Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 21, 2006, 10:04 AM   #1

What are peoples' experiences with using NiMH rechargables in the *ist DL cameras?

They worked great in my Olympus C-720, but it seems to be hit and miss with my *ist DL. I'll put what's supposedly a freshly charged set of batteries in, and it'll show low battery (half an icon) right off the bat and sometimes not last 5 shots. Other times I can shoot all day on a set.

I've read that NiMH's lose charge sitting idle -- but it didn't seem to be an issue with my other camera.

I was using one of those 1 hour chargers and I thought maybe that might be an issue, so I went out and got one of those smart chargers that do the 90%-10% charging and use the delta-V and temperature sensors to control how fast a charge it gets. You can even cycle batteries in it -- which I have done.

Anyway, do people want to share their experiences about this? Success stories, failures -- what works, what doesn't... are 2200 maH not good enough? Are 1800 out of the question? I've even had this problem with 2500 maH ones.

Different brands?

Discuss :G
philmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 21, 2006, 10:15 AM   #2

Yes NimH batteries lose charge from sitting around. I had a couple of bad experiences with that and learned the hard way. I now have the routine to put the Batteries on the charger the night before I go shooting somewhere (no matter if full or not) and it has worked for me. And I always carry a set of CV R3s as backup. All my NimHs are 2200 or above.
HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 10:37 AM   #3

i've given up on the NmH Pentaxmystery.. they do some awful strange things in my DS.. i put an unused set of CRVs in last weekend and the cam said half full. go figure. i've given up trying to figure it out. it's definately a pentax fault.

roy
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:13 AM   #4

I've exactly the same confusing and disappointing experience with my*istDS. I put fresh batteries (2500 mAh) in the camera, shoot a little, next day they're discharged, according to the camera. Put them in a pocket torch and the bulbglows for hours. What reliable rechargable CRV3:s are there?

Kjell
bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:16 AM   #5

HogRider wrote:
Quote:
Yes NimH batteries lose charge from sitting around. I had a couple of bad experiences with that and learned the hard way. I now have the routine to put the Batteries on the charger the night before I go shooting somewhere (no matter if full or not) and it has worked for me. And I always carry a set of CV R3s as backup. All my NimHs are 2200 or above.
I agree with Hogrider. I have 6 sets ( 2 sets are for the flash)of 2500 or higher batterys and i Also Charge them Every time before i go shooting. Also like him I carry a spare set of CRV3 just incase i forget.
Luckily i have never Run out Of batterys With the DS and (KnockingOn Wood) never had a problem With my Battery indicator.
BTW With The DS I get 1100 Pictures with the CRV-3 and between 500-700 with the NiMH batterys
Black Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:28 AM   #6

I currently am using some Sanyo rechargeables that I got at Costco as a kit with charger (impulse buy). I am having good luck with them and they are rated at 2500 mah. Having said that, the best luck I have had was with some Everyready Lithium's that I got a package of 8 at Walmartbefore I got the camera. I still carry the second 4 as backups in case the others give out.

If I remember right the package of 8 was about $16 and the first 4 gave me about 700 shots, but I was messing around a lot, since the camera was new. I would highly recommend going this way as the Lithiums don't lose there charge when setting long periods or used in the cold and they are just a lot less hassle. It has also been reportedthey givefaster autofocus then theNI-MH type. I think they maintain a slightly higher voltage. Good luck with whatever you do- Bruce

As a footnote, I got my DL the first of March and took it out for the first time on a frosty morning. I had fully charged 1800 mah batteries I had been using in my Fuji and they wouldn't even turn the carmera on (to cold). That is when I put in the Lithiums I had bought as backups and no problems in the cold at all.

bper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 12:04 PM   #7

on my *ist dl i am using duracell nimh 2650mah rechargeables and theyhave performed no less thanspectacular for me. i did not have such a good experience with engergizer nimh 2200mah rechargeables which caused me to switch.

with the duracell 2650's i tend to charge a spare set just incase before itake the camera out, but have never had to use them as the ones in the camera last for a few hundred pictures easily before i start to worry that they are low on juice and pull them out to charge. the discharge from idle use doesn't seem too bad either as i have left batteries in the camera for a few weeks between outings and they still indicated a full charge. the other weekend i took my *ist dl to a concert and left my spares in the car by accidentand i figured i was out of luck since i would be using the flash. took 60 pictures most with the onboard flash on batteries that were probably two weeks since charged and had taken 100 or so pictures w/o flash before. no problems. would never had been able to do that with my energizers.

also i would suggest you make sure you have the latest firmware. i know it made a huge difference with my olympus with rechargeable batteries indicating empty when still having plenty of juice left.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 12:16 PM   #8

I've had pretty good luck with my Energizer and Powerex 2500 NiMH batteries in my DL. I typically will get ~700 shots on a set. I don't Auto-review, but do chimp a bit, and use some flash.

I carry Lithiums around for emergencys - and have left them in the camera now - I get close to 2000 shots on a set - nice not to ever have to worry about charging batterys - although not very ecological
ccallana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 12:32 PM   #9

Have the *ist DL. Also use the Duracell 2650 mah batteries and they have been great. Get atleast 300 plus shots per charge. Picked them up at Walmart of all place for about $10. Previously had Sony 2100 mah one that did not last nearly as long.

Also have my lcd review off after the shot.

Fred
Fred2726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2006, 12:33 PM   #10

The DS battery indicator will show full charge when there isn't much left in the batteries, so I pretty much ignore the indicator. The K100D seems to be more accurate, though I took probably 80 shots at the beach on Sunday and the battery indicator showed 1 bar the whole time (I had taken over a hundred the day before, and it had been over a week since the last time I charged them), and it never actually ran out.

As far as types of batteries - I use 2500 batteries, I have 3 sets of Sanyos (bought at Costco with the battery charger)and 1 set of Duracell (not the newer 2650). The Duracells don't hold a charge half as well as the Sanyos - when I use them for backup, they discharge almost as fast as the Sanyos I'm using in the camera. The Sanyos will discharge but it takes them a lot longer.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote