Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 26, 2006, 7:33 AM   #31

On the subject of NiMH batteries and their use and abuse, as it were, they are very hard to damage intentionally, because they have no memory effect, and don't mind being recharged even if still half-full. When they are worn out, it happens pretty quickly, but it takes a long, long time and many cycles to degrade them to uselessness. If you can get 400-500 charges out of a high quality set, any good brand rated @ 2500Mah or higher, ...then you're doing great.

When I first got my *istDS in Feb. 2005, I used Powerizer 2300's, that had been popular and accepted by lots of shooters; but I've discovered in the last couple of months the new DuraCell 2650's, and 2500's, and EverReady 2500's, that I read some of you are also using, and they are robust, long-lasting cells that can last at least 300-400 shots, 1/2 with flash, or more than 500 shots with minimal/manual camera settings and daytime shooting without flash. The "battery indicator" in the DS is somewhat keltchy, and shows charge right up to the time that the cells are exhausted, so it's not progressive in nature. More off/on, good/gone type of battery metering...not really helpful when you need it. Pentax could have designed in a better battery indicator system, but alas, life is full of imperfections as are DSLR's.

What I did notice about the Powerizer brand is that the cells degraded quickly after a couple of months of heavy use; some of my 4 sets became pretty unstable and actually when I used a tester on them after a full charge, found 3 weak cells, and one that had expired, surprisingly. This after only some 4-5 months of heavy use, using a MaHa charger and everything, surprised me. So I cached the bad cells, and ended up with 3 sets of 4 that all still took charge, but were not up to the performance I was used to earlier in the year. So I relegated those to household use in appliances, calculators, scales, and the like.

Well, my wife works at Target, and although I've had a LOT of experience with NiMH cells in professional radio controlled car/truck racing, I'd never really gotten into the science of the AA NiMH cells because I simply used throwaways (not so environmentally smart, but it's what all racers I know of in the pro category use...we just don't have time to mess about with the AA cells in our transmitters, as it's enough to deal with the Sub-C's for he cars/trucks) for my Futaba transmitter battery packs. Since we get a 10% employee discount at Target, and another 10% on top of that for every $1000 we spend on the Target VISA, where you get a "20%-Off Day" and you can buy anything and everything during one business day at 20% off, I thought that scoring some AA NiMH cells there would be a good thing. Both price-wise and performance wise, it would turn out, that would be a great idea.

First, I discovered a righteous Energizer 15-Minute Fast Charger, with intelligent circuitry, for only $39 ($32 with our discount) with 4 AA NiMH 2500 Cells, and 2 AAA 950Mah NiMH cells, with a car kit. Hey, I thought who could go wrong there? And if it doesn't work well, they go back...but surprise, surprise, the charger is heavy-duty, and good working. Has a cooling fan, and individual sensors for each cell, so that they are charged correctly, and then after 15 minutes or so (for an average 2500 or 2650Mah 4-pack) the charger goes on 'peak' mode, and trickle charges the battery for another 5-10 minutes, depending on the cell's ability to take charge, and then the fan shuts off, and you're done. Those cells are full! Nice unit!

You can use the charger with any good 2500 or higher rated cells, but it IS picky about old cells...doesn't like the Powerizers, for instance, so I use the Maha charger on them anyway for the appliances etc. So with this cool charger that works like the dickens, I decided to try some of the commercial cells, name brands, from Target out. I found the 2500Mah DuraCells first off, and then bought some more EveryReady 2500's, so I had 3 packs for the *ist DS, dedicated for it, and it alone; and all 3 packs worked fanastic with the camera. I'm getting 500, 600 shots down...a week-end's worth of work at the track (I shoot NASCAR when I can), or 2-4 afternoons birding, so I'm happy as a clam about then.

These household name-brand cells are working out great, I thought to myself. So the next 20%-Off Day we get, I go over to the battery "Island" at Target, and they've got the DuraCell 2650's, so now I'm going for the throat with this AA NiMH battery situation, and I score 8 packs, which at less than $8 a pack is pretty cool. So these days I've relegated the original EverReady 2500Mah cells to our point and shoot Konica/Minolta S414 Dimage (a camera for history now, but a good one), along with one of the original packs of the 2500Mah DuraCell batteries, and the *ist DS is getting fed nothing but DuraCell 2650Mah AA cells. These are really incredible AA cells, and I'm completely pleased with their performance.

