Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 19, 2006, 2:56 AM   #1

I asked this question in memory section but not many people go there so I'm asking here as well.
I've been using card reader for a while now and I was able to delete and copy images from and to the card without any problems, right now when I try to delete them in card reader windows tells me that card is protected (obviously it isn't) can't format in reader. I tried 4 different SD cards, same problem. it's not an external reader. I have a module which displays processor temperature and fan speeds, it's mounted in CD drive bay in my PC. card reader integrated in this thing is connected to USB port inside the case. I'm not sure when it happened first time but I'm pretty sure I never had to install any drivers for this.

any ideas??

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2006, 3:11 AM   #2

greg,
can you d/l directly from the camera??
if so, then i'd think it's the reader

roy
Old Nov 19, 2006, 3:53 AM   #3

downloading from card reader is no problem, it works. I just can't delete, copy to and format card in the reader. it says disk protected, but it isn't.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 4:22 AM   #4

If I was you I would goto Device Manager, uninstall the card reader and then reboot.
It should then say something like 'new device found' after the restart.
If possible, let windows automatically install the drivers. If that doesn't work you'll need to find the drivers (on a cd that came with the PC maybe?)
You could also look up your module on google and see if there are any new drivers available to download.

If you can't find the drivers after you've already uninstalled it then you can always do a System Restore to get back to where you were before.

Actually, before I would do anything, I'd look for new drivers online and try those.
If that doesn't help, do the uninstall thing above.
nadnerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 4:30 AM   #5

Maybe being obvious here, but the little write ptotect tab on the card isn't being moved as you insert the card is it?

Have you tried doing the same in the camera, formating etc., or linking the camera up to the computer.

After exhausting all these possibilites, it will almost certainly be the card reader.

Darren
Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 5:02 AM   #6

problem solved:

nadnerb: tried all of that, nothing helped. there are no drivers for this thing for Windows XP, it works as USB card reader. removig it phisycally from computer didn't help.

dal1970: that was the firs thing I checked, this lock thing on the card.

solution was a bit more complicated: this module has 3 AA batteries inside which are there to provide power when PC is shut down so the module remembers it's setup , ie: how many fans and temp sensors are connected ( I found out about this using google). so I tried removing them and putting again and it works now. I'd never think about that, I tried everything before that: removing usb drivers, switching usb port it's connected to. but it works now.

greg
Old Nov 19, 2006, 5:08 AM   #7

Glad you found the solution - never would have thought of the module having batteries.

Thank god for google!

Darren

Dal1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 6:33 AM   #8

On a different topic but still card reader related, I couldn't get my card reader to read a 2G SD Card that I recently bought.

It is a Kingston Ultra which reads fine with the Kingston TravelLite Card Reader that I also bought.

Eventually updated the Multi Card Reader to a Belkin which works fine.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote