Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 19, 2006, 2:31 PM   #1

I noticed I have some dust in my viewfinder when I look through it. The best way is with no lens on, you can see quite a few dust particles. I have taken out my prism and cleaned it, but this did not seem to do any good. Has anyone had this problem and found a way to clean it? I have a micro-tool CCD cleaning kit, but I'm not sure how this would work on the viewfinder and prism. At this point I'm not sure where the dust is at, as I am afraid to take it all apart. The good part is it doesn't affect the pictures, it's just an annoyance. I guess what I am asking is how hard is it to take apart the viewfinder system?- Bruce

Last Summer I was taking a picture of a flower and as I was focusing, I noticed a small insect crawling across the view finder. I thought it must be on the flower, so I aimed the camera at the sky and the bug was still there doing the jig. I took the picture and never saw it again nor could I find it during cleaning. Talk about something freaking you out.
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2006, 2:52 PM   #2

bper wrote:
Quote:
I noticed I have some dust in my viewfinder when I look through it. The best way is with no lens on, you can see quite a few dust particles. I have taken out my prism and cleaned it, but this did not seem to do any good. Has anyone had this problem and found a way to clean it? I have a micro-tool CCD cleaning kit, but I'm not sure how this would work on the viewfinder and prism. At this point I'm not sure where the dust is at, as I am afraid to take it all apart. The good part is it doesn't affect the pictures, it's just an annoyance. I guess what I am asking is how hard is it to take apart the viewfinder system?- Bruce
If it is DL2 or DL or any D , it would be easy to clear that

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...en+replacement

It you have K100D and you have found a way to do that , let me know.

If you have K10D you can brag.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2006, 7:02 PM   #3

Thanks Daniel - Here's what I did. I took the focusing screen out, a fairly easy operation, but you need to be careful with it so as not to scratch it. If you look at the picture in Daniels link, you can see the metal tab you need to trip to get it to unlatch. The screenis made of plastic andI only grab it with the tab that sticks out. Just to verify, the tab should be on the right hand side as you pull the screen out with the viewfinder on top. Please correct me if this is not right. Also, one thing that might help is put a peck padaround the mirror, so the metal holder does not come down and scratch it.

For many years I worked for a company that did speedometer repair and they had plastic covers over them that got static in them and would even make the needle of the speedo hang up and not go back to zero. I remember the repairman had a little spray bottle of secret stuff. It was just dish soap and water. It would take the static out with a quick spray on the plastic. You could have one with the needle stuck on 50 and give one spray on the plastic lens and the needle would drop back to zero, amazing. I also learned the worst thing you can do is rub a plastic lens with a dry cloth. You can almost watch the voltage build.

I tried brushing this dust off with my lens pen brush and I had more when I got done then when I started. I tried blowing and it would come back just like i hadfly paper. As the little girl says on TV about the Samsung HD commercial, "its the mirrors", only in this case, "it the static". Remembering my old speedometer days, here's what I did and it worked perfect.

I first set out a square peck pad folded in half, so I would have some place clean and lint free to put the screen while I finished washing and could then dry my hands and get ready to re-install the screen.

I held the screen by its edges and dipped and swirled it in a coffee cup with warm water and a squirt of dish soap. I then rinsed it with warm clear water and put it under the peck pad while I dried my hands. If your water is hard, you might want to rise with distilled water.

I then blew it off with my footblower holding it again by its edges.Gripping the screen by the small tab with some tweezers, Idropped it in place. I used a wooden toothpick to position,close and lock the assembly. It's like viewing through a new static free screen again. Maybe this will help someone. I think this is an operation you need to learn how to do along with cleaning your sensor - Bruce

BTW - I have a Pentax DL. This may be similiar on other models, but I'm not sure.
bper is offline   Reply With Quote