Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 20, 2006, 8:58 PM   #11

gadgetnut wrote:
Quote:
oreo57 wrote:
Quote:
From where?
Cloud nine, probably. :G
National Camera Exchange in Maple Grove just West of Minneapolis!

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 11:17 PM   #12

Been there yet to pick it up? (Not that I care, I'm not the least interested to hear about it8))

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 11:51 PM   #13

Yes, it is very nice, but it is very dark outside, so any photos will have to wait until tomorrow, although I did use an inverter to charge that battery in the car on the drive home. Took about 1.5 hours for a full charge.

It is very obvious that it has more resolution than my DS when you blow up the image in CS2, but other observations will have to wait until tomorrow. It looks to me like this camera will require much better glass to get the most out of it, and lenses like the kit lens will not be as easy to get good results from as it was with the lower resolution Pentax DSLR's.

It is about the size and weight as my MZ-S and I have not taken any photos with
SR on, but then I have only taken 2, just to see if it works.

Tom
Old Nov 21, 2006, 8:44 AM   #14

ennacac wrote:
Quote:
It looks to me like this camera will require much better glass to get the most out of it...........

Tom
Looks like I will have a lot of lens testing to do when I get mine. I wonder how all these old macro lenses I haveaccumulated will do...
HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 9:33 AM   #15

HogRider wrote:
Quote:
ennacac wrote:
Quote:
It looks to me like this camera will require much better glass to get the most out of it...........

Tom
Looks like I will have a lot of lens testing to do when I get mine. I wonder how all these old macro lenses I haveaccumulated will do...
will,
i'll bet they will do fine for what they were designed to do.

roy
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:11 AM   #16

Thanks for the initial insights, and I'm looking forward to your first pictures. Your comment about needing better glass is very interesting - is it that the extra mp show up faults because there's so much more there to look at? The longer I play with the A*300, the more I realize the difference a good lens can make even with the 6 mp cameras - a 100% crop with that lens looks better than a 100% crop with the DA 50-200. My hubby will NOT like that comment - I talked him into the K100D because I wanted a 300mm lens. Now if he gets me the K10D for Christmas, I'll want the *60-250 lens. Maybe I should wait.

So how's the picture taking going?
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:22 AM   #17

mtngal wrote:
Quote:
My hubby will NOT like that comment - I talked him into the K100D because I wanted a 300mm lens. Now if he gets me the K10D for Christmas, I'll want the *60-250 lens.
You do realise there is a FA* 250-600/5.6 ED [IF] lens, don't you? Does he?:-)

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:57 AM   #18

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

Tom, my reaction: :shock::shock::shock::shock:, coupled with..I want one too!! Looks like Santa came early to your house! Looking forward to seeing pictures from it. Enjoy! Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 12:26 PM   #19

Kjell - I took a look at that lens on the Pentax website. While it's certainly an impressive lens, it doesn't look very practical for me to hike/handhold. While you, Tom and Scott seem to be able to handhold longer than 300mm lens/combinations, I don't think I can.

I think that the *60-250 would be a lovely replacement for the DA 50-200 that I use all the time but am not that crazy about, assuming that it will have the same quality as the 300.

I can't wait to see Tom's offerings, especially if he managed to catch a couple of birds with the K10D.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 3:52 PM   #20

No birds, but this working thing really cuts into my shooting time and I only have about half an hour of light when I get done. At least you can compare this shot with others of the same subject shot with the DS!

K10D with 28-80 zoom, no SR!

Tom