Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 23, 2006, 7:06 AM   #1

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/cda/re...1/22/5111.html

See the series of the boat photos for the ISO test. There is an obvious dust speck above the top left corner of the hotel building, in the blue sky. I was rather surprised yesterday when I first saw this.

And then, here is a new K10D user comments that his new K10D already has dust specks seen in his taken images even though he turns on the Dust Removal (DR) function, whereas his older Olympus DSLR have never had any dust problem even after extended use:-

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=20981883

In view of the above facts, I really doubt the effectiveness of the DR function of the K10D, although on paper it seems to be very strong.

RiceHigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2006, 8:19 AM   #2

Thank you for pointing this out. I am not going to buy the K10D now. I am going to sell all my Pentax gear and switch to Olympus instead.
HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 9:45 AM   #3

Quote:

See the series of the boat photos for the ISO test. There is an obvious dust speck above the top left corner of the hotel building, in the blue sky. I was rather surprised yesterday when I first saw this.

And then, here is a new K10D user comments that his new K10D already has dust specks seen in his taken images even though he turns on the Dust Removal (DR) function, whereas his older Olympus DSLR have never had any dust problem even after extended use:-

In view of the above facts, I really doubt the effectiveness of the DR function of the K10D, although on paper it seems to be very strong.

RiceHigh
http://www.geocities.com/ricehigh

Eh, isn't the I.C.C. profileof the C.C.C. channel meant to be compliances with the T.T.C. (2) board <||> The 36,000 V.R. to comply with R.S.S. (14) Hector channel to in the sector of C. module...Eh the A3 segmental of the A.O.S. (A.B.C.) to missB.I. ) S.I.N.* platform [---] to be deflected off missing plane `o` Nav point Alpha `Zeta [~(LyX*)~]` 3600 M.T.S. to R.G.B. channel narrow down to Cy*z(23uy*q - Croix*)* - 32*kHz*l(42*taq* - 89*x*TeX)* <--[O]--> cos//A^B U.T.L. photon 838 [+] tan || UBQ || ::: convention lay off 1/2 + 133k of 56% {ROUND} = 72pr*l(82icr* + 930hr*t - 22pr*k) + 247qw*k(668rw*u - 332iw*u + w*Tm) [[]] :+: L.A.M. 1000m/S.R.M. 350m = M.R.M. 500m.

Where is the H.S.T.T.C.??? :?

Tell me how to read the M.U.S.T.F.A.23A cc-dc!!:X

Where the h**k is the VVTI A.B.C.??? :roll:

Eh, how to hack the reesracericemyIhihigh Central processing unit??? :??:?

System wipe out detected, we must proceed to the sector ccccccccdtvdingdanghooten to log out...eeeeeeeeecvcheezecrash..........it must be a bbbblc-blc_black hole!!! :shock:Arccchieeeeee...eeee-ejecting-ejecting-ejectiiiiinnnnnggggg_______!!!

DUNG TUT BHEEEEEEEEHE...

Sneeze, so dusty mann!!!........________thanks for your reading time rice field, we are now back and safe again to Earth. :-)eh no; inMars...beside OLYMPUS MONS! :O

SNEEZE,I need apiece of"SSWF"!!!

__________________________________________________ __________________

BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 5:45 PM   #4

BenjaminXYZ wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

RiceHigh

Eh, isn't the I.C.C. profileof the C.C.C. channel meant to be compliances with the T.T.C. (2) board <||> The 36,000 V.R. to comply with R.S.S. (14) Hector channel to in the sector of C. module...Eh the A3 segmental of the A.O.S. (A.B.C.) to missB.I. ) S.I.N.* platform [---] to be deflected off missing plane `o` Nav point Alpha `Zeta [~(LyX*)~]` 3600 M.T.S. to R.G.B. channel narrow down to Cy*z(23uy*q - Croix*)* - 32*kHz*l(42*taq* - 89*x*TeX)* <--[O]--> cos//A^B U.T.L. photon 838 [+] tan || UBQ || ::: convention lay off 1/2 + 133k of 56% {ROUND} = 72pr*l(82icr* + 930hr*t - 22pr*k) + 247qw*k(668rw*u - 332iw*u + w*Tm) [[]] :+: L.A.M. 1000m/S.R.M. 350m = M.R.M. 500m.

