Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Pentax / Samsung dSLR, K Mount Mirrorless

Old Nov 24, 2006, 11:27 PM   #1

A couple of images fromthe last few weeks. In no specific order.

Flames and Bags Sigma 17-70mm @ 70mm

Veteran's Day Sunset (HDR) with the kit lens

Veterans Day Sunset large Panorama - Stitched from 4 Images (DL with Kit Lens)
http://wheelgunner.zoto.com/galleries/panogallery/detail/0/
I recommend full size view from that page (link under the picture)

Edsel Wagon Sigma 17-70mm @ 19mm/ F11

Alien in my Yard Kiron/Lester Dine 105mm Macro @ F3.5

Auburn Speedster Sigma 17-70mm @ 37mm/ F8

HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 24, 2006, 11:53 PM   #2

I really love your first one, though all of them are your usual outstanding photos. That first one is something special to me (as I'm turning green with envy). I'm running out of superlatives for your photos, they are always so special!
mtngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 1:58 AM   #3

What's your secret on getting such sharp, clear, vibrantly colored pics? Did you use a tripod/monopod? Did you shoot in jpeg or raw? For that first shot, what did you do in post processing? Am I asking too many questions? Teach me Obi Won!
royce10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 2:46 AM   #4

The butterfly makes me smile! (And the other ones makes me look the other way when I see my own car. Shame on you, HogR!)

Kjell

bilybianca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 8:00 AM   #5

Really great shots, nice to see excellent quality and composition on entirely different subjects. I personally like the sunset - probably because of the warm feel to it.

It's cold and wet here at the present time.

Steve
Stev1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 8:12 AM   #6
TDN

As always, excellent
TDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 8:30 AM   #7

Great shots

Particularly the first and last ones.

You have eyes forreflected image

Daniel
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 9:47 AM   #8

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

royce10 wrote:
Quote:
What's your secret on getting such sharp, clear, vibrantly colored pics? Did you use a tripod/monopod? Did you shoot in jpeg or raw? For that first shot, what did you do in post processing? Am I asking too many questions? Teach me Obi Won!
I am speechless!:shock: I would also like to tag along with Royce10 and ask as to what some of your secrets are. Jay
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 11:11 AM   #9

Wow - thanks all for the nice comments. I am going step by step how I made the first one for example:

I shot in Raw and I never mess around with adjusting white balance, or any other camera settings - everything is set to neutral. I shot in AV mode (90% of the time) and made a -0.5 step adjustment. I really do not remember if I had the tripod for that shot, I know that I used it on the Edsel picture.

I converted this picture with the new Silkypix 3.0 trial which is about to expire. I do not recall any special settings on that one but almost always I do 1 step up in sharpen, 1 step up in contrast, and sometimes I add 1 step in Vivid color - although this one was very colorful from the beginning on. If there is noise reduction needed - I always do it later in Paint Shop Pro.

All the above steps could have also be done in the Pentax Software, although the Silkypix interface is so much nicer to work with. Either way - the Image then gets saved as 16 bit TIFF. I do convert all my Images at once.

Back to the original Saddle Bag photo. I opened in Paint Shop Pro and (probably) adjusted the following: 1 click USM, then maybe a little contrast, then crop, then save as full size JPG (for later), then resize, maybe another step of USM, then frame and signature and save as the resized jpg as you can see for forum posting. Honestly I did not do a lot with this images - it was just one of those shots that looked already nice when in RAW.

My USM Setting almost always: Radius: 0.70, Strength: 35, Clipping 0 So it is very little sharpening actually.

100% from full size JPG. I noticed (arrow) that I did not use a tripod in this shot - lol

HogRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2006, 11:57 AM   #10

Hello Hog-

The photos look great! Perhaps I read your post incorrectly, but didn't you possibly say that you were leaving Pentax and moving to an Olympus set-up? I was wondering what factors might have lead you in that direction?

Sarah
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote