Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 20, 2006, 12:23 PM   #1

I may be the only one here that uses SilkyPix as a raw converter, but thought I would pass this along for anyone interested. As you mayknow they came out with version 3.0 earlier this month andas of todayhave made a free version available that has more limited features.

I did notice they do not list the K10D yet as one of the cameras they support, hopefully soon. One thing I noticed on the new interface is they have used some of the same logo's we see on the Pentax camera, which shows they mayhave been working closely with Pentax. I like SilkyPix and thought I would pass this along. The new version seems to take more resources on my computer, but I have not really spent any timewith it yet- Bruce
bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2006, 5:39 PM   #2

Thanks for the info. I had just downloaded Silky Pix full trial version 2 days ago and there was nothing about the free version on thesite yet. Downloading now as I type this!
HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 5:42 PM   #3

bper wrote:
Quote:
I did notice they do not list the K10D yet as one of the cameras they support, hopefully soon.....
Just wanted to mention that the oldSilkypix 2.0 version opened that DNG file from the K10D, which was posted at DPreview 2 days ago, just fine.
Old Nov 20, 2006, 7:42 PM   #4

The one thing I did notice is the free version no longer saves to tiff, only jpeg. This may be a reason to worry as I always saved to tiff and then did my final save as a jpeg after I cropped and sharpened. Might as well just shoot in jpeg and go from there. We'll see how it works. Thefull program is $135 if my currency calculator is right on 16000 yen- Bruce
Old Nov 21, 2006, 9:09 AM   #5

I was messing with it all evening yesterday and as you said - it doesn't save as TIFF anymore unlike Silky Pix (freeware version 2). Icould live with all the other restrictions, but that one is a major bummer. I too save everything as 16 but Tiff and then after I touch them up inPSPor whatever, save them as JPG for web posting. Nice program otherwise, but useless for me now.

If the old Silkypix version can open those K10D files I will gladly stick with it.

I wishAdobe World Domination wouldn't have stut down Rawshooter,

BTW - has anybody here tried "Bibble Labs" Raw converter?

Old Nov 21, 2006, 10:07 AM   #6

Just out of curiosity, does the K10D ship with the PPL version 3, or has does it have a different Pentax converter with it?

I amtrying out PPL version 3 with my DL. It is an update download on the Pentax website for the v2.1 version.It has the Silkypix engine in it, but so far3 of the 6 panels will not open. I'm not sure whats wrong, because they worked in v2.1. The ones that don't open are the Other Settings, Noise Reduction and the Lens Aberration panels. Anyone have any experience with this, let me know, otherwise I'm going to write Pentax.

Maybe I should read the manual first, itis also a PDF download on the website- Bruce
Old Nov 21, 2006, 10:27 AM   #7

Did you check all the little checkmarks and set it to Custom Processing? BTW - Do NOT click arrange Windows after you have the settings the way you want - It will drive you nuts

Old Nov 21, 2006, 10:59 AM   #8

Yep, that was it. It's in the view menu and what was happening is some of the panels were way off to the left side and you could just barely see them. I clicked on there upper edge, then held my mouse down and dragged them over. What you said was right "arrange windows" messes everything up again. I think I need to try a higher screen resolution to get all the panels on at the same time or only check the ones Ineed to use - Bruce
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:23 AM   #9

The conversions I get from this Pentax Software are great. Unfortunately the Interface is the worst of any software I have ever seen (really). It might work well if you have a 2500pixel wide screen monitor to work with.

Whoever designed that GUI should be.......!
Old Nov 21, 2006, 5:24 PM   #10

HogRider wrote:
Quote:
The conversions I get from this Pentax Software are great. Unfortunately the Interface is the worst of any software I have ever seen (really). It might work well if you have a 2500pixel wide screen monitor to work with.

Whoever designed that GUI should be.......!
I generally agree, though I've learned to live with the interface. It does beg for two monitors, though.

The raw conversion is much better than what I was getting from ACR. I only use PSE3 now if I have to do some extensive cloning or other resizing work. I never can figure out the cropping/resizing tool in PPL3. I can either crop, or I can resize, but I can't reliably do both.

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote