Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 16, 2006, 2:26 AM   #1

as in the topic I want to buy a good wideangle lens. I waws looking at:

Pentax 20mm f4 prime (manual)

Pentax A 24mm f2.8

Pentax FA 24-90 f3.5-4.5 AL [IF]

Sigma EX 24mm f1.8

the problem is that both Pentax primes are not that common and when you can get them on ebay they go for around 180 $ (there's one 24mm with buy it now price of 175 pounds, that more than 300$). pentax zoom is currently at 82 pounds with 4 days to go. and I can get brand new sigma for 200 pounds.

the question is will they be visibly better than Pentax kit lens? I mean in terms of sharpness and contrast. what about theif flare and ghosting?

18mm is nice but it's quite soft and vignets a lot. I think 24mm would be enough for my landscape attempts.

if anyone has some experience with these lenses or some links to comparasion sites I'd be very grateful

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2006, 8:14 AM   #2

remember the crop factor 24mm = 36mm

how about the russian lentar/zenar(?) 16mm?? these go for BIN for 110-130usd. a few here use them with excellent results.

roy
Old Nov 16, 2006, 9:36 AM   #3

Sigma 10-20mm EX

errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 10:08 AM   #4

I remember about crop factor, but I find 18mm hard to use. I either have too much sky or too much boring foreground. 36mm Is still wide enough for landscape but would be much easier to use.

I was thinking about zenitar but I don't like fisheye effect, if there's a program which could remove it then why not.

I'd like to use prime because they make you use one focal lenght which IMO makes you think more about composition, not just use zoom and see what happens. besides for landscape you really need this hyperfocal distance scale on lens barrel.

that sigma photo looks great. does EX stands for something more than just great external looks? is it sigma top of the range lens? couldn't find anything more on sigma website.

thanks

greg
Old Nov 16, 2006, 11:06 AM   #5

greg,
you might like the smc M28mm f2.8. sharp as a knife and isn't that much $$$. they are on eekbay all the time. here's an uncropped example.

roy
that 10-20 shot is great.. was it cropped??
Attached Images

Old Nov 16, 2006, 11:34 AM   #6

Greg - I'll have to go with Roy on this one. I have an M28-f2.8 and they are one of the sharpest primes made. If I need more wide angle then it can deliver, which is not very often, I use my 18-55mmkit lens. You can get M28's on Ebay for $50 -$60 invery good condition. Pretty cheap for a nice prime. It give's the equivalent of 42mm, which makes it a wider version of what we use to like in film days. It's not super wide, but for many outdoor landscapes, it's enough. The 28mm is often so much better then the 50mm,equivalent to75mm, whichis to much telephoto for landscapes. If I could have two lenses, it would be the 28 and 50, both super sharp and with me I like the manual focus ones, but that's just me- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 11:58 AM   #7

Full frame on the 10-20 image, levels and vignette applied in photoshop

Roy the colour in that 28mm pic is fantastic-

I just picked up a 28/2.8 SMC-A pentax lens for nothing but am yet to try it out/
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 12:44 PM   #8

errno_gmm wrote:
Quote:
Full frame on the 10-20 image, levels and vignette applied in photoshop

Roy the colour in that 28mm pic is fantastic-

I just picked up a 28/2.8 SMC-A pentax lens for nothing but am yet to try it out/
Gee you just got a M135mm3.5 for free too.
Is that the norm Down Under?
I have got a $30 lens and I would be jumping up and down already.
You guys are really good in picking those deals:idea::?

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 12:58 PM   #9

actually I was thinking about M28mm or A28mm. I read about them being excellent lenses. but I was thinking that 42mm is a bit narrow. if I can find one on ebay for reasonable price I'll get it. that's the biggest problem with small sensor, not many good wide lenses.

thanks for advice

greg
Old Nov 16, 2006, 2:20 PM   #10

robar wrote:
Quote:
greg,
you might like the smc M28mm f2.8. sharp as a knife and isn't that much $$$. they are on eekbay all the time. here's an uncropped example.
28mm with the crop factor is really not wide at all

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/a...t.php?id=56528

I have FA28mm which I think is the autofocus version. .

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote