Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 16, 2006, 11:19 AM   #1

This may have been featured previously, but Istumbled across this technique which produces interesting results particularly in shots that have perhaps been underexposed or lack detail in shaded areas.

It is described in full at: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tu..._masking.shtml

The technique is summarised thus:

1. On the Layers Palette highlight the background layer and then select Layer / Duplicate Layer
2. De saturate to black & white using Adjust/Levels/De saturate
3. Invert image using Adjust/Levels/Invert
4. Select Overlay on the Contrast Mask layer & adjust the Opacity to suit
5. Apply approximately 40% Gaussian Blurr to the Contrast Layer
6. Merge layers and adjust, Image Levels, Shadows & Highlights & USM to desired amount.
Attached Images

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 16, 2006, 12:24 PM   #2

Thanks, easy and creative :-)

Keep on teaching/sharing, JR

Reps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 12:26 PM   #3

I think you left out an important step. You have to switch from Normal to Overlay in the Layers palette. I looked up the tutorial you linked and he has you open the Layers Options box. I just do it from the drop down menu in the regular layers palette if I don't already have other layers.

I used the technique a lot before CS came out with Shadow/Highlight. I still use it sometimes in conjunction with a little Shadow/Highlight, but it isn't an everyday tool like it was with PS7 and earlier.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 12:42 PM   #4

slipe wrote:
Quote:
I think you left out an important step. You have to switch from Normal to Overlay in the Layers palette.
You're right - just as well I posted the link with a full description.

slipe wrote:
Quote:
I used the technique a lot before CS came out with Shadow/Highlight. I still use it sometimes in conjunction with a little Shadow/Highlight, but it isn't an everyday tool like it was with PS7 and earlier.
You could be right again. I use Shadow/Highlights a lot but it didn't pull out the detail quite so well with this shot as this technique does - not perhaps an everyday tool, but useful in some instances.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2006, 1:18 PM   #5

If you use contrast masking often you will eventually run into halos with strong sky contrast. Sometimes it will make something stand out but at other times it can be a nuisance.

This is an example I happened to already have online. The light edge along the horizon and the halo around the flags is caused by contrast masking. It is a result of blurring the mask.

Edit: I notice you got a very strong halo around one of the rock outcroppings on your example. My example obviously has a larger amount of gaussian blur that extends the halo. I would have to clone yours out to be happy with it.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote