Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 24, 2006, 2:09 AM   #11

> Guys, there is no point in telling ricehigh he is a measurbator, because he is proud of it! :lol:

But a measurbator can only manage to take s-u-c-king photos, according to the famous theory of Mr. Ken Rockwell. (If) So, I can take nothing at the end of the days, which can ever be regarded as a (good) photo! :-((

> on topic: no dust removal system is failsafe, although I'm 100% sure that if someone gets dust into a week old camera, he/she is not treating his/her material with enough care.

Yes, on topic is very important. Sometimes, I just wonder why a simple technical issue discussion would have become very personal, again.. (just seen one of the lengthy response above)

> But dust will eventually happen. And if it's not dust it'll be a small hair or a little dirt. The solution is called eclipse and like tom said, it only takes 5 minutes.
> TDN

In response to you and Tom's (similar) comments, as for the dust problem of DSLRs, the major issue is not how to clean the sensor *after* dust is found. The problem is how to prevent dust stuck on the sensor *before* the pictures are taken, so as to utlimately to prevent dust specks being appear in the final taken pictures, especially for smaller f-stops used.

Bear in mind that *all* dust removal and dust protection systems of DSLRs are designed with the aim to prevent dust specks appear in the pictures, i.e. the "before" case. Otherwise, these will be meaningless if pictures are spoiled by dust, already (the "after" case).

So, if you refer back to my opening post, the key point for discussion is about the *effectiveness* of the Pentax DR system and how effective it works. Of course, everything is relative on this planet, at the same period of time.

Actually, the same user in the provided Dpreview link has compared his new K10D against his Olympus DSLR which he has used for a long time. So, I don't think his case is something related to the "user error" for a new camera with a "new user", as his Oly don't exhibit such problem for long.

I have also a SensorSwap kit with me since I had my *ist D in 2004 and I do know how to clean my DSLR sensors and learnt the techniques required. My experience tells me that to roughly clean a sensor is quick and easy, but to make a *perfectly* cleaned sensor is very hard than most people would imagine, just shoot a blue sky with f/22 after the cleaning and you would know what I'm talking about (just in case if you guys disagree) :-)

RiceHigh

RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 3:58 AM   #12
TDN

RiceHigh wrote:
Quote:
So, if you refer back to my opening post, the key point for discussion is about the *effectiveness* of the Pentax DR system and how effective it works. Of course, everything is relative on this planet, at the same period of time.
Well, my point was that you can't judge that effectiveness in the short period the k10D has been out, unless you actually go and provoke dust, which is not exactly safe camera use.

With a DSLR without a dust prevention system, you will get first signs of dust after a couple of months with normal, careful use. Regardless of what system your camera is equipped with, one should always handle equipment with care.

So, if that happens with a normal DSLR after a couple of months, the effectiveness of a dust prevention system can only be shown after that period. If the results are the same, then you can conclude that the system is not effective enough.

Compare it with a lab and a field test. In a lab you will "simulate" a specific field situation, and you will probably choose the one which will be most interesting to you, i.e. the worst case scenario.
However, when you actually go to the field, you see that the conditions are completely random and not as "ideal" as in your lab.(ideal for gaining dust in our case, so actually the opposite of "ideal" )

So mostly the worst case scenario you simulated in the lab, will only happen very rarely in the field.

The same thing applies to camera test use and normal camera use.

TDN

TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 7:13 AM   #13

alec: he didn't get camera yet because he's using camera phone. and he won't get a camera because he has to ask his mum to buy him one, which he stated himself in this thread:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80
gfurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 8:12 AM   #14

Hi,

You know that if This was a Canon camera it would be an added feature (Dust or an oily smear). that is why you pay more for a Canon...:shock::lol:Iam not a fan of any particular brand. Igo with the one that gives me the results...:G

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 9:04 AM   #15

Quote:

alec: he didn't get camera yet because he's using camera phone. and he won't get a camera because he has to ask his mum to buy him one, which he stated himself in this thread:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80

Wrong, I am planning for the Nikon D80 or the Pentax K10D; I already have the money ready. However currently, my whole family ismoving toa new house that involves a lot of work and moving to do; so I have to delay my camera & lens etc...purchase.

If I decide touse my extra $1400 (combine with my current $1100), which was originally reserved for my new drum set, I would be able to get the Canon EOS 30D or get a Nikon D50 with a terrific glass.

So a camera is just a decision away; nothing so difficult at all as long as I have the money.

In future, I am also going to be a professional photographer; I'll probably be looking at the Canon EOS 5D or the Nikon D200 etc...And definitely look to "L" glasses if I go Canon.

The bottom line is; I have a bright future, and camera equipments will soon be PART of my livelihood. (I already planned to be a professional) Next year (And for 3.5 years), I'll be attending photography classes in a popular university. (I'll be going for a degree course as well) Exciting moments ahead.

Now the Nikon D80 & Pentax K10D looks sweet! (Time to SHOW OFF in college!)

I have been spending thousands on mobile phones. In future, I will pay great emphasis on camera(s) and lenses. (I would like to be a prime lens shooter)

When I am a stable adultin future, I can expect half of my belongings to be photographic equipments; or more. (Ican expect the future of camera[s] to be VERY interesting!)

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote