Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 24, 2006, 12:20 PM   #1

Stalking Wildlife Lenses ????

I am getting ready to place my order for a K10D and two lenses and hope to get some comments from you all about my lens choice.
I specialize in stalking wildlife photos so I need zoom lenses. I use a monopod since many places I go a tripod just is not possible.
My walk around lens and the lens for my background photos
Tamron Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto SP AF 24-135mm f/3.5-5.6 AD Aspherical IF Autofocus Lens for Pentax AF
My close up lens
Sigma Zoom Normal-Telephoto 50-500mm f/4-6.3 EX DG Autofocus Lens for Pentax AF
Sigma 2x EX APO Autofocus Teleconverter for Pentax AF

If anybody has suggestions for a better two lens I would appreciate your input.

Thanks in advance

Stalking Wildlife photos: The large photo or background photo is where we found the animal and the insert is after we have stalked in closer to get the close up shot
If anybody wants to see Stalking Wildlife photos are here is a link to one of my web sites.
http://www.digiscopingdigest.com/
WackyRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2006, 12:33 PM   #2

you've got the range down pretty good. i think sigma has a 135-500 that may be a half stop faster. i'd have to look tho.

roy
Old Nov 24, 2006, 1:13 PM   #3

Roy, thanks for looking and for commenting. I am going to check out the 135 to 500

TOTALLY WACKY roger
FZ 30, Nikon TCE17, QuikAim Max RDS, Zeiss Digiscope/Sony W7

robar wrote:
Quote:
you've got the range down pretty good. i think sigma has a 135-500 that may be a half stop faster. i'd have to look tho.

roy
Old Nov 24, 2006, 1:36 PM   #4

I have one question.
I am guessing you are planning to use the 2x teleconverter with the 50-500mm f/4-6.3 ex.
That cuts 2 stops of light and makes the lens approx an F/12 at the 500mm end.

I am not familiar with the Pentax K10D capabilities, but in both Canons and Nikons they will not permit autofocus much beyond F5.6 (they do allow the F/6.3). There is a cutoff in their firmware to prevent the camera going into endless seeks when there is not enough light to AF with.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 1:41 PM   #5

for a TC i haven't had much luck with the 2Xs on zooms. i'd suggest a 1.4X. with that you only lose one stop and you get a 700mm lens. that's a lot of reach..

roy
Old Nov 24, 2006, 2:41 PM   #6

i'd have to second roy on the teleconverter. i bought a 2x to double the length of my 300mm lens even though i knew i was going to lose two stops with my f/5.6, howevernow i'd rather just use the 1.4x and only lose 1 stop. with a f/6.3... i'd probably only want to lose one stop if any at all.

a 500mm w/1.4x teleconverter x 1.5 crop factor = 1050mm
ishino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2006, 2:43 PM   #7

PeterP & robar

Thanks for your responce. I am trying to find a 1.4 teleconverter for tht sigma 50 - 500 lens that will work on the k10d.

Thanks to both of you for trying to help me.

TOTALLY WACKY roger
Old Nov 24, 2006, 2:50 PM   #8

Thanks for the information ishino. I am trying to find a 1.4 teleconverter the best one available that will work with my set up.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

ishino wrote:
Quote:
i'd have to second roy on the teleconverter. i bought a 2x to double the length of my 300mm lens even though i knew i was going to lose two stops with my f/5.6, howevernow i'd rather just use the 1.4x and only lose 1 stop. with a f/6.3... i'd probably only want to lose one stop if any at all.

a 500mm w/1.4x teleconverter x 1.5 crop factor = 1050mm
Old Nov 24, 2006, 3:23 PM   #9

try HERE..

also, i doubt any TC is going to AF with the 50-500. there's just not enough light to activate the AF. i've got a tamron 2x and it will not AF my only AF lens. the kit lense which has a lowest f-number of f3.5.

roy
Old Nov 24, 2006, 3:56 PM   #10

Hi Roy. Is this the one I should order?? Sigma 1.4X EX APO Teleconverter for Pentax AF

I looks like I will be using manuel focus a lot.

Thanks you very much for helping out a old guy that really doesn't know much about cameras. I know how to find wildlife but don't know about cameras.

TOTALLY WACKY roger

robar wrote:

Quote:
try HERE..

also, i doubt any TC is going to AF with the 50-500. there's just not enough light to activate the AF. i've got a tamron 2x and it will not AF my only AF lens. the kit lense which has a lowest f-number of f3.5.

roy