror, and find that with the very narrow DOF, it focuses pretty easily with the DS, both eyeballing (focus seems to "snap in" better than other long lenses that I own) and with the focus indicator (seems to be pretty positive acting as opposed to other lenses where the indicator is sometimes hit-and-miss). The difference in VFs should make little difference as the K100D seems to be just a hair smaller, but is a hair brighter than the DS.

Tom's comment concerning sensitivity to movement is valid. I find that the low relative weight of the lens unfortunately contributes to the situation, and makes heavier refractive lenses of the same FL easier to hold steadily. With the SR of the K100D, this should be less of a problem.

TDN's comment is also true, but I think that with digital Post Processing, the bokeh problem is much less critical than it was with film, and is a reasonable tradeoff for the convenience and otherwise high IQ my lens gives me, and it is possible to sometimes find a shooting angle where bokeh is not really an issue.

Since you already own the lens, it's not a matter of whether you should spend the money, but if it will be useable. IMO, it will be (but I don't know about that particular lens, so can't say for sure).

Scott

snostorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 1:01 PM   #5

that was an interesting read. i was surprised at the different lens comparisons at the end of the article, that as the longer focal length lenses moved further away from the subject they became more blurred than the faster, shorter focal length lenses.
milrodpxpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2006, 1:34 PM   #6

Thanks for the replys everyone. Its a M42 screw mount lens, I have the M42 to Pentax adaptor.

Here's a pic of the lens attached to my K1000.

Attached Images

Old Nov 15, 2006, 5:36 PM   #7

Hmmm looking at the flash protrusion on the K100, i'm wondering if the mirror lens will fit on the camera now. Are all of these mirror lenses about the same size?
Old Nov 16, 2006, 4:04 AM   #8

Hi beethovenspiano,

My Tamron takes an 82mm fiter in front, and is the same diameter the length of the lens (other than the mount). It fits fine on the DS.

Scott
Old Nov 16, 2006, 5:38 PM   #9

Anyone have any mirror lens samples with their K100?
Old Nov 16, 2006, 8:05 PM   #10

Hi beethovenspiano,

I posted a few shots when I first got the SP500/8. They, and my minireview are located at:

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

Although I use a DS, the sensor is the same as the K100D, so they should be pretty indicative of what at least the Tamron can do.

Scott