Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 21, 2006, 5:17 PM   #21

I've had great luck with NiMH and Pentax dSLRs. My old DL routinely went over 500 shots on my older NiMH batteries (2400mAh). My K100D gets over 600 shots on some Sanyo 2500mAh batteries (not eneloops). I shoot at least once a week so the batteries don't sit around too much. I'm sure that helps.

Lithium batteries (disposables) last forever, well over 1000 shots. Rechargeable CRV3's aren't recommended in the K100D (and probably the others) as I've read that the voltage is a little too high and can cause damage.

Since I haven't had problems I don't have a suggestion. However, I've read where other people use the smart chargers that actually cycle your batteries to keep them fresh/maxed out. Also, the Sanyo eneloops are praised by many as holding their charge longer than other NiMH's, though the capacity is only 2000mAh.

Hope this helps.

Russ
rfortson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 8:01 PM   #22

It's all about a major design fault made by Pentax, which I found it long time ago back to 2004, see:-

http://www.epinions.com/content_221813968516

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh

philmon wrote:
Quote:
What are peoples' experiences with using NiMH rechargables in the *ist DL cameras?

They worked great in my Olympus C-720, but it seems to be hit and miss with my *ist DL. I'll put what's supposedly a freshly charged set of batteries in, and it'll show low battery (half an icon) right off the bat and sometimes not last 5 shots. Other times I can shoot all day on a set.

I've read that NiMH's lose charge sitting idle -- but it didn't seem to be an issue with my other camera.

I was using one of those 1 hour chargers and I thought maybe that might be an issue, so I went out and got one of those smart chargers that do the 90%-10% charging and use the delta-V and temperature sensors to control how fast a charge it gets. You can even cycle batteries in it -- which I have done.

Anyway, do people want to share their experiences about this? Success stories, failures -- what works, what doesn't... are 2200 maH not good enough? Are 1800 out of the question? I've even had this problem with 2500 maH ones.

Different brands?

Discuss :G
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 8:33 PM   #23

I have had nothing but miserable experiences using NiMh batteries, and I switched to Energizer lithium AAs, which worked great! Then I heard about the Sanyo Eneloops and I decided to give them a try. What a difference! Go to the Batteries forum to read more, but I just can't say enough good things about them. I keep a set of lithiums as backup now, but I haven't had to use them.
dperreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 3:02 AM   #24

Hiya

I'm using GP 2700Mah. have 2 sets. The charger I have is very slow - specially on the first charge - hour per 100Mah. But charges thereafter does not take that long. I usually leave them overnight and they are fully charged.

I did some shooting about 4 weeks back - close to 500 shots, with a lot of review on camera and downloading to my latop. Have been using the same set of batteries since then - about 300 or so photos plus onboard flash use. The indicator only showed empty this weekend and only noticed as it was slow with flash recharge.

When using the flasking or view pic on cam, the batt indicator might show half full. But when back in shooting, it showed full for about 2 weeks.

So I can say I'm getting a great result from the GP2700Mah (with DL)
Heffalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 4:22 AM   #25

I didn't say these batteries were full, I said DL2 idicated they were full. they've been lying in the camera fo about 2 weeks, maybe thay just rubbish at keeping power. the trouble with buying good batteries is that you can't get Maha chargers in any shop in England, you have to order them online from States, same goes for batteries. the only chargers you can get in 2 major photo retailers are either their brand or some energizer on Unicross, same goes for high street shops and supermarkets.

greg
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 4:50 AM   #26

gfurm wrote:
Quote:
I didn't say these batteries were full, I said DL2 idicated they were full. they've been lying in the camera fo about 2 weeks, maybe thay just rubbish at keeping power. the trouble with buying good batteries is that you can't get Maha chargers in any shop in England, you have to order them online from States, same goes for batteries. the only chargers you can get in 2 major photo retailers are either their brand or some energizer on Unicross, same goes for high street shops and supermarkets.

greg
I think you'll find that most (but far from all) experts say that two weeks of non-use for NiMH batteries causes a loss of about 50-70% of their power.

What I would do to check is shove in some Energizer lithium non-rechargeables. These should last, depending on flash and review use, from 750 to maybe 1,200 shots. If they don't, it's a camera problem. If they do, it's a NiMH problem. I have two D bodies and when I find the NiMH not lasting a reasonable length of time, I check with a fresh charge. I then go on to the Energizers if the fresh charge gives no help. I find the NiMH last from three to four years, with one set of Sanyo batteries now past four years. None have made it to five years.
Charlie Self is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 7:20 AM   #27

When I first got my DS2, I bought three sets of Nimh energizers. Sometimes the battery indicator would show 1/2 charge within a day, sometimes a week, sometimes after 400 shots.

I bought a battery tester from the Source (Nexxus model 2210100) and discovered I had a bad battery in two of the sets. They went from 1.4V to 1.0V while the others in the set stabilized at 1.2V.

So I bought 2 new batteries and all seems well.

Rich
Pastor Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 8:51 AM   #28

Glad to hear I'm not alone - same problem here. I have two sets of Powerex 2500 mAH batteries for my DS2, with a Maha C204F charger.They've served me well for about a year, but recently I've had problems like many other posters, where I charge the batteries, they sit for perhaps a week, then give very little life. If I use them fresh out of the charger, I get hundreds of shots. Maybe it's just their age. I checked each battery (like Pastor Rich), but all seem to check out o.k., with no obvious bad cells. I deal with it by making sure they're freshly charged before shooting, and I just got a Maha C401FS, which smart-charges each battery separately, so maybe that'll help.

Thanks to all for sharing your work-arounds!

Dan
dan-mx-ds2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:19 AM   #29

I'm currently using Lenmar 2500mAh batteries in my DL and they generally last for a long time, although they do (like all) lose a lot of power if they sit for more than a few days. I don't think the power meter in the DL is reliable but I don't think that means that it's using them quickly.

I got a 20-pack of them a year or two ago from buy.com for $21 shipped - too good of a deal to pass up. (The same 20-pack is about $40 now!) The best deals buy.com has are a 20-pak of SunPak 2650mA and a 20-pack of Ultralast 2000mAh ones, both for about $26.

I do have a Maha C204F charger but I don't use it as often as I should, partly because it's relatively slow (3hr) but mainly because it only charges in pairs and I'm not sure how well it deals with two batteries that are unevenly drained. I usually use a one-hour Rayovac charger - probably not ideal but does each battery individually.

Supposedly there's no need to "drain" NiMH batteries like you do with some other rechargables. I'm not sure if all the extra "conditioning" steps that some fancier chargers do are making much real-world difference.

Damfino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 1:16 PM   #30

Pastor Rich wrote:
Quote:
I bought a battery tester from the Source (Nexxus model 2210100) and discovered I had a bad battery in two of the sets. They went from 1.4V to 1.0V while the others in the set stabilized at 1.2V
Thanks to Pastor Richfor pointing this out;so obvious - but too often overlooked. It only takes one cell to 'die' to render the set next to useless.

I've used a multimeter set to 10A & just 'shorted' out the battery with leads relying on internal resistance to limit the current.

If the meter reads in excess of 5A then the cell is generally OK. If the current rapidly falls off, then it's a sign that battery is U/S.

DON'T LEAVE THE BATTERY SHORTED FOR MORE THAN ASECOND OR TWO.

A battery tester is a better way to go.

Footnote: There's no need to discharge NiHi batteries to recharge them - in fact it would probably do more harm than good.
Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote