Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 22, 2006, 9:23 AM   #1
TDN

I'd like to buy an external flash, because I've been eager to start experimenting with studio lighting.
All I have now is a cheap starblitz (small external TTL flash), so I'd like a decent model...

What's the difference between the sigma EF500 DG ST and Super? The first is almost 100$ cheaper over here, and I know very little about flash, so I can't see any difference...

I would not like to buy a new one in a couple of years, this one is supposed to last me a while. So would the ST fit that or is the super that much better?

Thanks,

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:06 AM   #2
TDN

Just figured out that the ST has no slave function, and the super has.

As I'd like to be able to do studio work with the flash in the future, I guess I should make sure ther eis a slave function.

Ok 2nd question: anyone heard about soligor? They provide a flash for pentax with slave for the price of the sigma ST version. https://secure.soligor.com/index.php...s=6704&L=1
Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:14 AM   #3

Something to keep in mind: for K100D and K10D you need a pTTL flash. And I will let others open that can of worms: it aggravates me every time I get to it:-)
DigitalAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:29 AM   #4

DigitalAddict wrote:
Quote:
Something to keep in mind: for K100D and K10D you need a pTTL flash. And I will let others open that can of worms: it aggravates me every time I get to it:-)
I will stay with Pentax either AF360 or AF540. Sigma ST or Super are great flash or even better flash when it comes to bang for the buck. But they are almost like model specific as Sigma , while catering also for the sp design of Nikon & Canon, has to update for future Pentax camera. It is ok for DL, K100D. Nobody is sure if it works for K10D, or K?D or K645D......
I still have AF280T & AF360 of Pentax (20 & 8 yrs vintage). B&H still sells 280T at around $100 new . That tells you a lot.

Daniel
p.s. you are right on about opening a can of worm
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:18 AM   #5
TDN

yeah just found on some german forums that soligor appearantly claims to support PTTL, but does not have the actual technology. Basicly soligor flashes do not have real PTTL, according to a google search.

The Pentax flashes are simply too expensive for me. For the price of an AF540 I can get a new camera body or a marvellous lens.

I will be on the lookout for an EF500 Super for between 100 and 200$ on ebay...In the meanwhile I can try some DIY tricks on these old flashes I have laying around :-)
Old Nov 22, 2006, 11:34 AM   #6

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

I use a Super with my DL. Wireless does not work with the DL. But I like the Hi Speed Sync feature of the DG Super which the DG lacks. If you are not keen on the hi speed sync, the DG will work just fine.
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 12:03 PM   #7

I purchased and use the Sigma ST on my *istDL. I wanted to save the money the Super would have cost. Now I'm just starting to play with off camera flash (using some cheep wireless triggers and lots and lots of info from www.strobist.blogspot.com). The ST has limited manual settings: Full or 1/16. The Super would give me more manual settings. In retrospect, I should have bought the Super and be done with it. If you want to do studio work,you shouldexpect to work with the flash off the camera eventually - the Super would be abetter choice in the long run.

Just my 2 cents (1.65 cents US).

Marcel
Fusilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2006, 1:09 PM   #8

I totally agree with the two Marcel cents. (Have bought a DG and now I'm thinking I should not.) My two cents(0.026dollarcents)

You are gonna need that extra controll.

Richard.

Ritro is offline   Reply With Quote