Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 23, 2006, 11:18 PM   #1

I look back at a pict from my Canon G1 (3 m) days and one of the best I took ever was

http://www.pbase.com/danieltong/image/61450098/original

It was p&s with built in flash

And I read a new long article from NY times and try to figure it out but to no avail

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2006/...ogues-posts-2/

Interesting read.

Any input from you guys?

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 23, 2006, 11:37 PM   #2

As I mentioned in another post, my DS image starts to come apart at 300% in CS2, while my K10D starts at 300%.

Does that mean you need more than 6MP, not on your life, I have made prints up to 16x29 with my DS and they are impressive.

We are at the point with our DSLR sensors, where computers are with processors. Just how many pixels do you need for your type of photography, and how fast does your computer have to be for what you really use it for?

I don't see any P&S cameras putting out the quality DSLR's are capable of, but the new crop of DSLR's from any company do a job equal to what 90% of photographers need.

P&S cameras are no where near the quality of a DSLR, but they sure fit in your pocket better.

Tom
ennacac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 1:37 AM   #3

Just out of curiousity, but can you adjust the mp count on the k10d? If so, does it have the option of 8mp or does it jump straight down to 6? Because that would be pretty cool to have a bit more variety/options to use!
Patang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 7:31 AM   #4

Patang wrote:
Quote:
Just out of curiousity, but can you adjust the mp count on the k10d? If so, does it have the option of 8mp or does it jump straight down to 6? Because that would be pretty cool to have a bit more variety/options to use!
I don't see any reason to want to do that in the field while taking photographs. IMO, this is something you should do in post processing on a computer (you can always take away pixels at that stage, but you can't add pixels).

But to answer your question, page 50 of the manual (downloaded from http://www.pentaximaging.com) indicates you can choose between 10MP,6MP, and 2MP.

Paul
pbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 8:00 PM   #5

This is an interesting question, and to which there's not a complete answer. I can take pretty good pictures with the K100D. They look really good on both a computer monitor and up to the 8x11 that my printer is capable of. I've never tried to print bigger than that, so for me 6 mp is fine.

However, if you look at 100% cropped pictures taken with the K100D and the K10D, you can see that the K10Dseems to capturemore detail. That can be handy when you are cropping, or printing bigger size with a top quality printer that can do something with that extra information. So it all depends. For me? Probably not, though I'd like a K10D for other reasons.
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 8:29 PM   #6

well let's compare, here are 100% crops from a 10.2mp k10d and a 6.1mp *ist dl.

first the k10d:
Attached Images

ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 8:29 PM   #7

now the *ist dl:
Attached Images

Old Nov 24, 2006, 8:33 PM   #8

and honsetly i really can't tell the difference until i enlarge to about 200% and at 300% it becomes noticeable. here is a 300% overlay of sections of both pics.
Attached Images

Old Nov 24, 2006, 9:30 PM   #9

When analyzing photos at 10mp and 6mp it would be useful to use the same lens. The difference between 10mp and 6mp is not that huge. However, when I compare my Sony R-1 photos (10.3mp) with those from my K100D, then I can much more easily see the difference. My assumption has been that the difference was in the lenses. What do you think?

Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 10:58 PM   #10

mtclimber wrote:
Quote:
When analyzing photos at 10mp and 6mp it would be useful to use the same lens. The difference between 10mp and 6mp is not that huge. However, when I compare my Sony R-1 photos (10.3mp) with those from my K100D, then I can much more easily see the difference. My assumption has been that the difference was in the lenses. What do you think?

Sarah
Sarah,

Yes. The difference as far as I can see are in hardware (lens & sensor) and software as well (firmware)

It should be interesting and there will be comparison between pict made by K10D and K100D

http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2006/...ogues-posts-2/

In real life situation it is difficult , if not impossible, to tell the difference as detailed in the article in nytimes. It did not use the 200% or 300% method though.

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote