Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 23, 2006, 6:40 PM   #1

I bought the Sigma 24-70mm EX DG f/2.8 from adorama.com open box(demo unit). It didn't come with the box or manual but came with the case. The lens was in mint condition.

I still considered myself a a beginner photographer so I will review it from a point of view of a beginner.

This is the first "pro" lens that I've bought so far. The built quality on this lens feels very good compaired to my other sigma lens and the stock pentax lens that came with the camera. The lens itself is also pretty big with a 82mm front so the filter for this lens will cost more because of the size. Also the lens itself is pretty heavy. Personally I like to have a lens with a little weight on it because it makes the camera more "soild". But for some user, the weight of this lens might be a turn off for a casual walk-around lens.

The IQ on the lens is very good. Even though I am a beginner, I notice the difference between this lens and my other lens. This lens is very sharp and I havn't notice any purple flaring like I do with my other sigma lens.

The autofocus on this lens is somewhat slow in low light. I know that all lens slow down when there is not enough light. But I did notice that this was slower then my Sigma 28-200mm Aspherical IF. I did a test focus with both lens in my room on the same subject. I notice that the Sigma 24-70mm took some time to focus.

This lens is very good but there is some stuff that I don't like about it. Besides the weight and the bigger filter their is one thing that I should point out for anyone who is planning to buy this lens. The aperture ring is pretty usless on this lens mounted on the Pentax DS. Since the mount of the lens is smaller then the body of the lens, it is kinda hard to switch the aperture. I do not use the aperture ring myself but I think that if they put it on there, they would make it easier to use.

superakuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2006, 6:43 PM   #2

Here are some shots that I took today. I wish that I could of post most picture but for some reason a lot of the pictures are curroupted.

Pictures are resized to fit screen

Old Nov 23, 2006, 7:00 PM   #3
TDN

I really like the colors & contrast on those shots. Looks like you've got a keeper there!

You won't need the aperture ring in normal shooting situations, just when you use it with extension tubes., wich will make it easier to switch it too.

TDN
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2006, 7:21 PM   #4

I managed to save 3 more photo from my corrupted SD card.