I'm gonna miss going through all this with the new K10D, if and when I get one, because right about now I've got the AA battery situation under control with my *ist DS. I highly recommend the DuraCell 2650Mah cells, which you can get at any normal retailer, Target, Long's Drugs, Battery City outlets, Wal-Mart (if you shop there), they all have these cells and they are excellent stuff. The key to getting the most out of your cells though is the charger, and charging itself, and in that regard for a hassle-free way of dealing with your NiMH AA's I swear by the EverReady 15-Minute Fast Charger, which really takes about 20-25 minutes to fully charge, and peak your cells. Works in the car too.

We took that charger with us on vacation to Aruba in August, by the way, and it proved itself there, as well. I took more than 2500 shots during our 10 days there, (back then I was still using the 2500Mah DuraCells and the EverReadys) and I'd carry a full charged extra pack, for safety, along with the pack in the camera, and never went to the well dry, so to speak, getting at least 400 shots per charge, with preview "on", and lots of auto-metering because after all, I was on vacation.

I still have the original CR-V3 Lithium set that came with the camera...I've never used them yet, so they wait for their day. I know this was long and rambling, but I'm new here and haven't got my feet wet yet, so sorry about the long post. But batteries are something I've had a lot of experience with racing, and otherwise, and I hope my recommendations help someone in the Forum here out.:-)

rexrzer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 12:23 PM   #32

gfurm wrote:
Quote:
I didn't say these batteries were full, I said DL2 idicated they were full. they've been lying in the camera fo about 2 weeks, maybe thay just rubbish at keeping power. the trouble with buying good batteries is that you can't get Maha chargers in any shop in England, you have to order them online from States, same goes for batteries. the only chargers you can get in 2 major photo retailers are either their brand or some energizer on Unicross, same goes for high street shops and supermarkets.
I've been using a Fameart charger which is the PC07 Fast charger which works brilliantly.

Many chargers will only handle pairs of batteries, but this model will work with any number from 1 to 4 batteries. It charges AA and AAA batteries using either NiMH or NiCd technology. Its mains adapter automatically switches between 110V-240V so that you can take it abroad. Top capacity 2300mAh batteries are fully charged in 64 minutes, while lower capacity batteries take even less time, and electronic charge control ensures you can top up batteries from any charge level without risk of overcharging.
Attached Images

Catbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2006, 12:24 PM   #33

gfurm wrote:
Quote:
I didn't say these batteries were full, I said DL2 idicated they were full. they've been lying in the camera fo about 2 weeks, maybe thay just rubbish at keeping power. the trouble with buying good batteries is that you can't get Maha chargers in any shop in England, you have to order them online from States, same goes for batteries. the only chargers you can get in 2 major photo retailers are either their brand or some energizer on Unicross, same goes for high street shops and supermarkets.
Fameart also do the PC70 which is an ultra fast AA/ AAA charger& supplied with 4 x 2500 Ni-Mh AA batteries whichcan be charged in under 2 hours

LED status display will glow red when the batteries are being charged. When charging is completed the LED will change to green and the batteries are then ready for use. Once the LED has changed to green, the charger switches to trickle mode to keep the batteries at full charge. Flashing red indicates cells are not suitable for charging ie. short circuit or wrong polarity.

It's available in the UK from http://www.devoncamera.co.uk
Attached Images

Old Nov 26, 2006, 12:30 PM   #34

Anyone brave enough to consider these:

FAMEART CRV3 Battery Charger complete with 1350 mAh battery
Specially designed to charge CRV3 Li-ion Batteries used in digital cameras.
- charges from AC mains & 12V DC
- Fully recharges one battery in 1-2 hours
- worldwide voltage input 110-240v AC
- use from mains or 12V cigarette lighter socket
- automatic cut off/ short circuit protection.
Attached Images