Where is the H.S.T.T.C.??? :?

Tell me how to read the M.U.S.T.F.A.23A cc-dc!!:X

Where the h**k is the VVTI A.B.C.??? :roll:

Eh, how to hack the reesracericemyIhihigh Central processing unit??? :??:?

System wipe out detected, we must proceed to the sector ccccccccdtvdingdanghooten to log out...eeeeeeeeecvcheezecrash..........it must be a bbbblc-blc_black hole!!! :shock:Arccchieeeeee...eeee-ejecting-ejecting-ejectiiiiinnnnnggggg_______!!!

DUNG TUT BHEEEEEEEEHE...

Sneeze, so dusty mann!!!........________thanks for your reading time rice field, we are now back and safe again to Earth. :-)eh no; inMars...beside OLYMPUS MONS! :O

SNEEZE,I need apiece of"SSWF"!!!

__________________________________________________ __________________
Hello Ben

I see you're back on Steve's Forums, despite the request from us on the Nikon threads. Fair enough - it's a free world.

I can understand the comment you have quoted from a previous post - possibly a valid comment. But can you please translate into English your response? Thanks!

BTW - have you bought a camera yet?
alec w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 7:56 PM   #5

ricehigh get out
errno_gmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 8:22 PM   #6

errno_gmm wrote:
Quote:
ricehigh get out
Dust gets in(to) K10D = Me get out ??

What's the point of yours?

RiceHigh
RiceHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 8:48 PM   #7

RiceHigh wrote:
Quote:

RiceHigh
I have read, with interest, a number of RiceHigh's posts in the past, and also noted the replies to his posts, which for the most part I have agreed with (the replies, not RiceHigh's posts). I vowed not to respond, for in my profession I run into a number of similar people who seem to thrive and revel in pushing others buttons, making extreme statements and judgments based on selective information and bias. I have generally found that the only effective tool in dealing with people with this particular personality type is to ignore them.

I am breaking my own rule here, and wanted to respond. I went to the photos, and lo and behold, there IS a dust speck, just as you said! Horror of horrors! I could not enjoy the quality and composition of the photos because of that festering, pustulous blob that was indeed where you said it was, throbbing and reeking of putrescence! (Anyone remember the Monty Python restaurant sketch about the waiter who committed suicide because of a spot on a spoon?)

What REALLY concerns me is not the dust speck, as they are par for the course for DSLR users, (and in spite of what Pentax or any other makers blurbs say, these DR systems will not be foolproof - period. Sp**cks happens.) but the selective and misleading way you, RiceHigh represented and summarized the dpReview thread. I read the thread through carefully - the concerns, the replies, the suggestions, and learned much about dust specks, break in periods, - things that made a whole lot of sense, from people trying to be HELPFUL, not so nit-picking critical. I did not read of people ready to fall on their swords because of a dust speck, but helpful information from fellow photographers about a still developing technology, obviously with a ways to go. The whole tone of the thread was very different than the selective and "strain at a gnat and swallow a camel" representation from you. I live in a dry, dusty part of the world, and expect dust from time to time. I deal with it, and although I hope that Pentax's efforts at addressing this issue will help, I am realistic enough to understand that by nature and design of digital SLR's, these fuzzy bunnies will creep in from time to time, in spite of techonological efforts to deal with it. Duh.

There - I feel better now! You can respond, RiceHigh, about how you are misunderstood, are only trying to be helpful, about "did you really read what I said" or "you people can't handle the truth", or wth whatever scientific or "measurebations" data you want. You can complain about age demographics of who should own a Pentax, how Pentax engineers and public relations people are lying to us, or anything else you want, but for goodness sakes, don't you get the message by now? Your credibility in this forum, amongst a community of Pentax owners who wish to inform, share, and support one another, with one or two obvious exceptions, is nil.

