Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 23, 2006, 7:27 PM   #1

Hi All,

I have a question to ask, Which lens is a better preformer. The sigma 24-135 f 2.8-4 or the Pentax 28-70 f4.

On my canon I had the Sigma 28-70 2.8-4 and it was pretty good.

Thanks,

Rudy
bluwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2006, 9:05 PM   #2

I have not had any experience with the Pentax, but absolutely LOVE the Sigma. A number of people have had some problems with it, however, but when you get a good one, which I assume most of them are, they are great. You may want to look at this thread, and there are others. Ira has some good comments also.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...ghlight=nznhut
nznhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 5:34 AM   #3

Hi,

Thank You. I have an istD coming with a Sigma 28-200mm and a Sigma 70-300mm APO. These are the same as I have with my Canon. They are two that I use a lot. The 24-135mm or the 28-70 f4 Pentax would replace my 28-70mm f 2.8-4that I use with my Canon.

Ichecked out that thread and Great shots!!! Do you know anyone that has a Battery Grip for the istD? The big camera stores still want full price for one..

Rudy
Old Nov 24, 2006, 2:49 PM   #4

Hi,

Well I went with the Pentax 28-70 f 4.0 SMC. Got it fora very good price. Thank you for the advice, But money determined the outcome.:G

Rudy
Old Nov 24, 2006, 6:55 PM   #5

i have read some really positive feedback on the sigma 24-135mm f/2.8-4. and if i had to choose between that our the pentax, i'd go with the sigma in a second.
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 8:26 PM   #6

The Sigma 24-135mm f2.8-4.5 is my most frequently used lens. It is very sharp with excellent out of focus highlights as well, due to the nine blade aperture. I have also heard excellent reviews on the Pentax.

The weaknesses:
- the Sigma: Many have had to be returned because they caused electronic issues with the Pentax DSLRs. Mine works fine.

- the Pentax: I believe this is the lens that sometimes suffers from the separation of two lenses that are cemented together. I do not know how common this is, or even what impact it has on image quality but it is worth checking first.

Ira
Monza76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 11:59 AM   #7

Hi Monza,

I have the Pentax coming. I hope that I have good luck with it. As I baby all of my gear. The Sigma might be on the horizon when money is better.

Rudy