Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Dec 19, 2006, 8:27 AM   #51

Quote:
Kjell is probably right - the film camera might come in handy at some time if you want to shoot film in the future. If your 50mm is a 1.4 or a 1.7, it would bring more on its own than sold as part of the camera. Out of curiosity, why are you selling the 50mm? I'm going to be selling an M 50mm 1.4 (if I ever get my act together) but only because I'm keeping my M 50mm 1.7 and I really don't need both lenses. I use one or the other of them quite often now. Oh, and I am eating my words posted earlier in this thread. I kept saying I wasn't going to upgrade to the K10, but I did. And the more I use it, the more I like it.
Sorry to take so long getting back. The 50mm I am looking at selling with the Super Program is a 1.7. It's also the auto-F setting version (for the Super Program and later). The 28mm is a 2.8, but I think I will hold off on that one (reasons stated earlier). I never use the 50mm, I mostly use the 28 - 80 PZ lens with my PZ-1. One of the reasons it was important for any newer model to have that feature.
rad_ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2006, 10:40 PM   #52

Pentax has been taken over by Hoya. I don't think anyone at this time, knows what the future for Pentax will be.

I plan to buy a DSLR in the spring of '07, so I will watching developments closely.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 2:34 PM   #53

Let me first say that I love my k100d. I just bought it 5 months ago and it has been a dream come to. It has definitely met my needs as a growing photographer and it has taught me a great deal. However, with my recent experiences in birding photography I have found a limitation with the k100d. I had a chance recently to play with my friends nikon d80 and 70-300 VR lens with hypersonic motor. Lenses with hypersonic/ultrasonic motors rock! So fast and quiet. It makes a big difference when it comes to action photography because it allows you to get focussed faster! If you are taking a portrait, landscape or any photography of a relatively still subject, it doesn't really matter. But when it comes to flying birds, having a faster lens motor means more keeper shots.

The exciting thing about the K10D is that it will be the first pentax dsrl camera body that will have SSM (supersonic motor) technology (equivalent to canon's USM and nikon's HSM). Many of the upcoming lenses that are slated to be due in 2007 for pentax will be incorporating this technology. I definitely want the ability to utlize these supersonic motor lenses for my birding photography.

Right now I'm fine with 6 megapixels and shake reduction. It works well with my sigma 70-300 apo dg lens. I've been getting great results. But before I continue to invest in more expensive lenses with a longer focal length or bigger apeture, I will plan my future purchases around the k10d and upcoming line of pentax SSM lenses.

Hopefully I when it comes time to buy the k10d, I can offset some of the cost by selling my k100d on ebay for a fair price. It's a great camera and I think that it will hold it's value well.

So that's basically my reason for upgrading to the k10d. I read through the other responses and I was surprised that no one else mentioned that feature.

royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2006, 5:28 PM   #54

Hey, I just got my K10D (partial xmas gift). I have been trying it out, mostly with my old lenses (i.e. - non-digital). I am impressed with the built in filtering, amoung other things. This is my first experience with that technology. The pocket digitals that I have used up to now do not have that feature. I also like the selection of options that allow you a lot of control over how the camera will take the picture - from all auto to partial anything.

I will agree with earlier comments, this is a Large unit. I have a PZ-1 and I thought it was big, but this one is even a little larger. While this is not a concern for me, it might be for others.

I think the Digital world might give me a little more freedom to experiment with photography. I was always concerned with wasting film before, now that particular issue has disappeared.

I am so far really happy with the choice, I think this particular camera will serve my needs (semi-amateur/professional though they may be) for many years to come. Having said that, I am still keeping my PZ-1 analogue as back up! lol Sad day too, I plan to give up my very first SLR (a Super Program), but I just don't need three cameras (ok, everyone is allowed to laugh now).

Just got my first "digital" lenses today. Not too sure what the dif is between those and their predecessors, but looking forward to finding out. Man, with the $ of SD memory cards going down, you can afford to grab a couple and shoot to your hearts content.

My thoughts, not yours,

Rob Drickl
rad_ent is offline   Reply With Quote