No one wants to listen to you anymore, and that is a shame, (as you may have some valid points from time to time) but it is the truth. Please deal with it, as so many in this forum have attempted to help you understand, with no success. I fear I have wasted 10 minutes of my time trying to do the same, but what the heck?

Mark
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 10:25 PM   #8

Dust specks are a non issue and don't deserve a post that implies the K10D is inferior because one or two are visible in the photo mentioned.

I have had my DS for over a year and a half and have had to clean the sensor a total of four times (or was it three?), removing them took less than 5 minutes.

My shooting friends with a D200 and a 5D have also had to clean their sensors a few times too, so this is a DSLR issue, not a Pentax one.

The DR feature is interesting, but something they could have left off the camera so far as I am concerned, cool if it works, so what if it does not.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 10:38 PM   #9

Thanks for the Thankgiving smile You certainly didn't waste my time.

nznhut wrote:
Quote:
RiceHigh wrote:
Quote:

RiceHigh
I have read, with interest, a number of RiceHigh's posts in the past, and also noted the replies to his posts, which for the most part I have agreed with (the replies, not RiceHigh's posts). I vowed not to respond, for in my profession I run into a number of similar people who seem to thrive and revel in pushing others buttons, making extreme statements and judgments based on selective information and bias. I have generally found that the only effective tool in dealing with people with this particular personality type is to ignore them.

I am breaking my own rule here, and wanted to respond. I went to the photos, and lo and behold, there IS a dust speck, just as you said! Horror of horrors! I could not enjoy the quality and composition of the photos because of that festering, pustulous blob that was indeed where you said it was, throbbing and reeking of putrescence! (Anyone remember the Monty Python restaurant sketch about the waiter who committed suicide because of a spot on a spoon?)

What REALLY concerns me is not the dust speck, as they are par for the course for DSLR users, (and in spite of what Pentax or any other makers blurbs say, these DR systems will not be foolproof - period. Sp**cks happens.) but the selective and misleading way you, RiceHigh represented and summarized the dpReview thread. I read the thread through carefully - the concerns, the replies, the suggestions, and learned much about dust specks, break in periods, - things that made a whole lot of sense, from people trying to be HELPFUL, not so nit-picking critical. I did not read of people ready to fall on their swords because of a dust speck, but helpful information from fellow photographers about a still developing technology, obviously with a ways to go. The whole tone of the thread was very different than the selective and "strain at a gnat and swallow a camel" representation from you. I live in a dry, dusty part of the world, and expect dust from time to time. I deal with it, and although I hope that Pentax's efforts at addressing this issue will help, I am realistic enough to understand that by nature and design of digital SLR's, these fuzzy bunnies will creep in from time to time, in spite of techonological efforts to deal with it. Duh.

There - I feel better now! You can respond, RiceHigh, about how you are misunderstood, are only trying to be helpful, about "did you really read what I said" or "you people can't handle the truth", or wth whatever scientific or "measurebations" data you want. You can complain about age demographics of who should own a Pentax, how Pentax engineers and public relations people are lying to us, or anything else you want, but for goodness sakes, don't you get the message by now? Your credibility in this forum, amongst a community of Pentax owners who wish to inform, share, and support one another, with one or two obvious exceptions, is nil.

No one wants to listen to you anymore, and that is a shame, (as you may have some valid points from time to time) but it is the truth. Please deal with it, as so many in this forum have attempted to help you understand, with no success. I fear I have wasted 10 minutes of my time trying to do the same, but what the heck?

Mark
oreo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 1:13 AM   #10
TDN

Guys, there is no point in telling ricehigh he is a measurbator, because he is proud of it! :lol:

on topic: no dust removal system is failsafe, although I'm 100% sure that if someone gets dust into a week old camera, he/she is not treating his/her material with enough care.
But dust will eventually happen. And if it's not dust it'll be a small hair or a little dirt. The solution is called eclipse and like tom said, it only takes 5 minutes.

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote