Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 17, 2006, 1:10 PM   #1
TDN

I'm able to get one in K-mount for 25$, not the M42 one.

I don't really need one, but I figured it might be fun to have. Any experience with one of those old metal monsters?
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 17, 2006, 2:27 PM   #2

If you mean Pentax 400mm, there are two in 35mm, one a FA* 5.6 and the other a M 5.6, both of which are OK, but not great lenses. For a price of $25 I don't see how you can go wrong no matter how sharp it is.

I have used the FA* and I didn't like it enough to pay the price they go for, since my FA* 300mm looked sharper to me.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 6:03 PM   #3
TDN

No it's actually Pentor, must be some older 3rd party manufacturer. Can't find much on the net.

I think it's this one, a manual one, hopefully aperture coupled. (not an "A", but so that I cna use the AE-L button)

Not sure yet what I'll do. I might pick it up...I might not
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 6:19 PM   #4

Like Tom said, for $25, you can't go wrong. If you don't like it...Ebay! Might even make a couple of dollars (or euros) on the deal.

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2006, 7:09 PM   #5

TDN wrote:
Quote:
No it's actually Pentor, must be some older 3rd party manufacturer. Can't find much on the net.

I think it's this one, a manual one, hopefully aperture coupled. (not an "A", but so that I cna use the AE-L button)

Not sure yet what I'll do. I might pick it up...I might not
There were a whole lot of lenses like that in the 60s and 70s. At least what I can see from looking at the picture it seems to be like one of those many 400mmF 6.3 T-Mount lenses. They are preset lenses. I had the Spiratone 400 version. They were sold under many different names. Do a Google search for Spiratone 400mm - I bet that is almost the same lens. I sold mine for about 50 bucks without adapter.

Edited for typo
HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 3:54 AM   #6

I've got a Mitakon 400 mm f6.3, like this Pentor. I'm not sure it's worth 25 USD, not very sharp and a lot of CA. Only reason I haven't sold it is that I don't expect to get paid enough even for the effort to got to the post office to send it. And I don't want to cheat anyone to pay more than it's worth.

Kjell
bilybianca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2006, 6:00 AM   #7

bilybianca wrote:
Quote:
I've got a Mitakon 400 mm f6.3, like this Pentor. I'm not sure it's worth 25 USD, not very sharp and a lot of CA. Only reason I haven't sold it is that I don't expect to get paid enough even for the effort to got to the post office to send it. And I don't want to cheat anyone to pay more than it's worth.

Kjell
You have got to remember, that although you don't think much of the lens, someone may well enjoy it as a cheap way to try out 400mm lens.

I am currently looking at several on ebay. I know they will not be perfect, but I can try them and if I like the extra reach I can then invest a few hundred £s on a decent example.

I did this with a 70-300mm lens. Got a cheap one from a camera shop for under £30 - manual focus - and then bought the Sigma 75-300mm with autofocus.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote