Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 24, 2006, 5:53 PM   #11

thehotel wrote:
Quote:
Hi Roy. Is this the one I should order?? Sigma 1.4X EX APO Teleconverter for Pentax AF

I know how to find wildlife but don't know about cameras.

after reading your last post makes me think-- have you ever used a 500mm lens?? the 50-500 sigma weighs about 4 pounds. in order to use it handheld you are going to HAVE to have a shutter speed of at least 1/500 second. i've seen good results handheld with this lens but it was from very experienced people. at 400-500mm you almost always need to use a tripod or at least a monopod. i'm sure people here that have used the magnification we are talking about will agree. with a 1.4x TC on a 500mm lens---forget it if it's not on a tripod. that would also give you a ''minimum'' aperture of about f9.. ck this thread out.
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80
everyshot there refering to the 500mm was taken using a tripod.

you're response in red above raises quite a few questions. i'd just not like to see you spend $2000 and not be happy.. long tele's are a whole different road to walk. i'm still very much getting use to it.. BUT, i love my 500.. and its f4.5..

roy
Old Nov 24, 2006, 6:07 PM   #12

Hey Roger....just wanted to let you know that I checked Ebay for you & nothing is available atthis timefor a Sigma 1.4 teleconverter for a Pentax. Furthermore, I like to second everything that has already been said. The 2x is too much & not worth it...not sure about the 1.4 yet (on my wish list still). I've got the SIgma 170-500mm & I like it because I got a good deal on it ...I would much rather get the 50-500mm from what I've heard the glass is better.

Looking forward to seeing the wildlife posts!

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 6:30 PM   #13

robar wrote:
Quote:
thehotel wrote:
Quote:
Hi Roy. Is this the one I should order?? Sigma 1.4X EX APO Teleconverter for Pentax AF

I know how to find wildlife but don't know about cameras.

after reading your last post makes me think-- have you ever used a 500mm lens?? the 50-500 sigma weighs about 4 pounds. in order to use it handheld you are going to HAVE to have a shutter speed of at least 1/500 second. i've seen good results handheld with this lens but it was from very experienced people. at 400-500mm you almost always need to use a tripod or at least a monopod. i'm sure people here that have used the magnification we are talking about will agree. with a 1.4x TC on a 500mm lens---forget it if it's not on a tripod. that would also give you a ''minimum'' aperture of about f9.. ck this thread out.
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=80
everyshot there refering to the 500mm was taken using a tripod.

you're response in red above raises quite a few questions. i'd just not like to see you spend $2000 and not be happy.. long tele's are a whole different road to walk. i'm still very much getting use to it.. BUT, i love my 500.. and its f4.5..

roy
"you're response in red above raises quite a few questions. i'd just not like to see you spend $2000 and not be happy.. long tele's are a whole different road to walk. i'm still very much getting use to it.. BUT, i love my 500.. and its f4.5.."

Roy thank you for the above comment.

My first and only camera was purchased in August of 2005 and I decided to chase free ranging wildlife in January of this year. I only have a 9th grade education so I don't read or write real good. I am 64 years old and my daddy was a guide and outfitter and I also am a guide so I do know how to find wildlife. My stalking wildlife photos have done very well as far as selling is concerned. I don't believe it is the quality of the photos but the close ups and the in flight photos seem to get people excited. My best sellers are of animals looking at me (posing) and this has nothing to do with the camera. I have decided I need better quality photos so I am going to try a DSLR camera to replace my FZ30. It will require a learning curve but that is OK I am very stubborn. I have been told that a DSLR camera is better for low light and wildlife like low light. I also have been told this camera would be much better for my in flight shots. I always use a monopod as a walking, climbing stick & for my camera. I do go to some far back in the woods places.

Since I don't read real good I figured I would ask you folks to help me pick the best stuff for my style of photos.

Probably my Osprey photos show best what I am talking about. Here is a link to the Osprey photos.
http://www.digiscopingdigest.com/sea...match_type=any

Thanks to all who are trying to help me. I am looking forward to trying to learn this Pentax k10d camera.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7

WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 6:31 PM   #14

Thank you wadue. I am sure it will be a while befor I get any keepers with the new k10d but I will keep trying until I do.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

wadue wrote:
Quote:
Hey Roger....just wanted to let you know that I checked Ebay for you & nothing is available atthis timefor a Sigma 1.4 teleconverter for a Pentax. Furthermore, I like to second everything that has already been said. The 2x is too much & not worth it...not sure about the 1.4 yet (on my wish list still). I've got the SIgma 170-500mm & I like it because I got a good deal on it ...I would much rather get the 50-500mm from what I've heard the glass is better.

Looking forward to seeing the wildlife posts!

Ron
Old Nov 24, 2006, 11:52 PM   #15

Wow, Roger...are all of those pictures on that link taken by you??? If they are, you are very talented! From the ospreys (my favorites are the one flying with the fish & the one after a crow) to the muleys to black bear...all are awesome!!! Keep up the fine work!!!

Really looking forward to more! If you're interested, you may like the wildlife forum also! There are some very interesting shots there as well!!!

Ron
wadue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 9:50 AM   #16

Morning Ron, thanks for the very nice comment and for taking the time to look. Yup they are my photos and yes even old guys get lucky once in a while. Like I said before I have been told that I can get more keepers with a DSLR and good glass so that is my goal for this coming year.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

wadue wrote:
Quote:
Wow, Roger...are all of those pictures on that link taken by you??? If they are, you are very talented! From the ospreys (my favorites are the one flying with the fish & the one after a crow) to the muleys to black bear...all are awesome!!! Keep up the fine work!!!

Really looking forward to more! If you're interested, you may like the wildlife forum also! There are some very interesting shots there as well!!!

Ron
Old Nov 25, 2006, 10:58 AM   #17

very nice shots roger.. takes patience to get those shots. i had forgotten about the SR in the k10d. that will help a lot...

roy
Old Nov 25, 2006, 2:07 PM   #18

Hi Roy, I also think the SR should help. Patience is easy when you are outdoors. 2 to 3 hours hiding in a bush watching and waiting for the right shot is fun because you are outdoors and if you do get a photo then that is a bonus. Thanks for the nice words about my photos. I read where the manual for the K10D is over 200 pages long and to me that is going to be a big challenge but so be it.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

robar wrote:
Quote:
very nice shots roger.. takes patience to get those shots. i had forgotten about the SR in the k10d. that will help a lot...

roy
Old Nov 25, 2006, 2:18 PM   #19

there's always us..
when do you expect delivery.

roy
also, you can probably d/l the manual from pentax and get a head start.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 3:10 PM   #20

I went to Pentax last night and found the manual and started on it. I will go back again today and re-read the 3 pages I got done yesterday then start on another few pages.

The folks at Adorama have been very nice and helpfull to me so I called them and asked them to change my wish list to a order and to change the teleconverter to a 1.4 from the 2. I am suppose to call them back Monday morning and talk to Mike to get it done. I am guessing I should get the stuff around the middle of December. This should give me some time to understand all the camera talk in the manual.

Here is a link to my wish list and if you all see anything I am missing or something that needs to be changed PLEASE let me know. From what I have been told I THINK I got it covered.
http://www.adorama.com/catalog.tpl?op=WishList

I reall appriciate how helpfull you all have been and if there is anything I can do for you all just ask.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

robar wrote:
Quote:
there's always us..
when do you expect delivery.

roy
also, you can probably d/l the manual from pentax and get a head start.